Can you help me upload a cd track into my MP3 player?

I’ve had my player for about 5 years or more…It’s called a ‘Digital Audio Player’ , Model SDMX1…I haven’t uploaded anything into the player for a long time and don’t know how now.  Can anyone help?

Here’s a photo of the SDMX1. There was also a blue version that looks pretty nice. Transferring music to this machine is a snap.  But there’s a catch: the music on a Compact Disc is uncompressed digital audio  (PCM format), and must be converted for use on the device.

I just love catch phrases, like “piece of cake” or “easy as pie”. Most folks today don’t realize it, but the art of baking is really an art, isn’t it?

Now for the requisite ingredients. All you need is one Compact Disc, a computer with Windows Media Player, an internet connection, and the little cable to plug in your player. The machine can decode and play MP3 or WMA format music files.

Here’s a copy of the original User Guide for you.

For fun, I gave it a quick once over. My, how things have changed!  Transferring files over to the device isn’t really described very well, but we can make it simple.

Have you had any experience using Windows Media Player?  In a nutshell, all you need do is open the application, then insert your favorite Compact Disc. Locate the  Rip tab at the top, then just below that (this varies depending upon the version of WMP you are running), select the  format for the media files. You can choose MP3 or WMA (Windows Media Audio) for the SDMX1, just be sure you don’t select “WMA Pro” as this not compatible.

The next detail is the  bit rate or quality of the media. I like 160 kb/s as it’s right in the middle, and yields a nice size. Once you click on Start Rip, as long as you have an internet connection, WiMP will automatically insert the proper file information for your player, in the form of ID3 tags. This is the information your player needs to locate the music based upon song title, album name, artist, and genre.

Windows Media Player will compress the CD music into a compact format that takes up far less memory than the contents of that CD would. The completed album will be stored in your PC’s media library.

There are two ways to then transfer the music to your device, the easiest right now is to use the  Sync**  **function. Before you do this, I must stress that you can keep it simple and direct, if you use sync manually.  To do this, plug in the SDMX1 and it will appear on the left side of the WiMP screen. Click on the Sync tab, then drag the album (or individual song tracks) to the sync pane, or the list on the right. A single click on the Start Sync button will transfer the music to your player.

The alternative method is a little more tricky the first time around, but you can use Windows Explorer to transfer files from My Library > Music right to the (connected) SDMX1.

Welcome to our little group! Should you have any problems or questions, please feel free to post them here!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Is my player too old for me to get any help?

Oh Bob I didn’t realize your message was a reply to mine! Thank you!  My little player is silver so I thought your picture was a whole new message with a different player.  I can’t do this right now, but I will go through your instructions within a few days.  Thanks so much again!

Marion

No worries, here’s the silver one.  As long as the music is in MP3 or WMA format, as Windows Media Player can encode for you, or you can use an application like Winamp or Media Monkey too. Windows Media Player is available with any Windows PC, so it’s quite handy.

The only quirk with WiMP is using its “auto sync” feature, which likes to try taking over your player.  This is why I recommend using the Sync feature manually, by simply dragging and dropping the desired tracks to the list on the right, then sync them over. The operation is as simple as dragging and dropping with Windows Explorer.

If you have music on CD, WiMP is really convenient to use, once you get the hang of it.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, someone asked for basic help ripping/converting an audio CD WITHOUT it turning into a confusing, insulting, and ultimately pointless audiophile argument. That seems quite rare to me.

Hello again Bob!

Oh my goodness, I finally worked on my player with your instructions.  My sincere apologies for not getting to it earlier , after all your efforts to explain so well.  I got overwhelmed and procrastinated, I’m afraid.  Well, I just had luck putting a cd into the player, so thank you!  After the tracks were ripped, I did not have luck moving them to the sync list, But somehow they were in my itunes (which is my computer’s default program - maybe that’s why?)  and with my player plugged in, I could just click on each track and click on ‘send to’ for each track,and then click the player (“SDMX1”) in the ‘send to’ menu.  Voila!

Now I have another question , I also successfully put another separate Mp3  into the player. But even though the list (on the computer, when I plug the player into the computer) of what’s in the player shows that this new MP3 is in the player,  I can’t find it anywhere in there when I put my headphones on and have the player on!  It is a 'compressed (zipped) folder" it says, 33,991 KB - I have no idea what any of that means…But I would imagine that if the player tells me that it is in there, I should be able to find it and listen to it.

Do you have any tips on this?  Thanks so very much!

Marion 

Hi again Bob,

If you still have patience…well, I tried the same system to download another cd and I couldn’t get it to work.  When I go to drag the ripped tracks (in WiMP now) to the sync list, the list won’t accept them and there is a tiny little red circle with a line through it with each track as I drag…So now I have 2 questions (see earlier post today)…thanks so much if you can shed any light!

Marion

@mandomom wrote:

I also successfully put another separate Mp3  into the player. But even though the list (on the computer, when I plug the player into the computer) of what’s in the player shows that this new MP3 is in the player,  I can’t find it anywhere in there when I put my headphones on and have the player on!  **It is a 'compressed (zipped) folder" it says, 33,991 KB - I have no idea what any of that means…**But I would imagine that if the player tells me that it is in there, I should be able to find it and listen to it.

Does this files have the 3-digit file extension of “.zip”? That is a compressed file, used frequently for albums downloaded from the internet. You must first “extract” it to reveal the .mp3 files inside. Those should play fine once transferred to your player. Note if this is the case, you may discover some other files combined with the audio ones, like cover art (.jpg) and so on.

Windows (if using) should be able to extract the .zip file for you. Right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select “Extract All…”