Sandisk Extreme 64GB - make it a fixed drive?

Hi folks,

My main problem was not just to make the flash drive appear as a fixed disk but making a bootable Windows To Go device for Windows 10 Tech Preview on my Extreme SDCZ80-064G-GAM46 64GB stick.  

After trying everything else possible from various instructions and tools found online, WinToUSB beta 2.1 finally worked for me on my SDCZ80-064G. Be sure to select the VHD installation mode (used a 14GB virtual disk setting). I tried WinToUSB version 2.0 without this new option and it didn’t work. After using v2.1 beta I am now able to run Windows Tech Preview from the Sandisk Extreme on my laptop. First boot to setup Windows TP was very slow but once loaded / configured, not so bad. Each boot using the WTG drive now takes several minutes but response is decent once it’s up and running.

This solution solved my issue. It looks like WinToUSB creates the boot partition (14GB size in my case) and that is marked as a Basic (fixed) disk but other drive partition still appears as Removeable Disk in Disk Management but that doesn’t matter to me. I only want to use it as a Windows To Go workspace. There may be a way to setup additional partitiions (Disk Management won’t let me shrink the volume while running WTG workspace) creating an unbootable partition to use for normal storage but I’ll let others figure that out… Fo rnow I happy having WTG working.

Good luck!