Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32gb Slow copy and read speed

Continuing the discussion with newest update: I contacted Sandisk support, and their reply suggests doing a complete reformat (rather than my previous quick format). I tried that, with Windows 7 format.exe utility (I think right-clicking the drive icon and selecting format would bring the same effect, just do as you prefer). After a complete format (into FAT32, by the way), as I tested, speed of file copying onto the drive has raised to 14~15MB/s, which is much better than 3~7MB/s I observed before the format. Read speed is high as always (100MB/s is quite common for large files). I actually did the format twice. The first time it took quite some time (more than half an hour) to complete (as I observed in Windows Performance Monitor, the Write Bytes/sec was for most parts 6~14MB/s, although for some parts it was up to 102MB/s). The second time it completes quite fast, within minutes (almost constantly above 100MB/s as seen in Perfmon). I believe a disk format is affecting the performance somehow.

1 Like