8gb Flashdrive...

Dear SanDisk Guru…
8/13/2011 i bought an 8gb flashdrive and when i plugged it into my PC for the first time, there is already data preloaded onto it, using up 60.7mb of my free space. But when i go to delete it and free that up for my data, it tells me that if i delete it, the result would be harmful to my systems. What do i do now? Part number SDCZ36-008G BI1106OHYB. There are four “programs” on the flashdrive:

1. Title: “Club Application”. In that folder are multiple files each titled “MainrARA.dll 1.0.0.1”
  2. A folder titled: “SanDiskSecureAccess”
  3. An application of some type titled: “RunSanDiskSecureAccess_WinDmailer S.A.”
  4. An application of some type titled: “RunClubSanDisk Bootstrap Module”

Return it to where you bought it and tell them you don’t want a USB device with a secure backup system installed on it for you to use.  See if they have anything less complicated for you.

@ed_p wrote:

Return it to where you bought it and tell them you don’t want a USB device with a secure backup system installed on it for you to use.  See if they have anything less complicated for you.

No do not return it that is very poor advice.

you can delete all of the apps that you want to it will not cause any harm to the drive. 

the club sandisk stuff is just a marketing application that will give you offers for programs created by sandisk partners. i call this creative spam :slight_smile: if you dont need special offers just delet it

the secure access application is a password and encryption app that will allow you to encrypt and passowrd protect files you put in the app. if you dont want security on the device you can delete that as well.

The third option is to simply format the drive. this will erase everything. if you at any time decide you want the security app back you can download it from the stickied post at the top of this board. 

MUST i “format” the flashdrive before usage in order to maximize memory?

No, you could simply delete the folders or use it as is.

Someone told me that the applications pre-installed on the flashdrive will send a copy of all data i save on it to someone at SanDisk. Especially, private and financial data. How can you prove this will not happen?

I’ll stand my original suggestion.  Return it and get something less complicated.  Maybe your friend who thinks he knows how the SanDisk app works can help you decide what to buy.

@iq145 wrote:

Someone told me that the applications pre-installed on the flashdrive will send a copy of all data i save on it to someone at SanDisk. Especially, private and financial data. How can you prove this will not happen?

this is simply not true. the only app that would do anything like that is club sandisk and it only sends information about the offers you take. it is all in the End users licence agreement. no personal data of any kind is stored or transmitted. 

never the less just delete it. if you dont want to use it just delete it. there is nothing complicated about this and returning it will not acomplish anything you cant do with a simple format or deleting the files you do not want. 

Thank you, Dr. Lucky. You appear to have a hater with anti-Sandisk intentions at heart. 

As for my other question, i found the answer at http://www.sandisk.com

“NOTE: All SanDisk memory cards come pre-formatted. SanDisk USB flash drives doesn’t need to be formatted out of the box. If re-formatting is needed, follow the steps below.”

OK so anyway…
If the pre-loaded apps are just a method of spam-vertisement, then why is part of the internal program named “Dmailer”?

like i said there are 2 applications. club sandisk the advertizment app and secure access. secure access is an ecryption and password application and it was programed by a company named dmailer.