64GB USB 3.0 Extreme Only Works on 2.0

Doesn’t help.

Thanks for the reply. I wondered if it was a driver/update issue. I have recently completed all my updates and even updated the bios in ignorance of how this stuff works but to no avail.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this and is willing to reply.

To the best of my knowledge the USB 3.0 specs are not a hardened standard yet.  Thus different vendors may impliment it differently in their machines.  And different manufacturers may impliment it differently in their flash drives.

Obviously not a good situation.

That is very unfortunate. Hopefully there is a software based fix for this to create some kind of compatibility.

From the benchmarks I could find, this 64GB USB3.0 Extreme is the best thumb drive there is.

Maybe, atleast, someone knows of a PCI-e card that is compatible.

I would like to refresh this thread. I’ve been looking everywhere I could for a solution but to no avail. All i’ve been able to find were threads of the same problem but not solution.

So far all I know is that some motherboards are compatible but some are not. As to why that is, there is no answer. I hope the someone that using a PCI-e card for USB3.0 that is also using the same flash drive will share with us the card he is using.

Has anyone heard of any fix like a software update yet? Maybe a PCI card that is compatible?

I have a similar issue. I also have the 64GM USB 3.0 Extreme. It was working just fine on my home computer’s 3.0 ports, but for no apparent reason, it has suddenly stopped working. It still works on the 2.0 ports, and 2.0 devices work on the 3.0 ports, but the 3.0 device doesn’t register at all when plugged into the 3.0 port. I don’t have any other 3.0 devices, so I can’t tell if it’s the device or the port. It’s maddening. I’ve been searching online for some sort of advice or answer to the problem, but I haven’t found anything yet.

It’s a shame, because I love this little drive and it was working up until about a week ago.

You know what’s really strange? If you look at the performance of this drive to the others on the market, it blows them away by a strong 30-50% in some various tests. 

Typically, similar technology across the board don’t deviate more than 10-20% from the norm. In this case, I’m somewhat unsurprised, even suspicious of how suddenly something so effective is suddenly rendered practically useless.

Whatever the case may be, I still think there has to be a pci-e card, at least as a quick and dirty solution, to be able to keep using this drive, that is compatable. 

Have you read this posting??

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Sandisk-Extreme-64GB-Slower-write-speeds-after-system-format/m-p/306741#M6391

All my drivers are up-to-date. In fact, I was wondering if maybe it was updating them that caused the problem.

I’ve been waiting for Asus to fix their support driver page so I can update the USB drivers and BIOS. It’s finally up and I’ve done just that.

STILL the drive is not detectable. Not even a chime in windows that I’ve plugged something in even though the light on the thumb drive lights up. 

I’m still hoping someone can recommend a PCIe USB card that they know works with this drive.

With all the hits this thread seems to be getting, I’m assuming this problem reaches a few more people than just me. It would be great if someone could look a little deeper into this.

It would be very much appreciated. :smiley:

To the best of my knowledge, and that’s not saying much, there is no set USB 3.0 interface standard.  As such a USB 3.0 device may work on 1 machine’s USB 3.0 port but not on another machine’s.  Sorry.

This makes me a sad panda:cry:

As far as I know the USB 3.0 standard has been set for a long time. There is a new standard being introduced, 3.1, which doubles the theorestical limit up to 10 Gb/sec. Many of these users are reporting that the problem they have (like me) is they were using the Extreme successfully in USB 3.0 ports then it stopped responding. It now only works in USB 2.0 ports.

I had my second drive fail this morning on a very new (Intel H87 chipset) motherboard. SanDisk apparently doesn’t read these forums, because they seem surprised at this problem.

No more SanDisk for me, if only because of their horrible support. They grilled me for such detail about my first disk that I felt like a criminal being interrogated. When I asked them why, they said they wanted to be sure I owned a “genuine” Extreme drive. They think I would defraud them over a few dollars? It sould cost more to send it back than it cost originally!

There are indeed counterfeit drives out there, rather cheap too, and they aren’t covered by the SanDisk warrantee.  But the RMA process has free shipping both directions last I heard.

@ed_p wrote:

There are indeed counterfeit drives out there, rather cheap too, and they aren’t covered by the SanDisk warrantee.  _ But the RMA process has free shipping both directions last I heard. _

Only in the US. This is a legitimate concern of people that happen to live elsewhere and I feel for them, but then I’m not privy to why this is or the decisions of SanDisk’s policies.

Only in the US.

Really!!  I was not aware of that.  Thanks for the clarification.

Hello everybody. i think i may have solved the issue. at least for me. i have my flash drive connected to a key chain that when plugged in pulls down on the drive. im too lazy to remove it from the drive so i do this every time i plug it in. a few weeks ago my drive also stopped working in 3.0 ports but continues to work in 2.0 points just like everybody else. i decided to pull it apart to see if anything had fried, and i found that the far right trace of the usb connector has peeled off the board from the stress that i put it under. not sure if this is anyone elses problem but i hope i shed some light in that this is probably a hardware problem

Nice!!  Thank you for sharing  your experience. 

i know this is old, but wanted to point out a rather embarasing possability - I’ve had a USB3.0 Sandisk on my key chain for some time, the smaller ones that have a designed loop at the end for just that purpose.  I recently noticed the same failure - USB2 would work, but not 3.0. it would seem connectivity (layer 1 = physicaly) would be the primary ingredient at play here. After careful observation i finally noticed a piece of pocket link stuck int he back of the key. After carefully removing it with a dental pick it resumed working normally. 

not sure if this is the same or similar for others with the kind of problem, but it was certainly mine.