Sandisk extrême speed link at Sata 1 ?

Hello, sorry for my bad English, i’m French.   I havé à MacBook pro mid 2009. 17". I’m already tried a Sandisk Extreme SSD, but this drive don’t work well. My Negotiated Link is only 1,5 Gb (SATA 1) and not 3 Gbs (SATA 2). But my Link is real 3.0 Gb. (SATA 2)   Does anyone here have the same Macbook Mid 2009 17 Does it work with Sata 2 ? (NEGOTIATED LINK  3.0 Gbs)   In case of not, wich SSD buy for SATA 2 ?     Thanks

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2624608?start=0&tstart=0

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104301

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Macbook-Pro-Mid-2009-17-quot-Only-SATA-1-Negotiated-link/td-p/93224

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1326295

This seems to be a well documented MAC issue. Unfortunately you will need to contact Apple but from what I could find there is no fix for the issue. 

Hello Thanks for reply I saw answers on forum, and i saw to OCZ made spécial firmware for their SSD. ( who solve problem). Maybe sandisk can do that

from what i read this is not a SSD issue but a MAC issue. your best bet would be to contact Apple for a solution. 

I contact them, but they don’t know where is the problem.

Maybe an incompatibility between Macbook Mid 2009 (Nvidia Chipset SATA) and Sandforce SSD ? (OCZ made a firmware for this problem ?)

Sorry mobile, I’ve been snooping around here for awhile now…and there hasn’t been 1 release of a new firmware…

NO tools or anything to load it in sight either. I read a post about the possibility…but normally any product or release comes WAYYYYYY after the initial talks.

So I don’t think there will be a firmware upgrade for you or anyone else.  I think it will always have what it was shipped with.

~HaO

A new firmware update was released a few days ago. Not sure it will help this issue though.

i have the same problem with my Gigabyte M68MT-S2 (AM3+ MB) with nVidia nforce 630a/7025 chipset.

Only Sata 1 spec for Sandisk extrem 120 ssd …

So i update with the last nVidia SATA drivers = no results.

I update last Sandisk firmware (rev 2.01) = nothing change.

My WD HDD caviar green is faster and OK on SATA 2 spec…

So if Sandisk aren’t able to fix it quickly, i return the ssd for it’s bad performances  

first thsi is a tread about older MAC systems so you should really create your own thread since this is not a MAC issue. 

That said your board should have 4 SATA II ports. have you tried other ports? is so what are the results? There is a free benchmark program called ATTO can you download that and post the benchmark results? 

@0fred wrote:

i have the same problem with my Gigabyte M68MT-S2 (AM3+ MB) with nVidia nforce 630a/7025 chipset.

Only Sata 1 spec for Sandisk extrem 120 ssd …

So i update with the last nVidia SATA drivers = no results.

I update last Sandisk firmware (rev 2.01) = nothing change.

My WD HDD caviar green is faster and OK on SATA 2 spec…

So if Sandisk aren’t able to fix it quickly, i return the ssd for it’s bad performances  

The NVIDIA SATA chipsets are infamous for their poor performance and their inability to negotiate SATA II speeds with SSDs. Every SSD manufactures forum contains posts from users with NVIDIA chipsets and their issues with getting only SATA I speeds. This is a well known issue with NVIDIA chipsets and SSDs. Nothing can be done, those chipsets are a poor product and no longer made by NVIDIA, and haven’t been for several years.

You can return your SanDisk Ex and get another SSD, but the result will be the same, the SSD will operate at SATA I speed. This is not a problem with the SanDisk SSD. Your money is better spent on getting a mother board with a good SATA chipset that will function with modern hardware correctly.

Can you even set the SATA mode to AHCI in your BIOS on the NVIDIA chipset? Usually that cannot be done. Yet another reason a SSD won’t perform well on such a system. Does NVIDIA provide a AHCI driver? If you have Windows 7 you could use their AHCI driver, msahci, but it’s doubtful the NVIDIA chipset can operate in AHCI mode.

Hi

Yes, I have the latest drivers called: “nVidia nForce AHCI drivers” and the latest BIOS for my Gigabyte MB (M68MT-S2).

The bios is in ahci mode…

This is the only nVidia nForce on Gigabyte AM3 + socket.

NVidia said that the problem is not with their nForce chipset that meet strict standards SATA II, but the SandForce-2281 in most SSDs currently sold.
For nVidia, it’s not their problem because, with other SSD controllers (anything, but not SF-2281) everything is ok and they fell that the most majority of manufacturers must change the SSD firmware with the SF-2281 … .

I tried hd tune and test w7 benchmark and the ssd on each SATA port…
each time the port is limited by 1.5G SATA 110 MB / s read max and average 98 MB / s.

Sounds like nvidia is passing the buck. I have seen reports with other SSD controllers as well. They most likely are saying that since they no longer make that chipset and do not want to spend resources updating their EOL hardware. That said you are probably best getting a new board like previously suggested.