Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

So, its been a while, and I’d like to comment back on this USB. I’ve had it for over a year, run several Linux distros on it, and currently use it to store ROMs/Kernels/Flashables for my Nexus and Galaxy phones- in short, it works great as small expandable storage.

As a USB 2.0 device, that is. I’m highly disappointed in the heat department when used as a 3.0 device, but for such a small USB and form factor I’m not surprised. When I need to get stuff done, 3.0 does the job but man, the heat is  insane.

Even so, USB 2.0 speeds and heat development are actually very decent. Read is around 70 MB/s while Write is around 50 MB/s. Nothing blazing but plenty fast for any self-respecting Linux distro out there. Heat is no problem when connected to a 2.0 port- for a few months I was running Steam games daily from it.

So overall, for the $11 I spent for this little guy I’m satisfied. I think Sandisk ought to inform customers, however, as there are many people in this thread who haven’t had nearly as rosy an experience as I.