Bug Report: Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.17 RDS information disappears

Hello,

Product: Clip Zip

Firmware: 01.01.17

Problem: Turn the player off when listening to an FM station broadcasting RDS information.  Turn the player back on.  RDS information is not reacquired nor is it acquired when tuning to other RDS stations.

Workaround: Start playing a music file, go back to FM and listen to the station and RDS information is reacquired.

Thank you for your consideration!

@tonybigs wrote:

Hello,

Product: Clip Zip

Firmware: 01.01.17

Problem: Turn the player off when listening to an FM station broadcasting RDS information.  Turn the player back on.  RDS information is not reacquired nor is it acquired when tuning to other RDS stations.

Workaround: Start playing a music file, go back to FM and listen to the station and RDS information is reacquired.

Thank you for your consideration!

I tried this after upgrading and indeed that’s what happens with my CZ too (RDS info gone).   I can’t even get the RDS information back doing what Tony describes to restore it.

I hope the developers get this fixed soon.

Don’t know if it makes a difference but the music file is an .ogg file with album art in a file called folder.jpg.

I was using MP3s but the folder did contain the folder.jpg cover art.  Most users would use MP3s.

One question: are you using MSC or MTP?  I switched to using MTP since my wife’s car will read the

files on my Clip Zip and immediately be set up like an iPod/iPhone for navigation.  No need to

wait for the car’s internal systems to create an index (which is what happens with USB keys in it).

Doesn’t matter, it’s still a bug and needs to be patched at the next firmware release.

Definitely have to pass this one on!  I can replicate  the same behavior.  After opening a music file, FM RDS again displays normally.  Interesting find.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Definitely have to pass this one on!  I can replicate  the same behavior.  After opening a music file, FM RDS again displays normally.  Interesting find.

I cannot make mine come back on again Neutron Bob.  I had the player in MTP mode (wife’s car can handle PlayForSure devices so it’s slick for that).  But I got fed up with MTP mode otherwise and wiped all music clean, switched to MSC mode, reloaded my music, and RDS on again.  Once.

I cannot make it come on again now.  I loaded some new music, thinking the refresh of the database would help.  Nope, RDS info is gone.  All my music is 128kb, 44.1kHz MP3 with a single “folder.jpg” image in each folder.   Don’t know what is different with mine but I cannot get that info back.  Player works properly otherwise though.

I may just roll back to v15 for now until this is fixed.

I can also confirm what TonyBigs stated about the RDS info being lost in the .17 release was also happening on my Zip too. I was not able to successfully get the info back with his work-around though.

I just back-dated to firmware version 01.01.15 and the RDS info is now back. Another strange thing I noticed was that with the .17 firmware and going through setting up my presets for the FM radio, there were less than 10 stations that came in clearly enough to even listen too, let alone save. When scrolling through setting up the presets after re-installing the .15 firmware there are many more stations being tuned in (more than 20), so it seems that there may be something in the latest f/w update that is affecting the FM tuner and it’s ability to receive incoming signal.

I noticed this phenomenon using the same earphones (same antenna) and sitting in the same place in my house, so reception should be identical, yet fewer stations were received with the .17 firmware than with the .15.

Tape,

You struck a nerve there!  I thought I might have been a poor reception area when working with the FM receiver, but in retrospect, it’s definitely a possibility that FM performance is affected with the .17 build.  I’ll have to try a reversion and compare.

The primary difference I noticed was evident when allowing the player to scan for the next station, as it skipped known frequencies.  Tuning manually, signal level appeared a little under par.

To restore RDS, I simply navigated to Music > opened a random track, paused, then went directly to FM.  Changing stations, RDS was back.

I like the addition of chapter display and EQ via the music submenu using .17!