New Cruzer Glide 128 Gb. Not Working/ Not Installing

I just bought a new Cruzer Glide 128 Gb flash drive, but it’s not working in my laptop. It says that it’s compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and Mac, my laptop is running Windows Vista Home Edition. Whenever I connect it to any on my usb ports, it make a sound that it’s connected and a window pops up say that new Hardware has been found and needs to be installed. I allow it to be installed and wait. After waiting 5 minutes or more, it says that it can’t install drivers and to see the Manufactors support page.  I have a Cruzer Glide 32Gb that works in all my usb ports,  so I’m wondering what’s going on with 128Gb?

hmmmm  The 128 drive is formated as exFAT.  Does Vista support exFAT?  Is there a Windows Update required that adds support for it to Vista?

Does the 128 drive work in other computers? 

I’m not sure if Vista support exFAT, but it does say on the package that it does. I did a bit of investigating when it come to my laptop and it does support exFAT.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say, “Is there a Windows Update required that adds support for it to Vista?” I did checked to make sure my verison of Vista is up-to date, which it is.

I did try it in my car and at my work, it recognized the flashdrive in my car and on the computer at my work(Windows 7).

it recognized the flashdrive in my car and on the computer at my work(Windows 7).

So, the problem isn’t the flash drive, it’s your pc.

my laptop and it does support exFAT.

The only possibilities I can think of at this point are: 1. your pc’s security system is preventing access to the flashdrive.  If the flashdrive has SecureAccess on it maybe your system is preventing access to it. 2. There’s something wrong with your USB port.  Maybe it isn’t getting enough power, possible if you have a lot of other USB devices, or the port’s contacts are a bit oxidized.

For nbr 1 check your system’s firewall and AV logs to see if they show anything.  For nbr 2 try some emery paper on the port’s contacts.  VERY lightly.

Let us know what you find.

I have encountered this issue myself too, and WIndows update fixed as suggested above. I’d try it as well.