Highlighted

Re: U3 Windows 7 update now available!

The link you gave me leads to the KB " Installing U3 Launchpad on a PC " that I already knew, as well as the KB " U3 Launchpad update for Windows 7 " which says to install v 1.6.3.9.

But it's not the link for v 1.6.3.9 !?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

How do you know it's not?  Have you installed it to your U3 drive?

Ed
Important files = Backed up files
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@i-Lambert wrote:

The link you gave me leads to the KB " Installing U3 Launchpad on a PC " that I already knew, as well as the KB " U3 Launchpad update for Windows 7 " which says to install v 1.6.3.9.

But it's not the link for v 1.6.3.9 !?

I could be wrong, but I believe that's the link to download the Launchpad Installer which will in turn install the update. Whether or not it's the version you want or not, you'll have to try it and see, if you haven't already.

Highlighted

In fact LPInstaller.exe downloads and installs the version 1.6.1.2 of the launchpad, which seems to work under Windows 7.

The version 1.0.2.36 mentioned in the tab Version of LPInstaller.exe is thus the version of the installer.

Highlighted

Hi there - I can always run my LaunchPad in my Windows 7 64-bit Professional, probably because I have the Compatibility Mode unchecked by default. However, I can never use the "Eject" feature of LaunchPad nor I can use the Windows "Safely Remove" feature to first disable the drive before physically unplugging it. Below is the error message I got when I tried to "Eject" it although there is absolutely no open docs or programs. I even tried to reboot my laptop, plug in the (empty) drive, run LaunchPad, let it sit over night in case there is anti-virus, indexing, or anything else that might be accessing the drive, and I still cannot eject or remove the drive without getting either U3 or Windows error message. Thoughts? U3 eject error message: "An error has occurred while attempting to eject the U3 smart drive. Please check for any open documents or programs running on the device and try again later." Windows 7 Safely Remove error message: "Windows can't stop your 'SanDisk Cruzer US Device' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later."
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Try running the LaunchPad in Compatibility Mode for Vista SP2.

Things that maybe using the drive include your AV, FW, or any other app that looks for malware, or apps looking for specific file types like pictures, movies, music, etc.

Ed
Highlighted

Tried the Vista SP2 compatibility mode, as well as other compatibility modes. None works. If I picked the XP modes, the launchpad won't even run. Understand there are AV, FW or other apps that could potentially be accessing the drive but how long will they be accessing a virtually empty drive?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Does this utility help you?  ProEject  http://softwarespot.wordpress.com/software/proeject/

A failsafe option is to reboot and when the machine is down remove the USB drive.

Ed
Highlighted

I have release 1.6.1.2 of U3 operating system with open office, fire fox, dmailer, skype; when I tried my key with my new netbook with windows 7 installed, I coudn't run open office; then I tried again to run in compatibility mode of windows before 7 U3 and aafter open office and every thing worked well without updating U3 on the key. Very good result! Try you too. Best regards.

Highlighted

Uh, not quite.  Might be time to pull down this whole thread.

I had a very odd experience with this software (pre-update; version 1,6,1,2).  In or out of Compatibility Mode, the software started-up really fast, then disappeared from sight on my i-7 Win7 64 system.  The U-3 icon in my task bar then VANISHED as soon as I flew my mouse over it.  Didn't even have to click.

•  I prepared for this update by removing encryption from the drive; also tried downloading and installng in an XP SP 2 environment;

• I believe Sandisk has "surrendered" on this matter, apparently no longer offers the update, and apparently no longer holds out hope that U3 software may be executed within the Win 7 64-bit operating system.

A shame, because this was simple, intuitive, and elegant stoftware -- even if the encryption was "whole-drive" rather than file-by file.  Now the only way I can keep U-3 running and retain encryption is in a "no longer supported" O.S..

Blech.

Smiley Frustrated