Remove write protection from USB drive

One SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32GB drive decided it was time to be write protected. Diskpart showed that the disk was currently in a read-only state.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 6.3.9600 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MEINCOMPUTER DISKPART\> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 111 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 0 B Disk 3 Online 698 GB 0 B Disk 4 Online 28 GB 0 B Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 6 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 7 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 8 No Media 0 B 0 B DISKPART\> select disk 4 Disk 4 is now the selected disk. DISKPART\> attributes disk Current Read-only State : Yes Read-only : No Boot Disk : No Pagefile Disk : No Hibernation File Disk : No Crashdump Disk : No Clustered Disk : No

After a number of attempts suggested by Internet I decided that it was time to give up and give in to the dark side.

This was a FAQ entry at EMTEC: 

My flash drive doesn't work / My flash drive is write protected HOME › FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS › USB FLASH DRIVES
You can try restoring flash drive by using that "Restore" tool (backup data before): Download link: http://www.emtec-international.com/sites/default/files/drivers/restore.zip If it doesn't fix the issue, flash drive should be returned to the store where it has been purchased to get a replacement. Process to restore: 1) Plug the flash drive (certify that only the EMTEC flash drive is plugged) 2) launch restore.exe 3) Press the button RESTORE 4) A warning message is displayed about erasing data. Press RESTORE to continue. 5) A confirmation message is displayed, then press the YES 6) A message RESTORING DEVICE ... appears. Do not unplug the flash drive and wait for the restoration (1 to 2 minutes).

The download link is also dead but I found a program that fit the description. Ignoring the “certify” part and following the instructions I now have a working SanDisk USB drive. An empty one but at least I can use it to unimportant file transfers.

This is a copy of the program. Use at your own risk…

https://minfil.org/H2D3n6b2bb/Restore.zip

I will never buy a SanDisk USB drive again.

Hello,

in that case the drive is defective and needs to be replaced:

here is the link for the replacement:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/rmaform/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NzEwNzcwOC9zaWQveVU4d2FhVW0%3D

@tekman wrote:

One SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32GB drive decided it was time to be write protected.

I will never buy a SanDisk USB drive again.

You are aware that this could happen to any flash drive regardless of manufacturer, right? :confounded:

@schnuffyrex wrote:

in that case the drive is defective and needs to be replaced:

Yes. I will try and see if they grant me RMA of a “currently” working drive that is without a proof of purchase.-) I am trying to get it to fail again using “H2testw” endless write/verify.

This is not the first time a SanDisk drive has given me problem. It has been drives that have identified themself as “Local Disk” instead of the expected “Removable Disk” which created a lot of problem with programs that apperantly only works with a “Removable Disk”. Drives that suddenly stopped working in any USB input on one computer but continued to work in other computer. Drives that sometime didn’t work in a certain USB port when every other USB drive always worked.

All of this I have never seen from any other “brand” USB drive. No more SanDisk for me

I have had the same issue and sent it off for a replacement.

Why are SanDisk USB drives setup with this unremovable write protection? not very user friendly is it.

It beats the other option, of dying and everything being lost.