U3 LP Installer Fails to Reinstall on 8GB Micro Cruzer

I temporarily removed the U3 Launchpad program from my 8GB micro cruzer and attempted to reinstall after downloading the U3 Launchpad Installer program, but I get an error that “Download of the U3 Launchpad failed. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet and then rerun the installer.”

Can this program still be reinstalled on a 8GB Micro Cruzer?

I’ve attempted to reinstall the Launchpad program under both Win 7 and Win XP. My Device Version is 8.01.

Although SanDisk has discontinured the U3 applications, the U3 Launchpad is useful.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards

I temporarily removed the U3 Launchpad program from my 8GB micro cruzer

“temporarily”??!!  How does one “temporarily” remove U3?  I know how one permanently removes it and how it reconfigures the flash drive and reformats it but I’ve never heard of temporarily removing it.  And WHY did you choose to do this?

after downloading the U3 Launchpad Installer program,”

Where did you download it from, what URL?  How big is the file?  It should be 1016 KB. What is it’s name?  It should be LPInstaller.exe.

I get an error that "Download of the U3 Launchpad failed. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet

And if you have the correct LPInstaller do you indeed have and Internet connection when running it?  If so then most likely it is trying to download the Cruzer-LP.ISO file and either the link is wrong or the file is gone.  And it could very well be both.

If I recall from the U3 hacking days I think it was possible to have an ISO file in the same folder as the LPinstaller in which case it didn’t look to the Internet to download it.

Can this program still be reinstalled on a 8GB Micro Cruzer?”

Probably, if you have all the files.  ie  Installer and ISO.

Although SanDisk has discontinured the U3 applications, the U3 Launchpad is useful.”

I agree.  I love my U3 sticks.

“temporarily”??!!  How does one “temporarily” remove U3?  I know how one permanently removes it and how it reconfigures the flash drive and reformats it but I’ve never heard of temporarily removing it.  And WHY did you choose to do this?

I removed the U3 program with the removal tool. I did it, because I was going to use the USB Flash Drive as a bootable Win XP installer and I didn’t want the U3 program to conflict in any way.

after downloading the U3 Launchpad Installer program,”

Where did you download it from, what URL?  How big is the file?  It should be 1016 KB. What is it’s name?  It should be LPInstaller.exe.

I downloaded the U3 Launchpad Installer from the following two Sandisk website pages:

http://u3.sandisk.com/

http://u3.sandisk.com/download/lp_installer.asp

The downloaded Launchpad Installer is, LPInstaller.exe, Size on disk: 0.99MB (1,040,384 bytes), as displayed by Win XP file properties. That’s 1016KB when converted from the “Size on disk” reported bytes.

And if you have the correct LPInstaller do you indeed have and Internet connection when running it?  If so then most likely it is trying to download the Cruzer-LP.ISO file and either the link is wrong or the file is gone.  And it could very well be both.

If I recall from the U3 hacking days I think it was possible to have an ISO file in the same folder as the LPinstaller in which case it didn’t look to the Internet to download it.

I think I have the correct LP installer, and yes, I do indeed have an Internet connection when running the LP installer.

It may be that the iso file is gone.

I’ve removed the U3 program and reinstalled in the past and I don’t remember having to be connected to the Internet. It may have done it without me noticing an iso download, becasue I didn’t have any issues with the reinstall.

Can this program still be reinstalled on a 8GB Micro Cruzer?”

Probably, if you have all the files.  ie  Installer and ISO

Do you know a good link to download the LP Installer with iso?

Regards

I removed the U3 program with the removal tool. I did it, because I was going to use the USB Flash Drive as a bootable Win XP installer and I didn’t want the U3 program to conflict in any way.”

FWIW  Both my U3 Cruzers are bootable and U3 is still on them.  BartPE on one and Grub4DOS on the other.

I think I have the correct LP installer, and yes, I do indeed have an Internet connection when running the LP installer.”

I think you do also at this point.

Do you know a good link to download the LP Installer with iso?

No, but I may be able to provide you with one to an iso.  But before that write to SanDisk Support, and see what they think about the missing iso file.  Maybe they will find an error on their server or provide you with a link that will work.

Remember, SanDisk dropped support for U3 about 4 yrs ago.  But if they are going to support the LPInstaller download they have to support it running.

Let me know how you make out with them.

FWIW  Both my U3 Cruzers are bootable and U3 is still on them.  BartPE on one and Grub4DOS on the other.

My application may have worked with the U3 program intact, but when I do something for the first time, I like to minimize the varibles to simplify the effort.

I sent Sandisk Support an email yesterday notifying them of my issue and requesting they fix their download of the LP Installer. I’ll post their response as soon as I get it.

Regards

Is it possible to copy the U3 program image from a working Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer with a program like ImgBurn and save the copy as an iso file to be installed again on a Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer without the U3 program installed?

Regards

Here is a candid snapshot of SanDisk Support. I decided to start a Support Chat, because I hadn’t heard anything from my email contact with SanDisk Support.

If you read the entire chat log, it should cause some concern. The SanDisk support agents are not responsive to questions and they try to change the subject. I was even told that I can’t use the U3 software program anymore, because it’s at End of Life (EOL).

I’m not too impressed with SanDisk support for legacy products. In fact, they are the worst that I’ve seen or experienced.

I should hear something from the corporate team in a day or so.

Regards

Max K.: Hello, thank you for contacting SanDisk. My name is Max K… Please give me a moment while I look into your question.
TG: Hi, I’m trying to reinstall the U3 program on my SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer micro. I downloaded the LP Installer from your website, but I get an error that I need to be connected to the Internet when I try to use the LP Installer to reinstall the U3 program. I tried to accomplish this task on two different computers; one Win XP Pro and the other Win 7 Pro x64. I suspect there is something wrong with the server that the LP Installer downloads from when you start the LP Installer. Do you have a solution? Regards
Max K.: In order to help you, please provide the 2 Alphanumeric product codes located on the back of the drive and the color of the drive to determine which SanDisk product you have?
TG: I have a black drive with the code: BIO811NKIB Made in China SDCZ6-8192RB
Max K.: Alright.
Max K.: U3 technology has reached end of life. SanDisk began phasing out support for U3 Technology in late 2009.
Max K.: Since the U3 applications are no longer available for download, SanDisk recommends uninstalling U3 Launchpad and using the Flash Drive as a normal memory storage device.
TG: Yes, I know that about the U3 technology, but I would like to reinstall the program on my SanDisk USB drive. The Launchpad is useful when the devices are plugged into my system.
TG: I’ve never used the Launchpad to install applications. I like it because of it other features.
TG: If you have the Launchpad Installer available for download to reinstall the program on devices that were originally sold with the program, the download should work properly.
TG: What do I have to do to get the Launchpad Installer to work properly?
Max K.: Okay. Let me see if I can find the link for you. Even if you reinstall it, technical support would not be possible as it is discontinued.
Max K.: In order to download, please refer to the following link:  http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/240
TG: Tell me something I don’t know. A lot of technology companies that sell products discontinue active support after a few years, but they keep the software available for download many years after they discontinue active support. We don’t dispose of our technology products just because the active support phase has ended.
Max K.: I do understand it. Please follow the link provided above to install U3 again.
TG: If SanDisk intends to disable downloads for the LP Installer, it would be nice if they posted a notice with adequate time for everyone to take advantage of the period before the availability is terminated.
TG: Is this the same LP Installer that I downloaded from U3.SanDisk.com?
TG: If so, I’ll likely get the same error.
Max K.: Tim, download is still available. But SanDisk recommends uninstalling it. SanDisk has got SanDisk Secure Access (password protect software) for users.
Max K.: Yes this is the only download for U3 available. If you are using Windows 7, you can find further steps on that link as well.
TG: Perhaps you don’t understand. I know the download is still available, but it’s not working. After I download the LP Installer and start the install program, I get an error that indicates the LP Installer can’t get Internet access to download a file from SanDisk.
TG: I’ve tried to install the U3 program on two different computers; Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro x64.
Max K.: Alright. You can follow Win 7 link for further steps to update and fix the U3 Launchpad.
Max K.: Are you still with me, Tim?
TG: OK, I just got error on my Win 7 system. I checked the link you indicated and I don’t have password protection enabled, device version is good, because I reinstalled the U3 program before and these drives came with the U3 program. I checked the device version on my other working USB U3 enable drive and it’s good as well. I think there is a problem with the server.
Max K.: Alright, have you tried the same thing with the Win XP?
TG: I’m doing it now, but I don’t expect anything different, because I tried this several times yesterday.
TG: I’ve downloaded the LP installer from u3.sandisk.com on the Win XP machine and I plugged in the Cruzer and the system recognized the USB device as a drive. The U3 program is not installed on that Cruzer.
TG: I get the error box for the U3 Launchpad Installer: Download of the U3 Launchpad failed. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet and then rerun this installer.
TG: Well, I know I’m connected to the Internet, because I just downloaded the LP Installer to the Win XP desktop.
TG: Do you have a solution?
Max K.: Tim, I apologize for the inconvenience. There is nothing we can do about the installation of U3 installer. It has been discontinued and there is no support available.
TG: The download should work. I think there is a problem with your sever. I think it’s very reasonable for you to resolve your sever issue.
TG: If the download is available, which it is and the LP installer program contacts the SanDisk server during the install and runs into a problem, I think SanDisk should fix that issue with their server.
Max K.: Well, let me dig into my resource database once again to find something useful.
TG: If SanDisk doesn’t want to help, why would anybody buy SanDisk products?
Max K.: Let me see what I can do in this case.
TG: We are not talking about support for the SanDisk USB Cruzer per se, we are talking about a problem with the SanDisk server which appears to be necessary to run the LP Installer for a successful reinstall of the U3 program.
TG: If SanDisk doesn’t want to “support” products after a few years, they should just keep the downloads available and fix the downloads so that they don’t need to access a server to function properly.
TG: I can still download drivers for hardware that was developed for Windows 98. That type of support, although not active support, is expected.
TG: There’s a big difference between “support” for a product and keeping software available for download long after a product has been discontinued.
TG: Why does the LP Installer need to contact the SanDisk server in the first place?
Max K.: Okay. U3 is a 3rd party application that was provided on our Flash Drives. SanDisk does not have any servers that affect the functionality of the application. The servers were provided by the developing organization and have been taken offline by them only. And they have been taken offline since 2009.
Ashley K. has joined the chat.
Ashley K.: My name is Ashley and I am one of the Supervisor with SanDisk. Let me assist you further this case.
TG: I was able to download the LP Installer in December 2011 and reinstall the U3 program.
Max K. has left the chat.

TG: Why doesn’t the LP Installer work when you download it from the SanDisk website/

TG: Well Ashley K, do you have a solution?

Ashley K.: Please allow me some time while I review the chat history.

Ashley K.: Thank you for your patience.

Ashley K.: Please tell me, for what purpose do you need U3 when it is discontinued.

TG: I think you have a corrupted LP Installer download or a server problem. I find the U3 program useful for several different reasons. I didn’t start this chat to discuss what I do with my SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer micro. I started this chat to inquire about a problem with you download of the LP installer on the SanDisk website.

Ashley K.: We recommend SanDisk Secure Access software for the password protection feature now.

TG: I’m not seeking support for the device. I just want to download the software that supports the device and that software is available for download on the SanDisk website. I’ve never heard of a technology company that cuts off download for discontinued products. If the LP Installer is available for download, which it is, then it should work as it has in the past. If SanDisk has disabled the server that is obviously required to use the LP Installer, then it should be posted on the website. There should have been a notice that the server required to use the LP Installer would be cut off at a certain date. I don’t recall seeing anything to indicate SanDisk had intentions of disabling the LP Installer.

TG: Is there a server that’s not working at the moment or is there a server that has been disabled?

Ashley K.: The U3 software should get installed on this drive however since it is not working then there are no troubleshooting steps available.

Ashley K.: Please be informed most U3 applications are now available online as regular portable applications that does not require U3 platform to run.

TG: Why does the LP Installer need to access the Internet? What is the LP Installer contacting?

TG: You’re not being very responsive Ashley and you are making this chat into a painful waste of time. I came here for a solution to your server issue.

Ashley K.: I apologize Tim but there is no solution to this, the server has been disabled.

TG: Why is the LP Installer available for download if the server required to use the LP Installer has been disabled without notice?

TG: Why doesn’t SanDisk make a LP Installer that doesn’t need a server to function properly?

Ashley K.: I will take it as a feedback and share it further informing to delete the link for installing U3.

Ashley K.: However this has been posted already that All support for U3 is discontinued.

TG: I think SanDisk should to the right thing and provide a solution to the LP Installer that would do as its expected to do.

TG: Discontinuing support for a product and removing access to software downloads for discontinued products are two different things.

TG: The software should be available.

TG: I think SanDisk should find a solution to this issue. If other people read this chat, do you think they’d be inclined to buy SanDisk products from a corporation that behaves like this?

TG: I want to elevate this issue. This type of support is expected for discontinued products. Who would buy products if they knew those products could be disabled at some point on a few years away, by disabling software downloads?

Ashley K.: I understand that Tim but notice to discontinue U3 software was published on our web site.

Ashley K.: Also none of the feature of U3 is in use apart from the password protection.

TG: Notice to discontinue applications was posted. Notice to discontinue the download of the LP Installer was not posted and the LP Installer is still available for download.

Ashley K.: I agree it is still available and we will take it offline soon.

TG: It should work. Why does SanDisk waste people’s time by posting a download that doesn’t work.

TG: I think I’m entitled to a working LP Installer.

TG: Since no notice was given that the LP Installer available for download would be disabled by SanDisk.

TG: Download support for legacy products is expected.

TG: I’m looking for a solution, not some corporate jibberish about support.

Ashley K.: There are no steps that we have available to make U3 work on your drive.

TG: That’s a bunch of corporate jibberish. The problem is not that the drive doesn’t work, the problem is that SanDish has disabled the server that’s required for the LP Installer download, which is still available, to function.

Ashley K.: You can use this drive without U3 is all I can say.

Ashley K.: Regarding LP installer still available on our site, as I said I will forward this feedback to take it offline.

TG: I can’t use the drive as I purchased it. I have applications that need the U3 program.

Ashley K.: The U3 applications are no longer available to download

TG: The LP Installer should be available. It is not the type of U3 application that has been discontinued since 2009. The LP Installer was last working for me in December 2011. That’s an indication that the LP Installer is different than U3 applications. There has been no notice that SanDisk would disable the LP Installer.

Ashley K.: I understand that however since you have tried to install it on two different computers and is not working, there is nothing that we can do here.

TG: Do you think I’m stupid Ashley? It’s not working not because it’s broken, it’s not working because SanDisk has deceived the consumers by disabling the server required to use the LP Installer, but they keep the LP Installer available for download with the full knowledge that it won’t work. Why is that?

Ashley K.: It may or may not work on this model of the drive. And it is completely not compatible on all the drives that we manufacture presently.

TG: When was the server required for the LP Installer to work disabled?

Ashley K.: he U3.com website is not a SanDisk web site and is not supported by SanDisk.

TG: We are not talking about all the drives SanDisk manufactures presently, we are taking about a download for a legacy product that has worked in the past and should work now. It the LP Installer was going to be disabled, notice should have been posted. There was no notice posted about disabling the LP Installer. Don’t try to play some cheap salesman trick by claiming that notice was posted about U3 applications in 2009. We know that the LP Installer was working as late as December 2011. When was the server required for the LP Installer to work disabled? I think that is a fair question and I have asked it at least twice.

TG: The website for the download of the LP Installer is U3.SanDisk.com.

Ashley K.: I understand and you have a very valid point.

TG: That website is a SanDisk website with links to Support, Knowledge, Forums, Driver Download Wizard, Where to Buy, Contact Us, and Warranty and User Guides.

TG: I have made a very valid point and SanDisk should do the right thing by making a working LP Installer available.

TG: Where is the solution?

Ashley K.: U3.com was a website that was ment to provide portable applications to the Flash Drives. This name of the website was U3.com instead for u3.sandisk.com.

Ashley K.: As U3.com’s servers have been taken offline, the portable applications can no longer be downloaded.

Ashley K.: And there is no solution to it at this point of time and it is neither expected.

TG: The website for the download of the LP Installer is a SanDisk website. The web address is not U3.com. The web address is U3.SanDisk.com and it represents itself as a SanDisk website.

Ashley K.: I am sorry, i believe that there is some disconnect. It was always U3.com.\

TG: I think this issue should be elevated to the highest levels of SanDisk management. This is unacceptable.

TG: Go to  http://us.sandisk.com and you will see a SanDisk website.

TG: Make that  http://u3.sandisk.com

TG: There you will see the download for the LP Installer that is a cruel joke, because SanDisk has disabled the required server for the LP Installer to work.

Ashley K.: The website which you are referring to is just the support page not the U3.com website from where the portable applications can be downloaded.

TG: We are not talking about portable applications. We are taking about the LP Installer. This is the webpage for the download of the LP Installer.

TG: What is the name of your supervisor?

TG: You are a jive taking fool Ashley. If you’re going to waste time, you should indicate such at the beginning of the chat.

Ashley K.: I am providing you the information that is available.

Ashley K.: I can transfer this chat to my supervisor.

Ashley K.: I can transfer this chat to my supervisor however I am afraid that he may provide the same information to you.

TG: Please do, because chatting with you is a disaster. You need to learn how to communicate.

TG: This topic is about the LP Installer which is available for download on a SanDisk website. This topic is not about U3 applications that have been discontinued since about 2009.

Brad G. has joined the chat.

Brad G.: Hi Tim.

TG: You failed to answer my questions Ashley.

TG: Hi Brad G

TG: Please read the chat and let me know the solution.

Brad G.: Sure. Give me a moment.

Brad G.: So you are not able to intall U3 on your computer. Right?

Brad G.: *install

TG: I’m not able to use the LP Installer that is downloaded from an active SanDisk website and run the installer because the LP Installer apparently needs access to a sever to function. I’ve asked the question several times about when was the server disabled. I know the server was working as late as December 2011. There was a notice about U3 application being discontinued back in 2009, but this topic is about the LP Installer. This topic is not about the U3 applications.

Brad G.: I understand that.

TG: I can download the LP Installer, but I get an error when the LP Installer tries to contact a server to fulfill its task of installing the U3 program on a SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer micro. From what I understand, the server that supports the LP Installer has be disabled. That’s OK with me, but I still need a way to reinstall the U3 program on my USB Drive.

Brad G.: I am afraid to inform you but there is no way to install the U3 software on the flash drive. SanDisk would not recommend you doing that as all the services that is related to U3 are closed.

TG: The U3 software has other uses that are not related to the discontinued U3 applications. The U3 software can be installed if the server that supports the LP Installer wasn’t disabled without notice. SanDisk should provide an alternate method to reinstall the U3 software, because they didn’t provide any notice that they intended to disable the feature. Download of legacy software is nothing new and SanDisk should make this software available just like other companies make drivers available for legacy operating systems.

TG: The LP Installer is still available for download on a SanDisk website and there is no information to indicate it won’t work.

Brad G.: I completely understand the situation but unfortunately the software is EOL now and there is no way of bringing it back. I surely thke this as a feedback and will forward the same to the support team.

Brad G.: As discussed I will forward the request to remove the same from the website.

TG: This issue should be elevated, because I find your response unsatisfactory. There are a lot of devices or programs that are EOL, but the software is still available. The LP Installer is still available and it should function. There was no notice that it would be disabled.

TG: This issue here is SanDisk has not made the software unavailable, but that SanDisk has disabled the software.

TG: As a consumer of SanDisk products, I think the software that came on those products should be available for download and not be disabled by SanDisk.

Brad G.: The EOL notification is there on SanDisk website. If you will go to the download page you will find the notification. The notification is there since the day U3 has been discontinued.

TG: The fact is that SanDisk support reps like to play games. First they point you to the download, then they try to indicate that the device might be broken, then they try to indicate that the download website is not a SanDisk website, then they try to claim a different product, U3 applications were discontinued since 2009, then they try to think up something to change the subject of this chat. The software and device are not broken. The problem is that SanDisk has disabled the software that they still make available for download.

TG: There is no notification of disabling the LP Installer. People don’t dispose of their products at EOL. They function reliably for years after EOL.

TG: When was the server that supports the LP Installer disabled and when was the notice given?

Brad G.: As I mentioned earlier that I will forward the request to remove the link from the website. If the software if EOL than how can you expect us to product support for the same. I agree to this fact that the software link should not be there and I will raise the request to remove it.

Brad G.: We do not have the exact date but at this point of time the only thing I can tell you is that we cannot bring this service back.

TG: Just because Sandisk discontinues a product, that doesn’t mean they should disable the software that the product relies upon.

TG: Then there should be an alternate method to reinstall the U3 software.

TG: If you disable the server that’s required for the LP Installer to function without notice.

Brad G.: If the software itself is EOL than how can there be an alternate method to reinstall or start the LP services.

Brad G.: I would like to inform you that we have disabled the services back in 2009.

TG: I don’t think SanDisk intended to disable the LP Installer program. It’s available for download on the same page with a link to the discontinuance of the U3 applications.

TG: The LP installer was working as late as December 2011.

Brad G.: As the service is disabled now in this case I would suggest you to uninstall the U3 software and use the flash drive as a normal drive.

TG: I have Intel and Dell products that are well past their support period and well past their EOL, but the software and drivers are still available for download and they are not disabled.

TG: Why would I do that when I still have applications that can run on the U3 software?

Brad G.: If you want than you can continue using U3.

TG: I want to continue using the U3 software, but I need to reinstall the U3 software on my SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer micro.

TG: I wouldn’t have removed the U3 software if I had know that SanDisk was going to disable the LP Installer.

Brad G.: I am afraid but in this case we cannot help you as the software is EOL.

TG: What is the name and contact information for the person that is in charge of all SanDisk support?

Ashley K. has left the chat.

Brad G.: If you want than I can escalate the case to the headquarter team. That’s the best i can do but I would like to inform you that you cannot continue with using U3 software as its EOL.

TG: Please answer my question.

Brad G.: I cannot share this information with you.

TG: Why not? This case needs to be escalated to someone that won’t give the runaround.

Brad G.: Let me escalate the case to the corporate team and you will hear from them. You will get the email from the corporate team. If you want than I can arrange a call back as well and for that I would need to have your contact number.

TG: My email address is xxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx and my telephone contact is xxx.xxx.xxxx. My name is xxx xxxxxx. Do you need my address?

Brad G.: No that’s not necessary.

Brad G.: Would there be anything else that I may assist you with apart from escalating the case?

TG: When can I expect to hear from the corporate team rep?

Brad G.: I am escalating the case right now and most probably by tomorrow you will hear from them.

TG: OK, thank you.

TG: I’m done with this unproductive chat unless you’ve got some useful information.

Brad G.: I can surely help you further if you have any current product or the software but not the EOL software.

Brad G.: Thank you for contacting SanDisk, and you have a great day, Tim.

TG: Thank you. You and your fellow agents have giving me a good reason not to buy any SanDisk products. Bye

The SanDisk Knowledge Base webpage below, indicates SanDisk will still provide download links for the U3 Launchpad. What they indicate on their website is different than what they practice.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5358/~/u3-launchpad-end-of-life-notice

U3 Launchpad End Of Life Notice

Why can’t I download the U3 applications? Is U3 Launchpad still available?

U3 technology has reached end of life. SanDisk began phasing out support for U3 Technology in late 2009.
U3 was originally developed to enable downloading portable applications to run from flash drives without installing on a computer. Currently, all U3 application download servers supporting the U3 Central Downloads and Cruzer Download Wizard features of U3 Launchpad have been taken offline. You may receive an ‘internet not detected’ error if you try to use these features. Since the U3 applications are no longer available for download, SanDisk recommends uninstalling U3 Launchpad unless you are planning to use the password security feature.

SanDisk will still provide download links for U3 Launchpad and Mac utilities on our Knowledgebase. Only U3 Smart flash drives will support installation of the U3 Launchpad. These flash drives are identified by the U3 Smart logo on the packaging and the drive.

Installing U3 Launchpad on a PC

U3 Utility for Mac

If you do NOT wish to use U3 portable applications or the U3 password feature, you can simply uninstall it from the flash drive. Below are links to article with instructions on removing U3 Launchpad.

Is it possible to copy the U3 program image from a working Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer with a program like ImgBurn and save the copy as an iso file

I believe / hope that to be true.

" to be installed again on a Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer without the U3 program installed?"

Unlikely since the CD drive portion of the U3 system won’t be there.

If you read the entire chat log, it should cause some concern. The SanDisk support agents are not responsive to questions and they try to change the subject.”

Which is why I rarely use chat with any company.  A bunch of screeen readers with few technical skills.

I should hear something from the corporate team in a day or so.”

Hopefully that will be more productive.

The SanDisk Knowledge Base webpage below, indicates SanDisk will still provide download links for the U3 Launchpad. What they indicate on their website is different than what they practice.”

And this is what you have to press them on.

Is it possible to copy the U3 program image from a working Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer with a program like ImgBurn and save the copy as an iso file

I believe / hope that to be true.

" to be installed again on a Sandisk USB 8GB Cruzer without the U3 program installed?"

Unlikely since the CD drive portion of the U3 system won’t be there.

If the U3 software program has been removed, why wouldn’t a utility such as ImgBurn just see the device as a virgin CD and transfer the iso image of a U3 program to the media?

If you read the entire chat log, it should cause some concern. The SanDisk support agents are not responsive to questions and they try to change the subject.”

Which is why I rarely use chat with any company.  A bunch of screeen readers with few technical skills.

It must depend on the company. I like chat, because there is a record of the conversation. I’ve chatted with Intel and Seagate with good results. SanDisk on the otherhand should be ashamed of the posted chat log. Their agents were unknowledgable, nonresponsive and denied what was posted on their own website. If they were competent, they should have indicated that there was no solution at their level and immediately escalated the issue to corporate or their highest level of support. I thought they were taking (chatting) out their asses. One tried to claim that the LP Installer download webpage wasn’t a SanDisk webpage and another tried to claim that I can’t use the U3 program anymore.

I should hear something from the corporate team in a day or so.”

Hopefully that will be more productive.

The SanDisk Knowledge Base webpage below, indicates SanDisk will still provide download links for the U3 Launchpad. What they indicate on their website is different than what they practice.”

And this is what you have to press them on.

I’ll hopeully soon find out what kind of company SanDisk is. I hope that I’m not disappointed. Contrary to what their support reps were claiming, there was no notice of disabling the LP Installer. The fact that their own website indicates it will be availble after the U3 application phase out is somehting I wish I had posted on the chat with the asstalkers.

I’m in the market for a 64GB or 128GB flash drive, but I don’t think I’ll buy a SanDisk if they don’t stand by what they post on their website.

Regards

If the U3 software program has been removed, why wouldn’t a utility such as ImgBurn just see the device as a virgin CD and transfer the iso image of a U3 program to the media?”

No.  ImgBurn will see the device for what it is, a single partition removable flash drive.

I’ll hopeully soon find out what kind of company SanDisk is.

I suspect you will find out that it is like many large world wide organizations where communications between multiple distant entities is not as concise as smaller local self contained companies.  But they do stand by their products and warrantee them for a long long long time.

I don’t think that it’s in the best interest of U3 users that SanDisk is trying to slip out the back door unnoticed with their insidious disabling of the LP Installer. The SanDisk website makes it very clear that the U3 application program has been discontinued, but the LP Installer download is intended to stay. I think that if a lot of consumers were to complain about the now disabled LP Installer, SanDisk might be inclined to do the right thing and abide by what their website indicates.

If you think this was a bad move by SanDisk, you should let them know about it.

I did install the U3 System software on my SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer Micro without the LP Installer.

After numerous attempts to install the U3 software with the disabled LP Installer, I noticed that my 8GB Cruzer was showing up in my Win 7 and Win XP systems as a 16MB drive. I thought that is was toast and didn’t have anything to lose at that point.

I attempted a DISKPART Clean all command on the Win 7 system, but it failed to complete due to an error. I moved to the Win XP and attempted a DISKPART Clean command, but it also failed to complete. I then noticed that the drive was then showing as a 8GB drive in Win XP My Computer and the Cruzer CD drive was showing up as well. I didn’t think that the Cruzer CD drive would show with the U3 software removed.

I have ISO Recorder v3.1 installed and it displays a “Create Image from CD/DVD” command when you right click on a CD/DVD drive icon. So, I plugged in my SanDisk USB 8GB Cruzer Micro with the U3 Launchpad still intact and created an iso file from the Cruzer’s CD drive and saved it to my desktop.

I then found the U3-Tool utility online and used it to view the existing info on my Cruzer with the U3 system and the Cruzer without the U3 system. I resized the CD partition of the Cruzer without the U3 system to match the size of the CD partition of the Cruzer with the U3 system. When I checked the partition info for both my Cruzers, they were identical. I then installed the U3 System.iso onto the CD partition of the Cruzer without the U3 System. It took a while and there were moments when I thought the program had frozen, because it didn’t appear to be doing anything, but it did and the install was successful.

I ran the format command on both Cruzers for FAT32 and default settings. I think the allocation size is 4096. Checking the version information for both Cruzers indicates:

U3 Launchpad Version: 1,6,1,2

Device Version: 8.01

ADAPI Version: 4.7.0.9 Unicode

The Device Serial Numbers don’t match, which is good.

I need to do some more research to find a way to check and compare what’s recorded in the hidden sectors or sections of the Cruzers drive media. I’m getting a slight difference in size when viewing the two Cruzer’s properties. Also, the Cruzer’s behave and display differently, although slightly, on a Win XP system versus a Win 7 system.

I think the LP Installer would install a later version of the U3 Launchpad if it was not disabled by SanDisk.

So, you can install the U3 Launchpad without the LP Installer if you have a good iso file.

Regards

FYI

I noticed SanDisk has changed their webpage with the LP Installer download. If you notice they removed the LP Installer download.

I haven’t heard from the SanDisk Corporate Team and I likely won’t. I think this webpage change is their answer to my elevated support request.

So much for SanDisk support for legacy products.

Regards

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5358/~/u3-launchpad-end-of-life-notice

U3 Launchpad End Of Life Notice

Why can’t I download the U3 applications? Is U3 Launchpad still available?

U3 technology has reached end of life. SanDisk began phasing out support for U3 Technology in late 2009.
U3 was originally developed to enable downloading portable applications to run from flash drives without installing on a computer. Currently, all U3 application download servers supporting the U3 Central Downloads and Cruzer Download Wizard features of U3 Launchpad have been taken offline. You may receive an ‘internet not detected’ error if you try to use these features. Since the U3 applications are no longer available for download, SanDisk recommends uninstalling the U3 Launchpad.

Below are links to article with instructions on removing U3 Launchpad.

I’d like to know where I could get a copy of the latest U3 Launchpad version that is compatible with Win 7. Someone my have a copy of the U3 Launchpad v1.6.3.9 in iso file format.

If anyone knows a source, please post.

Regards

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3682/~/u3-launchpad-update-for-windows-7

The latest U3 Launchpad as of December 2009 is version 1.6.3.9.  This version is compatible with Windows 7. There has been no update for Windows 8.

Below is the SanDisk response to my support request concerning the disabled LP Installer. It’s very telling that they would refer me to the webpage that was edited after I contacted them about the issue. When I contacted SanDisk Tech Support, the webpage indicated that the LP Installer would still be available for download. The facts remain that SanDisk did not abide by what they indicated on their website, they are still trying to play a shell game with the truth, they make a feeble attempt at diverting the focus of my support request to their discontinuance of U3 applications, they disabled the LP Installer without notice, and they behave as if consumers are stupid. I’ve contacted tech support from companies like Intel, Dell, Seagate, Microsoft, Corsair, Adaptec, Antec, Bose, ESET, LG Electronics, Motorola, Nvidia, Pioneer Electronics, TSST, MuliTech, HP, and several others, but I never experienced anything as sleazy as my contact with SanDisk Tech Support. SanDisk lies and avoids answering the question. My experience with SanDisk leaves me with the view that I shouldn’t consider buying their products. There are other companies that offer USB storage products with far better support for discontinued or legacy items.

Did SanDisk tech support achieve their goal?

Regards

SanDisk 

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Thanks for using the SanDisk Technical Support chat service. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

As we informed, we escalated the case to SanDisk Head Quarters and as confirmed by them U3 Servers have been taken down permanently and are no longer available. Same information is also available on the following link:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5358

As mentioned on the link above, you may get all these Internet related errors since U3 applications are no longer available for download.

Please refer to your My SanDisk at http://kb.sandisk.com anytime to see all of your incident history and product registration information. You can log in using your email address as your login and the password that you created.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,

Neo D.

SanDisk Technical Support

:smiley:  OK, more U3 en [//filecloud.io/_ohfsy0x].

:smileyvery-happy:  Ok, more U3, http://u3-powered.blogspot.com and  http://filecloud.io/_ohfsy0x