Any suggestions to make touchpad use easier?

So I had to kill a couple of hours waiting on a service technician to arrive and thought I’d take another look at the themes that Tapeworm linked to.  I admit the sheer volume of choices intimidated me on my initial look.  This time I found a couple of things that made it easier to for me to thin the herd.

One thing I missed the first time was the each theme will preview a couple of the screens if you ‘mouse over’ its display.  I also missed the link for each theme that would show the same screens all at once.

Most of them include previews of the main menu screen.  Disappointingly, many of them have the same size font as the default Rockbox menu, which I found to be too small.

Query:  why the heck would anyone design a menu that apparently leaves out the FM radio?  I don’t know, but around half the themes don’t have it.  Since that’s most of my use, those themes were out.

Once I eliminated those that were either used a small font or didn’t have an FM option, I was left with one theme: ‘Fresh’.  I didn’t have any trouble reloading RB or selecting the theme.  Once loaded I notice a Font setting that let me enlarge the font size.  However, change it did not affect the status bar or its clock, volume, or battery displays.  I can get by without being able to see the volume, but I need the clock and battery status when I’m exercising.  The ‘Fresh’ page shows the status bar data as enlarged, but I couldn’t find a setting to do it.  I searched the Rockbox forums but couldn’t find any references to changing the size of the status bar or its icons.  (My inability to find anything doesn’t mean that information isn’t there somewhere.)

It may be that the font setting exists in the other themes, and that some of them have customizable status bars, but I only know what I can see in the samples.  That takes me back to test driving them at random, and there are other things I’d rather do with my time.