Highlighted

2GB microSD not responding

Hello,

I bought a 2GB microSD and it seems that the Express does not recognize it at all. I see it with a card reader, but once back in the express, nothing is seen. What's more, when the card is in, the express is extremely sluggish, becomes unstable and eventually unresponsive.

I thought the 2GB was the currently supported limit (with the hope of firmware updates to support bigger minis later).

I've formated the external disk twice with no change.

Please advise.

Dave
Highlighted

Re: 2GB microSD not responding

I'm experiencing this also.  What brand of memory card?  Mine is a Kingston.  I'm running firmware 01.01.01A.  There have been reports elsewhere that earlier firmware versions do not have this problem (see link), but there doesn't seem to be a supported way to revert to an earlier version (come on, Sansa, that should be easy...)

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18019
Highlighted

You hit it right on the head.

Mine also is Kingston. And I also am running the same firmware version (also most current).

I like this player quite a bit, but one main reason for buying was the microSD expansion capabilities. SanDisk can you address this in your next firmware update or provide access to earlier versions?

Thanks!

Dave

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Can you post the card code that is printed on the Kingstons?  I have 3 Kingstond MicroSD cards myself that seem to work with no issue but I do not have a 2GB version which may be the problem.

Highlighted

I, too, had a Kingston 2GB micro-SD card and I couldn't even get a card reader to recognize it, so I bought a SanDisk 2GB micro-SD card.  It worked for a while but eventually, the Express wouldn't recognize it.  I have reformatted it but I just can't get the Express to recognize it.  My card reader does recognize the SanDisk card.
Highlighted

It appears the item number is SD-C02G and the other number on it is 0722Y68943V. Again, it works fine in a card reader, but not in the SE. The card is new and purchased for this device.
Highlighted

I too am having the same problem with the Kingston card, but on mine it did work OK until I updated the firmware yesterday, so I have to assume it is a firmware problem and not a problem with the Kingston card and with SanDisk's upgrade program, it looks for what's installed and auto upgrades from there. I haven't found anyplace on their website to roll back any firmware. The version I update to last night is 01.01.01, and I don't know what I had before, but before it worked and now it doesn't.
Highlighted

As a follow up, I had a Sandisk 128MB card I inserted. In Windows MediaPlayer, it let me sync a playlist and looked like everything was fine. I removed the player, restarted it and although there was no lag, it couldn't see any playlist or music at all on either the internal memory or the 128MB SanDisk card. I removed the card and mysteriously all the internal music now shows up and plays. The playlist and songs copied to the 128MB card play and work fine, just not in the Express player. So I now doubt it has anything to do with the Kinsgton 2GB card since I'm getting, not the same, but a similar problem with SanDisk's 128MB card. I say not the same because I can't even sync the Kingston card while it's in the player. The Sandisk card will sync while in the player, but it's useless since with it installed the player can't see any of the music on it or in the internal mememory. 
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Same problem here, with something of a workaround (but one I consider unacceptable). I wonder if this has to do with low power conditions?

Bought a Sansa Express 1 MB, and a Lexar 2GB microSD with it. Hooked it up to XP and installed 01.01.01A firmware, then copied files to both chips (internal and the Lexar card). Listened for a while, then connected to my laptop to charge overnight. Next morning, dead Express. I learned that laptops might not put out enough jiuce on the USB port, so I bought a separate AC/USB charger and charged overnight again. Next day, no songs showed up from the microSD card. Upon further investigation, the card itself was not acknowledged by the player. As if it wasn't even present! For a while, I thought maybe the slot had gone bad.

I tried formatting and reformatting from the player software, with no luck.

Finally, I inserted the microSD into its full size SD adapter and then into a separate USB 8-in-1 card reader. Used Windows XP to reformat as FAT16 again.

When I returned the card to the Express, it was recognized and worked as before, with no problems. If a standalone card reader and computer are *required* to fix this bug, this is unacceptable. When I'm on the road, I don't have these things handy.

Whether this is a firmware bug or a power loss problem - it's a mistake and it should be fixed. It's a convenient and cool little player, but I did not buy it so that I could work out solutions to problems that it should not have in the first place. I refuse to beta test a problem this rudimentary. There's no way I can prevent it from running down power to some "mystery point" where it corrupts the microSD chip... I'll try to reproduce this, and if I can, it's going back.

James

Message Edited by jamesmhebert on 08-01-2007 09:56 PM
Highlighted

This is definitely related to the firmware upgrade...mine had been working beautifully up to that point. Don't have a card reader, but have tried re-formatting the card in my Canon Ixus and PS3 to no avail and yes the card is a Kinston 2gb.

Sandisk.. anyway to regress to the previous firmware version?