Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

Bought three of these Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB3.0 drives recently and was horrified to see how hot they became when plugged into a USB3.0 socket - the metal parts of the stick were VERY hot after a few minutes operation. When I pulled one of these sticks out - my finger tip felt like it had touched the metal surface of a boiling kettle !!

Amazon reviews mentioning the temperature issue have met with a response from Sandisk representatives suggesting users wait at least 30 seconds before attempting to remove the stick - that is an admission of guilt in my book !!

I think these sticks really do have the potential to damage any socket they are plugged into, and there have been reports of plastics blistering on USB Hubs - I can quite believe it !

Furthermore, when I copied data from a nearly full Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB2.0 64GB stick to this new 64GB USB3.0 stick - there was not enough space !!! I then realised the newer 64GB USB3.0 sticks give you nearly 2GB LESS than the older 64GB USB2.0 sticks !!!

Using exFAT …

The 64GB Cruzer Fit USB2.0 reports Capacity as 64,012,943,360 bytes
The 64GB Cruzer Fit USB3.0 reports Capacity as 62,171,119,616 bytes

With FAT32 the capacity points are slightly different BUT the discrepancy remains !!

How can Sandisk get away with this - even allowing for the industry norm of dividing by 1000 (and not the correct 1024) to convert from bytes, it’s not even 64000 !!!

So, not only is the USB3.0 version capable of damaging the host machine by the temperatures it can reach BUT you also get shortchanged !