Re: Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

You understand the metal is what helps dissipate the heat, right? Removing it does more harm than good.

Mine Utra Fit 128Gb died (permanently gone to the read only state) after 11 month of work, very hot work. R.I.P.

(I posted a 'solution' earlier, but the links to the suggested cable, are now not supplying a suitable cable - fit is too loose )

Here is my solution -

Purchase an extension cable (Male and Female ends) that will help dissipate the heat. The female end has to have no rubber covering so that it is metal to metal and the metal is exposed to the air.

Also I (very much) like the female end to provide a VERY snug fit for the SanDisk thumb drive

This helps keep the heat manageable, and prevents any damage to the usb soclet on your laptop(etc)

I recently browsed eBay looking for a current sale that might match my requirements.

I just received one today and it is perfect.

Here is the link -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401193904343?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just ordered another 6, so be quick (He is only showing 4 left)

Rob

[ Edited ]

negusp, that was not the question and I think no, the metal will not conduct the heat well.

The extension cable is not a solution. Why would I buy a miniature Usb device and attach a cord and an adapter, thats ridiculous. 

Is anyone able to make the naked board work in an USB slot?

The metal will conduct heat far better than using a naked board.

What do you think heatsinks do? They dissipate heat from the main board by spreading heat over a larger surface area. The metal is crucial in this.

That is exactly what the extension intends to do, but more effectively. A naked board is not an effective solution.

sure, I must have missed the copper and heat conducting paste when opening. 

Anyone know why it doesn’t run board only?

Does it work when you reassemble it? You might have broken it with your clumsy handling Smiley Tongue

SanDisk Guru

"Anyone know why it doesn’t run board only?"

It wasn't designed to run that way?

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

"Anyone know why it doesn’t run board only? " - well my iphone doesn't run screen only. Any guesses why? Smiley Happy

Don't worry about heat. It shouldn't get too hot to operate. If it does, the manufacturer failed you so you can get it replaced. Just be sure to be reasonable and keep it fairly well ventilated.