Sandisk Cruzer Edge 32GB USB Write Protected

I have a Cruzer Edge 32GB usb and yesterday whilst transfering some stuff over to it, it all of a sudden come up with the write protetion error message and i want to know if there is a way to fix it.

thanks

I have seen this issue once in a while. have you tried reformatting it? 

Hi, i have this issue also. i have just tried to create a recovery usb stick for my new laptop and it failed leaving the stick ‘write protected’ the stick is a Sandisk Cruzer edge 32gb. is the stick now unuseable? i have tried reformatting the stick in windows in cmd/dos as administrator using the format /x command and also obtained a hopy of hp’s usb format tool yet to no avail. can you help?

If the drive is under warrantee return it for a replacement.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

I have had this happen as well on several occassions the best way to fix it (if you are on vista/7/8) is to use diskpart, it is built in to all 3 of the windows OS that I listed.

1. open a command prompt with admin rights

2.  type in “diskpart” and hit the enter key (no quote marks of course) it will open a new window.

1. type in “list disk”  (no quote marks)

2. I dentify the number of the disk that matches your flash drive, on the example below mine would be disk 7

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB
Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B
Disk 2 Online 298 GB 0 B
Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 6 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 7 Online 14 GB 0 B

1. type in “select disk N” (again no quotes with N being the number of your drive). be very very careful here as disk part is a powerful command line tool and assumes you know what your doing and will easily wipe out a drive you don’t want it to if you select the wrong disk number. Example:

DISKPART> select disk 7

Disk 7 is now the selected disk.

1. once you confirm it has selected the right disk number; (example above, second line), type in " Clean" (no quotes), this will completly remove all partition information and set the disk up to be reformatted

2. at this point you can either create volumes/partitions and format it with diskpart or close diskpart and use your format tool of choice.