Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

July 2019. I’ve just fitted a 128GB Dual Drive to a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus using the USB Type-C power/data connector port.

Within 5-10 minutes, the Dual Drive became so hot that I had to protect my hands to remove it.

My thinking is that Samsung have not provided any power regulation to protect peripheral devices from receiving too much power from the 3500mAh battery fitted in this 2018 design smartphone.

A quick look at Sandisk’s Dual Drive “compatibility” list – at http://www.sandisk.com/dualdrive-c – only lists older smartphones, which had lower mAh batteries. And I doubt very much that Samsung considered ‘regression testing’ of the Type-C USB port for peripheral power compatibility when they released their newer, higher power battery, 2018-19 smartphones.

I’ve submitted an alert to Sandisk and, to their credit, they’ve escalated my report, and are currently investigating the issue.

Meanwhile, if anyone has the appropriate electronics skills, it’d be interesting to measure the Amps power being output by older smartphones versus 2018-19 phones with significantly higher capacity batteries.