Sandisk cruzer 16GB became read-only

hi,

I have a 16GB cruzer, (SDCZ36-016G) that’s about 4 months old, it just became read-only.

It has only one partition, with contains about 3GB of my files i put on there before it was read-only. There’s no way of putting it back in read-write with windows or with a mac, and if i try formatting it, it says the device is readonly too.

I can’t install the software that’s on there, since this software also seems to need write access to the drive.

What can i do? Is the drive broken?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

I just brought a 2GB cruzer for the sole purpose of transfering photos for a digital photo frame. The person who sold it to me also sold me the digital photo frame, is there any way to make this work?? My information also comes up as read only and does not work in the digial photo frame!

Thanks

Time to take the things back to the person who sold them to you and ask them to show you how they work.

1 Like

I have had my Sandisk 16GB for some time myself and for some reason starting yesterday it also now will let me open the files, but I can not save anything to it as it says it is now read only.  I got to the file properties and they for the files on the drive and they show up as archived.  I change that and make sure the read only box is not checked and hit apply.  I exit out and come back and the properties are back to the same.  I can not save new files on it either.  I have Windows 7 Professional on this machine, I have not tried it on another PC, but will here shortly.  I also would love to know what I can do to resolve the issues.

No your device comes from the factory in the Fat32 format. You can just insert it into the usb port of your computer and start copying files. I have determined with a lot of research into the same problem for me and a lot of tweaking of the registry, also using the disk management tool, the command prompt to format it that way, that it is a hopeless situation. With the SanDisk formatted in Fat32 you can only place 4 gigs of files on it. Here is the rub: Since I have the same identical problem, I have concluded that (without any advise from Sandisk) that I should have immediately upon inserting the device, began a reformat to the NTFS format. Then the device can accept more than the 4gigs maximum and you can add files at your leasure almost up to the 12 or so gigs left for writing to. I did’nt do that, so I concluded that after loading my files and removing the disk, the built in file structure of the SanDisk told it (in the Fat32 format) To lock up the system so that no more files can be added. I still have the 2.7 gigs files that I can read, but I can’t write to them. I can also copy files back to My Documents, but as far as reformatting the disk, forget it. You should have reformatted the disk to NTFS immediately upon insertion. I know this is not a helpful answer, but it seems to be a reality.

" I concluded that after loading my files and removing the disk, the built in file structure of the SanDisk told it (in the Fat32 format) To lock up the system so that no more files can be added. ."

An interesting theory, but far fetched IMO.

1.  FAT32 is a standard MICROSOFT file system not a SanDisk file system.  

1.  FAT32 formatted hdds have been around for years without experiencing this problem.

3.  The locking of a USB device is more than likely due to the USB device not being safely removed from a host machine, ie while it’s still in use, and the FAT being corrupted as a result with no CHKDSK being run on the device to correct the problems.

IMO

I have ran the CHKDSK program from the command prompt. Sorry, but I believe that I am correct in my assessment. There is nothing wrong with my disk. It will not allow me to reformat it period. I’ve been on the merry-go-round for two weeks now, and even experts at “Staples” the store where I purchased it are baffled by this. They know all about fat32 systems, but the disk reacts for them the same way as it does for me. I’m just saying that unless you format the disk in the NTFS as soon as it is placed in the USB port, you are saying that you are satisfied with the fat32 format and accept its limitations. The limitations are that you can’t reformat it to a more desireable format.

1 Like

FWIW  I have a 16GB Cruzer, with U3 on it even, and when a 6GB backup file failed to be written to it due to the FAT32 limitation I backed up the files on it, reformated it to NTFS, restored my files and have been using it fine every since. 

I understand your problem but I don’t understand the cause of it.  It could be caused by a broken wire in the Cruzer, a static charge zap to it, a spike in the voltage to it from a USB connection, a low voltage power supply, a software security app, etc.  But not your conclusion.

Have you called SanDisk support and asked them?

So whatis news? 

I can not format Sandisk Cruzer, so how is the brutal way to disolve the volume? Have some Linux Tool? I Try Win764 … no sucess, with ChkFlsh or hs2.0. 

Could someone have a way to revert this disk.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-16GB-write-protected-error/m-p/279296#M3080

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-16GB-write-protected-error/m-p/277306#M2953

There’s also a posting floating around about using a camera to reformat the drive.

This is a known hardware error and can’t be fixed. Sandisk is aware of the issue, although there is no official recall for the product. This is an offical answer if you contact customer service:

"I understand that you are getting write protection error while accessing your Cruzer flash drive. The flash drive has detected a potential fault and has become write protected to prevent data loss. There is no method to fix this. You will need to backup your data and replace the flash drive.

Our team of developers is in combination with the OS developers looking into a solution to resolve this issue.

Please note that only a minor percentage of users are experiencing the write protection issue and these are the customers posting on the internet to find a solution."

SOLUTION 1: Return to where you bought and get a refund (as others usb drives might have the same issue)

SOLUTION 2: Contact Sandisk costumer service and get a refund, for the same reasons

1 Like

I have exacly the same pro got it blem as you. I

I do not except that the " Oh you should have formatted it in NTFS when you first got it" not good enough in the UK such selling would contravene the sale of goods act as it is not as described or even merchantable quality.

This  is a forum that the manfacturers benefit from I do not wish to be rude to any members of the public , but why should you volunteer your time just because there to tight to emply a help desk.

so this is to SAndisk - Why does your product not work and why does it not tell you to format it in NTFS, or better still why do you not do it in the factory? These are not just used for computers Televisions, DVD player EC ETC and they will require Fat file system. I was a network Engineer for 10 years so please do not try and dazzle me with technical jargon or patronize me in any way…

Now again  what is the solution to this problem ?

And this is to kind members of the public who volunteer on this group (I myself am a contributer on Yahoo anwers and W7 Forums)

Has any one found a solution to this yet. The only thing I havent tried is booting into gnome linux or similar or even dusting offa DOS disc I have a feeling that would’t work either as didn’t the command line . Lets hope the experts at Sandisk can come up with something as that is there main product.

this has happened to mine too. I was a network Engineer for 10 years this message is really to the management of Sandisc and not to the kind members of the public who help save them money by not employing Helpdesk staff.

SAYING IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FORMATTED FIRST IN NTFS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. These devices are used on DVDs etc so they must have  a fat file system if its sold in the uk in this condition it would contravene the sale of goods act. it should be formatted in the factory than.y

I think the RAM is faulty so when are you going to replace it? :manfrustrated:

And this is a message to the kind contributors who give up there time for these forums (i do yahoo and W7 Forums) thank you very much if you have a solution (other than putting it in the micorwave oven) could work ! let me know. Do you think the directors of Sandisc (i dont know/care the parent company) do the same I thought we agree.:smiley:

I do not except that the " Oh you should have formatted it in NTFS when you first got it”"

I agree, but there’s a lot of kids who think it’s the thing to do.  1.  FAT32 is a more universal format for multiple machines.  2. FAT32 has less overhead then NTFS thus providing longer life for the USB device.  However, if you need to store files larger than 4GB, usually image backups and some movies, then NTFS is your only answer.

This  is a forum that the manfacturers benefit from I do not wish to be rude to any members of the public , but why should you volunteer your time just because there to tight to emply a help desk.”

Some of us are techs who like helping other people.  As a former network Engineer you should be able to relate to that.

so this is to SAndisk - Why does your product not work

As a former network Engineer you should know that s**t happens, and it’s only possible to resolve if you know: what happened, how it happened, when it happened, where it happened, who was involved, etc.  And as you read these various reports that information is rarely provided.  All that is posted is “my device doesn’t work”.  And as a former network Engineer you know that the quickest way to resolve a problem machine is to replace it.

why does it not tell you to format it in NTFS, or better still why do you not do it in the factory?”

See my narrative above.  And NTFS won’t solve the problem.  Highly unlikely the problem is in the file system.

“_ what is the solution to this problem ?”_

Replace the device.  Either from where you bought it or from SanDisk.

You are absolutly right here.

I just bought a new SanDisk 16GB and put some files on it. I got an error during copy because one of my files is > 4GB.

Sure I thought, it’s FAT32, so reformat and copy again finding out that the filesystem is now READONLY!!

So copy a file > 4GB on a sandisk and it locks up the whole disk making it totally unusable.

THANKS SANDISK, ■■■■!!!

My pendrive of sandisk has become readonly so i want to know how to contact with the company?

" i want to know how to contact with the company?"

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

SacanDisk has software on the Flash Drive that changes it to a Read Only if the Drive senses something is wrong with the Oerating System. I received a replacement ScanDisk Cruz 32 GB from ScanDisk. The first thing I did was reformat the ThunDrive to NTFS so I can save fiels larger than 4 GB as 1 file and delete the ScanDisk software that can create the Read Only.

Scandisk has software on the Flash Drive that changes it to a Read Only if the Drive senses something is wrong with the Operating System. I received a replacement Scandisk Cruz 32 GB from Scandisk. The first thing I did was reformat the Thumb Drive to NTFS so I can save files larger than 4 GB as 1 file and delete the Scandisk software that can create the Read Only.

FWIW  The SanDisk software does not create the read only condition.  If software could create the condition than software could remove it and it can’t be done.