Re: Annoying Rhapsody Problem

Okay, thanks for your help. After I made that last post, I tried putting some more tracks on the Fuze+, and got about 50 on the device. It seems to be working a little bit faster, though it's still taking over a minute to put a single track on the Fuze. Though it helps if I'm doing something else on the computer to pass the time.

Though it's still kinda messed up. For some reason, I put a bunch of tracks off 1 album on the Fuze, probably about 6, but it only recognized 3. It must not like Thin Lizzy.

Anyway, I guess I'll try reloading the Fuze again. 5th times a charm, right. At least i didn't get the 800 songs on it this time...

SanDisk User

Can you use Rhapsody as just a music management software for the Fuze+?

Or is it just a subscription music service?

SanDisk Fanatic

It has been a long time since I trusted the Rhapsody client for any information.  It still gives wrong information on how the progress bar is updated and how much space my channels take up during an update.

I know it sounds extreme, but I pull up Task Manager (or better, Resource Monitor) and monitor my network traffic.  If the Rhapsody process is busy receiving network traffic, then I know that I'm downloading from Rhapsody.  If it's receive bytes per second is really low (less than 1000) then I know the client is sitting doing nothing.

Sometimes I even browse the MTP folder structure and look in the Service/Rhapsody/Music/<Artist> folder and check that the files have downloaded.

I wish that Rhapsody was more stable and reliable in it's status updates, but since Rhapsody is barely making any money I accept the software as it is....bugs and all.  

SanDisk Professor

I agree with p_opus. The progress bar has never been that accurate for me.

SanDisk Guru

Agreed.  For a while, I fretted over the progress bar, until I realized that it's brain damaged.  At least the music transfer process has improved notably with the new Fuze and the latest Rhapsody 4 client.

I gladly put up with the quirks, since I haven't lost sight of how miserable it could get a few years ago.  Sometimes, you will note that the client will appear to freeze up.  Resist the temptation to restart, just give it a moment to wake up.

Bob  Smiley Wink

(Alright, just one last quick question) Well, I just re-formatted the Fuze+. (I thought I'd wait a while, just to see if it got any better) Anyway, I was just wondering, do you think it would be better to put songs onto playlists, and then put them on the Fuze, or just drag them straight from Rhapsody? With my old Fuze, (No +) I always dragged songs onto the device from playlists, but with my Fuze+, since day 1, I've never had much luck with playlists. Or does it matter?

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter now. I reformatted, and got a grand total of 3 songs! on the Fuze. 2 of them had been downloaded before hand. I guess I'll try later on and see if it works any faster. Boy, this is sure annoying.

SanDisk Guru

Compared against earlier Sansas, the Clip+ and Fuze+ are very fast with the Rhapsody service.  My old and trusty workhorse, the e200, has a special relationship with the Rhapsody client.

The client plays possum while the e200 mind melds with it for a little while.  Completely refreshing the Rhapsody Channels and updating is a task best done while I do something constructive and diverting, like a chapter of War and Peace, installing a cylinder head, or troubleshooting a dead server perhaps.  In contrast, I can plug in the Fuze while brewing a pot of coffee, it seems.

I'll open Rhapsody...let's do this while I pen this post...

Okay, I have Rhapsody 4 build 5.337 on this machine.  Go to Help > About and see what your build version might be.  Mine may indeed be a different version, as this particular one is related to the previous Best Buy build, but I reinstalled over the top of that when RealNetworks went through its "split" from BB a while back, then went to the latest as they found more mobile customers.  Rhapsody is a renewed animal as of late.

Regarding playlists, we run into a separate issue, with the Fuze+.  Playlists have been shown to slow the device a bit, in particular,if you have a big GoList built.  Since you've formatted yours, this shouldn't be a major issue.

With several playlists loaded on my testbed here, the Fuze+ is sailing on just fine.  Try loading, say, three complete albums, by dragging them over to the device, and see how the load goes.  Sometimes, folks will try loading a big group, totaling hundreds if tracks; this can cause issues at times.

Let me know how a transfer of a few albums goes.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk User

Can you use Rhapsody as just a music management software for the Fuze+?

Or is it just a subscription music service?

SanDisk Guru

Yes, the Rhapsody 4 client can be used to manage your music, rip CDs, just like Windows Media Player.  You don'thave to log in or subscribe to use the program.  It's handy for playlists too.

Bob  Smiley Wink