FORCED to upgrade to V3 of SecureAccess on Mac.  Then all is gone!

Been using a SanDisk Cruzier 32GB for a few years now.  All great!  UNTIL.

Premise:  Ugraded to V3 on Windows many months ago… all great!

Have used on Mac 10.8 (Mountain Lion) with V2 in the past - no problem.

Last night… popped into Mac and launched the V2.app (locally installed) and it prompted me to hit next to go through the upgrade steps to V3.  I did not want to do this at that time… I had a deadline … just wanted to open a file and print it and move on until I had a few hours to deal with a formal upgrade.

So, after cancelling, I browse to the Cruzier drive and select Secureaccess V2.0 for Mac - as I ALWAYS HAVE!!!

I get a dialog box that says… upgrade available… select Cancel or Upgrade … I hit cancel thinking it would let me continue on into the V2 software… BUT NO!

I run the V2 software again.  Get the prompt to Cancel or Upgrade again… NOTICE:  There is NO WARNING - NO BACKUP NOW OPTION, NO INDICATION THAT YOU ARE ABOUT LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR CURRENT VAULT AS IT REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE!

Without any expectation of total melt down… I selected Upgrade as I still wanted to get my work done.  Mind you, there was no other option to get to my data at this point!! NONE!  When I selected Upgrade… the progress bar started and it was over in 30-40 secs… done.  V2 software was removed from the Cruzier and V3 was put there; all in less than a couple of mins… everything V2 was gone to include my V2 vault, the data within and the V2 software.  GONE!

I am sick, disgusted, frustrated and frankly pissed to no end.  I had a LOT of data on there I transported to/fro for work.  I have been working all night and part of this day to try to figure a way to recover or at least restore an old backup (1 year ago)  to no avail.  ITS GONE!

NOW - SANDISK… I’m pissed more at your UPGRADE automated process than anything.  You guys are data people and are supposed to be better that this.  I don’t understand how you do not have a backup step in your process … at least the option to click if not mandatory.  And now that I cannot get V2 software to reinstall and restore to from old vault.  So put yourself in my shoes.  You have now COST ME more money that a 32GB USB Stick (which was expensive a few years ago)…

Not happy!

1 Like

Same problem here. Whoever made this update did no think this through. I made 3 copies of my Sandisk Vault. I have Journal Entries going back for months, pictures, Stories, tons of stuff that’s important to me, and now two of the copies are gone.

When I open the Sandisk Vault, all that’s there is: 'USB Flash Drive" Type:3 Date: 12/8/2018 8:32 AM Size: 0KB. Did it really just delete all of my data in one update. Who even thought that this was a good feature? Now nothing comes up when I open those two copies. And if it’s just going to have to update when I try to use my third, what am I going to do? All of my data will be permanently lost then.

What am I even supposed to do if I want to keep my only copy of months of work?

I can’t even trust Sandisk anymore if they just give a crapy update that deletes everything in their Secure Vault. Where do I even keep my data now?

Is there any way to open my last copy without everything updating and erasing all of my data? It’s the last copy I got.

Not a Mac user so kinda guessing here.  Can you disable wifi connectivity in your Mac?  If so maybe then you can access your files without the upgrade function taking place.  And if that works extract EVERY ONE of your files and save them outside of SecureDisk.

As for your last backup, I would try to get another or 2 copies of it made before testing it, just in case.