Cannot see SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB directories

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB which is full of data, but I can no longer see the files.  If I browse to the disk, it shows that it is empty.  If I go to DOS and do a directory, it shows as empty.   If I look at the properties of the disk, it shows that only a few MB are available out of 30 GB.

The file has photos and Microsoft Office files on it - the disk space properties are as expected, but how do I retrieve my data?

Try running a CHKDSK command on it.  Hopefully the File Allocation Table simply got screwed up.

When I run CHKDSK, it says the type of the file system in RAW and won’t run.   How could the file system type have changed? 

:smiley:   Hi Dkolodji,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

1-     Friend, please test the Cruzer in other PCs, to discard problems of your PC.

2-     If your Cruzer is showing that the file system is Raw, this means the partition is corrupt or missing.

For formatting the Cruzer (UFD), you will first need to create a new partition or logical drive on the UFD.

Note : All data will be lost.

2.1-   In Start / My PC / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management:

2.2-   Right-click unallocated or Raw space on the UFD where you want to create the partition.

And then click New Partition (Win XP) or New Simple Volume (Vista, W7 and W8).

2.3-   In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.

2.4-   For the partition or volume size use the default settings, which will create a single partition on the UFD. Click Next.

2.5-   Assign, a drive letter for the UFD. Select a drive letter that is not being used by another unit.

2.6- Choose, the file system Fat32 (Cruzer 32 GB) or system exFat (Cruzer more 32 GB). Click Next.

2.7- Click Finish, to complete partitioning and formatting the UFD.

3-      If the above steps have not solved the problem, do not grieve more, contact _ SanDisk Technical Support _ who will replace the device, if it’s authentic and is within warranty. Link: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Luck, and then you tell us, what happened, please.

Regards, Alfred.                                                            (Google translated)

I really don’t care about using the device - I just want the data from it.   I will try it in a different PC.

[ I just want the data from it. I will try it in a different PC. ]

Friend, here you have these tools (portable apps, free), but I do not know, if they work with Raw.

Test, and then tell me, please.

Download in your PC, this tool, configured to use to “one touch”: Recuva 1.51, http://filecloud.io/_cpweb34i

Regards, Alfred.                                                                            (Google translated)

I just want the data from it. I will try it in a different PC.  ]

Friend, here you have these tools (portable apps, free), but I do not know, if they work with Raw.

Test, and then tell me, please.

Download in your PC, this tool, configured to use to “one touch”: Recuva 1.51, portable app, free

Regards, Alfred.                                      (Google translated)

I had same problem…got most of my data using recuva first…then followed up with EaseUS Data Recovery…both are freeware and easily found with a google search.  You can get your data, but it may not be segregated/filed the way you originally had it…but the data will be available if it is not completely corrupted