Sandisk 64gb usb problem

Hello why i cant move larger file than 4GB into flash. HELP PLS

http://www.part.lt/img/4a9f15f0e43f0350ade01213707518b4342.png

This may explain:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/what-is-the-maximum-file-size-fat-fat32-ntfs-file/1663db6b-490e-4021-9e36-f7a6976ac0c0?auth=1

1 Like

You need to format the drive using either ExFAT or NTFS. Most likely, the drive shipped using the ancient FAT32 file system, which can only move single files up to something like three or four GB in size.

If you are using on a Windows computer only, format it using the more robust NTFS. If you want to be able to use it on a Windows, Mac (or other non-Windows device), format it using ExFAT. I

(You probably know this already, but go to my computer - right mouse click on the drive - click format - change the file system to NTFS or ExFAT - click format, and youre good to go.

(also, if you are using it only on Windows 8/8.1/10, you may want to use the DiskPart menu to change the drive from master boot record to a guid partition table, as its a little more robust.)

Most likely, the drive shipped using the ancient FAT32 file system

SanDisk drives larger than 32GB are manufactured with the exFAT file system which supports file sizes larger than 4GB, is compatible with all OSs and doesn’t have the journeling overhead associated with the NTFS file system.  They also are formatted as large floppies, ie no MBR. 

If you buy a drive with the FAT32 file system somebody has used it and formatted it before selling it.

I did not know that SanDisk’s default was exfat without a partitioning scheme. I’ve gotten flash products of large sizes from several makers that still use older FAT32 as the default. With that said, I’ve seen it most with microSD cards. I always assumed the likely reason was because some accessories still use FAT32, and formatting a FAT32 drive to exfat or NTFS takes seconds without 3rd party software, where was formatting a larger drive to exfat or NTFS to FAT32 is not so simple, even though FAT32 can handle sizes up to several TBs IIRC.

I agree with you regarding both the overhead and compatibility, but I still consider NTFS + GPT as the most reliable option (obviously it’s only useful provided NTFS will work with all items the drive is used with.) Obviously that is my personal opinion, since exfat has certain benefits with flash drives like the less overhead, how the size of a file tends to be slightly smaller on exfat disks, the preservation of write cycles, and slightly better speeds with certain sized files.  For me personally, NTFS became a more viable option upon learning how to enable NTFS write support on OS X for the rare times I need to write to a NTFS disk/drive on OS X.