Can't seem to lock Fuze+

According to http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5306/~/locking-and-unlocking-the-sansa-fuze%2B,

Firmware Version 02.36.03 and later
Locking the device:

- Press power button for .5 sec and then release

Unlocking the device:

• Press power button for .5 sec and then release

This doesn’t work for me. Does it for anyone?

yes, it works well for everyone and most all seem happy with the new functionality. firmst go to settings > info and make sure you are using firmware version 02.36.03, lock feature was different in past firmware versions. if you are using the new firmware it is just a quick tap of the power button about half a second and it will engadge the key lock. 

I’ve tried that and can’t make it work. I am using 02.36.03A.

if the button works to turn it on and off i see no reason why the lock would not work. you know how counting a second is like saying “one one thousand” to lock and unlock it is is like saying “one one” 

If I couldn’t make it work after several attempts, then it’s been implemented poorly.

works fine for everyone else. 

I hold for exactly one second., or until I see the lock screen (has a huge metal looking gold lock on it.)

Try reinstalling firmware?

This function works.   A few times a day (1 in 4) I shut the unit off trying to lock it.  I am used to how long I had to hold the play button to get the unit to lock.  Due to the fact that I am running an 8GB  memory cart, when I turn the unit  off by mistake it takes one minute and twenty three second to the the unit back on.

I think I will be over this problem in a week.  I think some older user may not be able to handle the 0.5 second operation.  For them it would have been good to have the delay programmable in the settings menu like the sleep option.  Maybe make the lock come on in 1.5 second and show the lock for 1.5 second before the unit shuts down.  It may be good to test this on 10 old people (55+) before releasing it.  For some, nothing is going to be good enough.

@drlucky wrote:

works fine for everyone else. 

Umm, well, No, actually. I’m on 2.37.01, and I have an issue (still) with the power button. I can lock it O.K. (usually), but it has a habit of skipping back to the beginning of the track, or a previous track as I lock. A pain when you are mostly through a track before locking.

Un-locking is a real crapshoot. Either it often takes several attempts, or I end up powering off by mistake. Then, like another poster, spend a minute or so waiting for the ■■■■■■ come back to life.

all it takes is a quick tap of the power button about half a sec. if you press it and say in your head “one one” kinda like “one one thousand” but leave off the thousand you will have it prefectly. 

Why Sandisk do not leave at least an option to select the method of locking??

I prefer the legacy method with holding play, now if I put the player into the pocket and power button is accidentally pressed it turns off.

Glad i found this post, I didn’t know that they had changed the lock button. I just thought my Fuze was broken.

I bought a Fuze two weeks ago. Lock worked fine per user guide. Then it stopped working. I was about to return the device as broken. Of course I had installed the latest firmware in the meantime–big mistake! Only from this forum did I stumble onto the basic change in the operation of this core function. That in itself is not acceptable. E.g. the User Guide currently available for download still documents only the former system of holding the play/pause button.

Contrary to Drlucky’s comments, neither I nor my wife can get this method to work cosistently. As others have noted, it is all too easy to completely shut the power off when attempting either to lock or unlock. “Just tapping for one-half second” does NOT work. In general, the power button is difficult to operate – a simple sliding toggle would be far easier and more reliable.

Future firmware upgrades should at least return the option of holding pause/play to lock, and also for adjusting the timing for using the on/off switch both to lock/unlock and to start/stop the device altogether. 

Another work around would be to “downgrade” to earlier firmware. Is this possible? (Sort of like paying extra for Windows7 with the XT downgrade!) 

Hi Guys,

Seems like some of you like myself have been having trouble trying to lock it, now this Fuze+ I have now is a replacement for the one I got on Saturday 29th Oct. '11, due to a fault in that one

I also had another one which i had for 4 months until I left it in my shorts which went into the washing machine.

well long story short, just hold down the play/pause button for approx 3 seconds to lock it.

adios 

@andz27 wrote:

well long story short, just hold down the play/pause button for approx 3 seconds to lock it.

This only works with the original firmware. The locking procedure was changed to the power button with the 1st update after the Fuze+ came out. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@andz27 wrote:

This only works with the original firmware. The locking procedure was changed to the power button with the 1st update after the Fuze+ came out. :wink:

Oh really? because i got the black sansa fuze + earlier this year and i had to hold the power button to lock it, and i didn’t update the firmware or anything, but this one I have now i have to press the play/pause button, which to me is much better :slight_smile: