Cannot remove Read-Only MP3s or set Sansa as drive letter

Hello all! :)  I just purchased a Sansa Express, and copied over my first batch of MP3s.  Apparently, some of the MP3s were set to read-only in Windows (not sure why, weren’t purchased/protected files), and after transfer to the Sansa I cannot individually remove them or overwrite them.  I’ve corrected the file flag on my PC for the particular files, and I can wipe the entire Sansa, but I’m looking for an easier way should this happen again.

I’m also trying to find a way to recognize the Sansa as a drive letter in Windows, for direct music/file transfers.  I tried to locate instructions for this on the support site, but it was a bit…lacking.

For additional info, I’m running WinXP Pro x64 Edition w/USB 2.0 and Windows Media Player 11, and my model of Sansa Express is SDMX6R-1024P.  If you need any other info, please ask. :slight_smile:

Message Edited by Taliesin on 08-02-2007 03:19 AM

I have the same problem, also, when formating to remove the read-only mp3 it seem that the “music” folder sometime disappears and sometime appears…stange.  I think that the new firmware is not very good, it was better before…

formatting is probably the easiest way to remove the read only songs. as for the drive letter, the express is a MTP only device so there is no setting to change to make it show up as a drive letter. you can however use device manager to force the express into MSC by loading the MSC drivers.

after you format the device if the music folder is not showing up just sync a song through WMP it will recreate the folders you need.

Hmm, ok.  Will WinXP be able to use it’s own internal drivers for MSC mode, or is there a separate driver pack that will need to be downloaded?

You should be able to use WinXP’s own drivers to do this…

Open the Device Manager, right click on the Express, Update Driver, “No, not at this time.”, Next, “Install from a list or specific location.”, Next, “Don’t search.  I will choose the driver to install.”, Next,  “USB Mass Storage Device”, Next…

When you want it back in MTP mode, just do the same as above, but choose MTP Device.

Good Luck.

Open the Device Manager, right click on the Express, Update Driver, “No, not at this time.”, Next, “Install from a list or specific location.”, Next, “Don’t search.  I will choose the driver to install.”, Next,  “USB Mass Storage Device”, Next…

When you want it back in MTP mode, just do the same as above, but choose MTP Device.

I tried this changing to USB Mass Storage Device, now I can’t change it back to MTP mode. When I follow the above procedure, MTP is not listed!

I definitely want it back in MPT mode. Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks

Found it. I was just looking in the wrong place.

WOW Captain_Morgan your answer solves my problem too… In MSC mode you have access to file permisions so you can UNread-only the files. This is great I look everywere for this and now I got it.