Audible.com

Audible Manager is telling me :

Your Device is not Supported
---------------------------
Your SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB device model is not compatible with Audible content. Please click OK to see our supported devices in our Device Center.

My SanDisk device driver is up-to-date.  What now?

Thanks!

Sandisk has to work it out with Audible. I dont know where they are in the process but this has come up before. Both companys have been made aware of this issue.

This player is so new that these things will come up. As Firmware updates and Audible manager updates happen this will likely work itself out. 

I saw this on another forum yesterday…

Just checked with Audible as I’m the book freak. They said might have software within a month; I said that’s too long! I’m going to load a
ripped book and I’ll report on my reaction to the ClipZip and books.

Is posting this with your reply supposed to be a hint?

Conversion Box

Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

If so, please note, I did search for the word “audible” before asking my question.

I’m sorry if you have to answer the same question over and over again, but in this case, tough.  The advertising for the Zip brags it’s compatibility with Audible.   grrrr…

@detepe wrote:

Is posting this with your reply supposed to be a hint?

Conversion Box

Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

If so, please note, I did search for the word “audible” before asking my question.

I’m sorry if you have to answer the same question over and over again, but in this case, tough.  The advertising for the Zip brags it’s compatibility with Audible.   grrrr…

Thats My Signature. You are not who it was aimed at. This Forum is for a new player. Very little has been previously asked. In forums for The Fuze or Clip most things are rehashed 10 or more times. Thats who the signature is for. 

As for Audiobooks. I tried to add an audible book from my mac and that doesnt work either. A software update is needed for PC and For Mac… Im just out of luck (Its an Itunes thing). 

The Audible issue is odd, isn’t it?  One would think that Audible just “would work” with the Clip Zip, having worked with the original Clip and Clip+.  Hopefully, it gets sorted out sooner rather than later. 

Much sooner than later.  My daughter already laid claim to my Clip+.  Retrieval may be tricky…

I actually managed to get my audible.com books into Audio Books on my new Zip Clip, but they won’t play.

I’ve tried everything audible.com sent me and no luck.

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3751

Also get the “not recognized” message.

Hope this gets fixed soon.   Wouldn’t have purchased the Zip or the audio books if I knew it was this difficult.

The Audible Manager will have an update soon, allowing Audible book compatibility with the Clip Zip.

You will need the latest SanDisk Digital Players Plugin as soon as it is available.  This will be found under Updates for the Audible Manager client.

The Clip Zip is very new.  I’ll post here as soon as the plugin update is available from Audible. 

microsansa

audible tech support could have let me know that many hours ago and 3 emails ago

@microsansa wrote:

The Audible Manager will have an update soon, allowing Audible book compatibility with the Clip Zip.

You will need the latest SanDisk Digital Players Plugin as soon as it is available.  This will be found under Updates for the Audible Manager client.

The Clip Zip is very new.  I’ll post here as soon as the plugin update is available from Audible. 

microsansa

Thanks for the update, microsansa.  Hopefully, this will help avoid the time of frustration that others of us have faced.   :frowning:

Glad to have this info and will also be waiting for the update as I only listen to audiobooks on my MP3 players.  Overdrive from my library downloads to the clip zip just fine! :cry:

Thanks for the Overdrive info. (I’m coming to be less than entralled with Audible and its complications). Do you need to be in MTP USB mode on the Clip Zip, for Overdrive, or will Overdrive work with MSC mode as well? Any complications with using Overdrive (I never have)?

I’m getting the .aa file extention isn’t recognized by Overdrive

@nhbfan wrote:

I’m getting the .aa file extention isn’t recognized by Overdrive

It wouldn’t be. Audible uses the .aa file extension. Overdrive (software to d/l & install ‘borrowed’ library books) uses DRM-encrypted .wma files.

Play your favorite content from nearly every source (MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, Flac) plus Audio books

^^^

isn’t this misleading since audible.com is the leading seller of Audio books?

1.  Not misleading at all–while Audible licenses out audio books, so do many other sources (such as Podiobooks.com (free serialized audiobooks), emusic.com, Amazon, etc.); plus, your public library may have audio books available for borrowing, and your own audio book CDs can be ripped and put on your player.  “Audio book” and “audiobook” are general terms, not specific to Audible. 

2.  The Clip line has been compatible with Audible, and my understanding is that the Clip Zip is supposed to be as well–Audible just needs to release a plugin for the Clip Zip, which I understand is being worked on and is intended to be released this month.  (It would have been nice if it had been available when the Clip Zip first issued (some people, including me, had spent time trying to get Audible to work with the new player, only to be frustrated), but, ah, well, that’s software life.)

Audible has updated their data base. You can now add the Clip Zip as a new device in the Audible Manager. Once the Clip Zip has been added as a new device you can simply sync books as you normaly would.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

@slotmonsta wrote:

Audible has updated their data base. You can now add the Clip Zip as a new device in the Audible Manager. Once the Clip Zip has been added as a new device you can simply sync books as you normaly would.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Way cool–thanks for the good news!

Continuing Audible/Clip Zip issues   :(   and solutions   :slight_smile:

After multiple de-activates/activates, software uninstalls/reinstalls/upgrades, and dealing with 2 Audible techs. between yesterday and today (we’re talking hours, campers), it appears that Audible has not yet amended (or whatever it is) the Audible Manager to recognize the Clip Zip.  When I asked when this would happen by, one of the techs. told me that they couldn’t tell me, as they didn’t want me to be disappointed if the estimate wasn’t reached.  Rather, I was told that I should keep checking the Audible Manager on my computer–when the solution is in place, the Audible Manager will indicate that an upgraded version of it is available.

All is not lost, however, and there actually is a simple interim (or even total) solution:

1.  Connect the Clip Zip to your computer and then “activate” the Clip Zip, via either the Audible Manager or Audible Download Manager.  (Note:  you need to have your Audible username and password for this, as well as an Internet connection, if I recall correctly.)

With the Audible Manager, this can be done via the Devices menu listing at the top of the Audible Manager, or via the pane at the bottom left of the Audible Manager.  With the Audible Download Manager, this is an option under the Options drop-down menu, towards the top left of the window.  (Note:  my original Audible Download Manager didn’t have this feature, for some reason; a reinstall of the Audible software brought the feature back,)

2.  At that point, Audible audiobooks, etc. _ simply can be copied and pasted from where they are stored on your computer, to the Clip Zip _.  Just like copying and pasting (or dragging and dropping) files between folders on your computer.  No Audible Manager syncing is required (nor need you wait until the Audible Manager gets updated).

If you don’t know where the Audible downloads are stored on your computer, the Audible Manager and/or Audible Download Manager will indicate the location.  Typically, the downloads are stored in a downloads folder kept in an Audible folder, located under your computer’s My Documents or a similarly-named folder.  You also could do a search on your computer for *.aa files (Audible downloads use the .aa suffix).

For organization purposes, I pasted my Audible files to the Clip Zip’s Audible folder–I don’t know if this is required or if the Audible files can be stored elsewhere on the Clip Zip.

l actually even prefer this simple copy and paste solution over using the Audible Manager–no need to open the Audible Manager up, for this simple task.  At the very least, it’s just as easy, it seems to me.  

3.  Windows Media Player also can be used to transfer/sync the Audible content to the Clip Zip.  (At least, this works with WMP 11.)  Simply bring WMP up and transfer/sync the Audible selections you select over to the Clip Zip, under WMP’s Sync tab.  In fact, after I brought WMP up, it also, itself, offered to activate the Clip Zip for Audible purposes, via a pop-up window (once again, the Clip Zip must be activated before the selections can be transferred/synced to the Clip Zip; and your Audible username and password are needed for that).

If I recall correctly, WMP stored the Audible audiobooks under the Clip Zip’s Music folder rather than under the Clip Zip’s Audible folder–however, this could just be a matter of the WMP settings.

Under both the above methods, I verified that the Audible files then play fine on the Clip Zip, and appear under the Clip Zip’s books/Audiobooks listing.

Hope this meets everyone’s Audible needs, at least in the short-term!  And now, time to listen to some Audible audiobooks on my Clip Zip.   :slight_smile:

(A last point:  I don’t know if it makes any difference, but my Clip Zip’s USB setting was set to MSC mode, for all of the above.)