HELP!!!!! how do i reomove 'write protected' message from my 16gb flash drive?

:smileyvery-happy:Ed_P, This topic is not funny but!!! your comment and tapeworm’s gave me a good laugh,

or if your reply was verbal “In one ear and out the other” hehe sry! mmmm no i’m not, i have a near new 32Gb sandisk

cruzer. So really can’t even function now as a usefull paperweight…mm should be cranky now nah can’t be bothered its friday and my mood always improves by friday afternoon )) Ed_P DON’T stop wondering as Sheldon doesn’t.:smiley:

have a good weekend anyway,

cya.

Hello

I Just used for less 2-3 minutes, while downloading a short clip from the youtube, using the famous pluging (downloadhelper) of the mozdila.

I just bought this pen (exactly the same 16GB of the member who created the topic) to solve a problem of my nootebook to fix erros of my windows 7 services startup (…)

Anyway, this was my first product and for sure the last one…very disappointed!

SanDisk, you the Kewn it all the time the problem, the issue…whatever and you still send this piece of “tecnology” to the resellers…

Are you serious manufactured…are you kidding with our money!

Where is the proper solution

There’s no word’s to describe how you disrespectful the consumers, i bought today por 42 reais (brazillian currency, i’m not brazillian guy…it doesn’t matter…) about 21 dolars…

I’m prety sure, that i’ll not get a refund, from the shop (this is brazil…).

I just like to end and to say…shame on you SanDisk, and thank you very much for not presenting a decent software solution!!

Cheers,

César.

“Where is the proper solution”

As posted numerous times RETURN IT.  If the store you bought it at won’t replace it then contact SanDisk directly for a replacement.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

@Sevens.

Enjoy your weekend.  :wink: 

Sorry SanDisk Guru,

I know you are doing your best to trying to help everyone here :smiley:

But this is a serious problem…a real one!

The big majority of the stores here in the Brasil they don’t give you a warranty, only a receipt or a just simple invoiced (if i were Portugal would be a lot different…)

Anyway, as i told before, SanDisk should have a proper solution, a simple software solution with just 2 click’s (like  format too** l in house by SanDisk**, and there’s none) and not paying the transportation and actualy that is very expensive…at minimum half of price of the product.

Cheer’s

I know you are doing your best to trying to help everyone here

Thank you.  We try.

"_ SanDisk should have a proper solution, a simple software solution with just 2 click’s_ "

No question that would be preferred by everybody, SanDisk included.  Which leads me to believe the problem is more serious than a software glitch. I suspect something is getting shorted out inside the chip.  It could be caused by heat, low voltage or a high voltage spike but once done there is no fix.

On the bright side, at least the error doesn’t cause one to loose all their files.  Imagine how you’d feel if that happened. :wink:

Send your USB drive back to SanDisk, the least expensive way you can, and get a replacement drive.  That way your purchase won’t be a complete lost.  Sorry, but it’s the only way.

Howdy Ed,

I really apreciated your attention and i agreed with you about the different causes of the issue…there is so many possibility’s (…)

On my case, it was very strange perhaps it was just high voltage spike when i switch the computers, but today it was my lucky day, and went to the store were i purchase the pen drive and they…exchange for a new pen!

After all, the quality of the stores in Brazil it’s improving…that’s a good sign!

The knew one works perfectly! :smileyhappy

have a nice weekend,

César.

Thank you for the update azores.  Good to hear you got a working replacement. 

FWIW I read on another thread today that someone who returned their Cruzer to SanDisk did so with a prepaid shipping label. So the replacement service doesn’t cost anything.  Good to know right.  :smiley:

Howdy,

Thank you Ed, for this worderfull news.

Cheers,

César

I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen to 4GB blades too.

They are so inexpensive that sending them back to Sandisk would cost much more than buying a new one.

And that’s a real shame.

I also read theat Sandisk offerend prepaid postage. That’s good but terrible for sandisk!

Sandisk should inspect the problem and offer a tool to “re certify” the devices (as all hdd manufacturers do).

Oh and by the way, a utility to SET the write protect would be very nice too!

Don’t make me (or anyone else) hack them… come on :slight_smile:

same problem is here how can i remove it

Is 16gb cruzer fixed as error product?? and cannot repair with LLF or jump some pin at hadware? it was 7 months after first posting about “write protect” and i wait for it, but vendor never give tecnichal information about this product, resend is not a good option for storage cause data contained on it. Time to resend product is not suitable with the price too. I suggest if vendor technician cannot analyze their own product, vendor should posted this product fixed error and connot repaired, so no one will ask about this case agian in this forum.

RMAs provide free shipping and it has been posted that some RMAs allowed the user to smash the drive before returning it.  So your arguments don’t hold up.

• Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.

• Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

• Double click the key WriteProtect in the right pane and set the value to 0

• In the Data Value Box, press OK

• Exit Registry, restart your computer and then re-connect your USB pen drive to your computer.

how do i reomove ‘write protected’ message from my 16gb flash drive?please answer.

Have someone read the solutions posted previously to you. 

1 Like

:smiley:   Hola a Todos

EL Cybernauta y la Protección de Escritura

Conozco tres casos sobre este tema, dos que los podemos instrumentar nosotros, y uno, que no depende de nosotros.

1.1-  El primer caso: es el modo mecánico (con interruptor).

Como pueden ver en las fotos, es un simple interruptor que está a la izquierda/arriba (Lock) en las tarjetas SD. Y de la misma manera, está en el adaptador para las microSD, que es como una tarjeta SD hueca. También, parece que hubo hace años, Pendrives con interruptor mecánico, que se dejaron de fabricar.

Yo nunca pude conseguir una, sólo la foto (Wikipedia).

Éste, es el mejor modo de acceder a PCs públicas sin riesgo de malwares, pues una vez que pones el interruptor en Lock, se convierte en sólo lectura y ningún virus podrá infectar la tarjeta SD.

Y la microSD, la pones, en un adaptador (en Lock), y si la PC no tiene un puerto card, la pones luego, en un Lector por USB, de alta calidad, para tarjetas.

1.2-  El segundo caso: es el modo informático (con software).

Se puede hacer de tres maneras: “tocando” una línea del Registro de Windows, con gpedit.msc, o con algún programita (free) que lo hace por ti y sin riesgo (USB WriteProtector 1.20, etc.).

Pero, atención, esto sólo sirve para la PC en que trabajas, no para las UFD, pues no es nada más que un bloqueador de puertos de la PC.

Cuando yo voy a usar una PC desconocida, antes de poner la UFD, bajo el programita de internet (correo o disco virtual), y entonces bloqueo los puertos USB, que quedan como de “sólo lectura”, para que los virus, no “me escriban” en la misma.

Y ahí, veo si la PC es peligrosa, pues cuando hay virus, empiezan a aparecer popus engañosos, que me piden que quite la protección de escritura.

De todos, la mejor protección es la mecánica, pues hay paquetes de virus que te bloquean el registro y no queda fijado el bloqueo al puerto.

1.3-  El tercer caso: es el modo electrónico (por falla en el Chip de la UFD).

Éste, es el que no podemos nosotros implementarlo, y tampoco por ahora, deshacerlo.

Como habrán visto en el Forum, hay muchas quejas por el problema: enojos, rezongos, gemidos, lamentos, lloriqueos, aullidos y propuestas “mágicas”.

Y sin embargo, por ahora la solución es muy simple: devolver la UFD y listo.

Disfruten.

Saludos, Alfred.

:smiley:   Hi All

The Cybernaut and the Write Protect

I know three cases on this subject, two that we can implement, and one, that does not depend on us.

1.1-  The first case: is the mechanical mode (with switch).

As you can see from the photos, it is a simple switch that is to the left / up (Lock) on the SD card.

And in the same way, is the adapter for microSD, which is like an empty SD card.

Also, it appears that there were anciently_, Pendrive with mechanical_ switch, which is stopped making.

I could never get one, only the picture (Wikipedia).

This, is the best way to access public PCs without risk of malwares, because once you put the switch in Lock, it becomes read-only, and no virus can infect the SD card.

Then, you put the microSD into an adapter (in Lock), and if the PC does not have a port card, you put it in USB reader card (of high quality).

1.2-  The second case: the informatic mode (with software).

Can be done in three ways: “touching” a line Windows Registry, with gpedit.msc, or with small software (free), that does it for you without risk (USB WriteProtector 1.20, etc.).

But beware, this is only, for the PC on which you are working, not for the UFD, by it is nothing more, than an port blocker for your PC.

When I go to use an unknown PC, before putting the UFD, under the small software of internet (email or virtual disk), and then I lock the USB ports, which remain then as “read only”, for that the virus can not write in it.

And there, see if PC is dangerous, because when there are viruses, misleading popus, asking me to remove the “write protection”, begin to appear.

In all, the best protection is the mechanical, because there are virus packages, that block the register, for unlocking the port.

3.3-  The third case : the electronic mode (due to failure the “Chip” UFD).

This, is that which we can not implement, and nor for now, undo it.

As you, saw in the Forum , there are many complaints about the problem: angers, grunts, groans, wailing, howls, and “magic” proposals

Yet, for now the solution is very simple: return the UFD and ready.

Enjoy.

Regards, Alfred.                                                          (Google translated).

PS: extracted of post:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/Micro-SD-Adapter-needed-to-unlock-write-protection-on-micro-SD/td-p/320006

Can this post be trusted as a way to un-write-protect the sandisk cruzer glide?

3.3 definitely works.

Be sure to backup your files before doing it.

One problem with returning the drive (San Disk 256 GB Cruzer)- it has sensitive information. Is there a work around without returning the device? I purchased this at Costco within the last month (or thereabouts); I think I have the receipt. Without the receipt, I guess this is a no-go from the start, correct?

For the record, the first one ( a few more months back) has not had this issue.

Device details: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 1.00 [250.45 GB] (489160704 512-byte sectors)

thanks,

Costco should be able to check your purchase on their system even without a receipt.

You can also return the drive to SanDisk for a replacement.  And with them it is possible to smash the drive with a hammer before returning it.  Do verify that with them before doing it.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process