Sandisk Ultra 128GB

Dear Sirs, 

I bought a Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 128GB - Model Number: SDCZ48-128G-U46

The packaging states “128GB*”

Followed by: “*1GB = 1,000,000,0000 bytes”

Can you explain to me why the drive is only: 124,188,164,096 bytes when going by your own literature it should be a minimum of 128,000,000,000?

Kind Regards

McB

Explained here many times.

Sir, 

That only explains that the drive would be at least 128GB if the space were calculated as binary bits(each bit is binary) and therefore the drive should be a minimum of “128,000,000,000” bits.

I am using the bit/byte/GB calculations on the packaging to come to this.

This is not an acceptable answer!

Regards

McB

Can you explain to me why the drive is only: 124,188,164,096 bytes

I assume your getting this number from something that is displaying the formatted usable bytes.  And formatted space doesn’t account for bytes used for the partition table, bytes reserved for recovery, and if you have formated the drive bytes used by the MBR and etc.

Think of it this way, when you weigh yourself the scale shows more than just your body weight.  It includes the weight of the air in your lungs, the food in your stomach, the food in your digestive track, the liquid in your bladder and the liquid in your bladder, plus any clothes you are wearing.  So the numbers on the scale do not show your actual body weight.  Same thing with the bits on a flash drive.