Re: Sandisk Extreme 64GB - Slower write speeds after system format

[ Edited ]

-deleted-

Hello there,

I am in the process of replacing my first Sandisk Extreme 64 GB due to speed issues. I was tinkering with Parted Magic but I cannot make the flash drive appear on the list. The notice "This routine can only run for disks supporting the Security Mode feature set" keeps showing up. I managed to have my external USB HDD shown in the list, but not anymore.

How did you manage to make the flashdrive appear on the ATA Secure Erase list?

Thanks in advanced

[ Edited ]

Nevermind, I was running Parted Magic on a Virtual Machine. I burnt the iso on a Usb stick and booted my laptop to a true non-virtual Parted Magic session. My internal HDD was recognized and thus I could ATA secure erase my Sandisk Extreme.

Writing speeds went from 10 mb/s to 190. Could not be happier. Smiley Happy

Again, thank you for the tips on bringing this flash drive back to life. 

hey guys,

I've just bought a Sandisk Extreme 64 gb and wait for it... I'd like to format it to extFat, even before the first write/read. Reason: need/want larger files than just 4gb. So today I said to myself let's a bit of reaseach and I was really afraid to find this thread and well here we are. I mainly bought this flash drive because its well promoted speed and don't wanna lose this feature.

So for those who were able to recover original speeds (e.g with parted magic), have you guys formatted to fat32 or got the original speed with other formats?

Thanks,
SanDisk Guru

SanDisk drives 64GB and larger are factory formated as exFAT.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

I'm not so sure about that or... have I just got a fake?

extreme64.png

[ Edited ]

I'm a huge fan of Western Digital and WAS a fan of SanDisk but after owning this stick it will be my last SanDisk purchase.

I work in I.T. and have formatted hundreds of drives. It's a very common thing and i didn't think twice about formatting this stick. The effort i've put in to get this back to a decent state is stupid, and it's just not possible, the write speeds are less than that of a standard USB 2.0 stick. I've even tried aligning the partitions as previous posts have suggested but no dice.

For anyone who finds this thread in the future, make sure this is your last SanDisk purchase, they don't deserve your money.

SanDisk Guru

Or just make sure you don't blindly format it cause that's what you always do.  New flash drive = new technology = new use proceedure.  If you've been in IT for any period of time you should have seen other equipment and processes change, flash drives are no different.

" i didn't think twice about formatting this stick"

If you want to make sure this is your last Sandisk drive you will have to think twice before buying another drive.  Sure you're up to it?  Smiley Tongue

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

[ Edited ]

Sure, technology changes but there was no warning that came with the stick about formatting and worse than that SanDisk have zero tools to format or restore it to its former glory. Really the only way someone would learn not to format these sticks is by formatting them and then searching for a solution when it goes belly up. Otherwise there no way of knowing this specific issue (and it is an issue).

Like i said, i've got USB 2.0 sticks that now outperform the write speed on this stick, and this stick was not cheap. I've lost all trust for SanDisk now, as much as i like their products i cannot go back because of how terrible this has gone. I mean, where the hell is some formatting software from SanDisk? It doesn't exist and I'm now moving on to better products, at least they will work as intended.

This is exactly what the issue is about. Formatting the factory filesystem has absolutely nothing to do with the slowing speeds and I don't know why it's being said that causes the problem. I've got 2 of these drives and one I formatted to NTFS and the other is still exFAT and both have slowed down in write and reads.

Using SecureErase in PartedMagic has restored it back to normal but surely the flash drive controller should be doing this automatically. I've already contacted the retailer I bought it from and requested to return them. You shouldn't have to manually maintain the drive yourself to keep it working fast. It would have been a great USB drive if it weren't for this issue.