SanDisk ReadyCache SSD FAQ

SanDisk Ready Cache™ SSD FAQs

Q: What is SanDisk ReadyCache SSD?

The SanDisk ReadyCache SSD resides alongside a desktop computer’s hard disk drive and is compatible with desktop systems running the Windows 7 operating system. When paired with the downloadable ExpressCache software by Condusiv Technologies Corporation, the software’s advanced caching algorithms automatically manage data by caching frequently used files to improve overall storage performance.

Q: How much is performance improved by using SanDisk ReadyCache SSD?

The SanDisk ReadyCache solution enables up to four times faster performance than a stand-alone hard drive. It can boost a computer’s boot, shutdown and application launch times, allowing consumers to enjoy a more responsive computing experience while utilizing their existing hard drive’s storage.

Q: How does the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD compare to SanDisk’s other retail SSDs?

The SanDisk ReadyCache SSD is an “add-on” SSD coupled with ExpressCache software to create a caching solution that allows consumers to boost their desktop computer’s performance without replacing their hard drive.

Q: Which kind of software/controller does SanDisk ReadyCache product use?

The SanDisk ReadyCache SSD is a combination of SanDisk solid state drive technology and advanced ExpressCache caching software from Condusiv Technologies.  SanDisk and Condusiv have formed a strategic relationship to supply optimized caching solutions for the PC market.

Q: What kind of algorithm does SanDisk ReadyCache SSD use?

The ExpressCache software uses an advanced read caching algorithm to ensure that the data your system needs the most is stored on your SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. This greatly improves the responsiveness of your system.  

Q: Which “commonly used files” does the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD automatically cache?

This is greatly dependent on the pattern of the individual system usage. The software combines both a knowledge of key OS files and data structures with an algorithm that actually learns how a user interacts with the PC and stores the data most frequently needed on the highly responsive SSD.

Q: How difficult is it to install SanDisk ReadyCache drives? 

No, the drive is easy to install. Consumers don’t need to replace their hard drive or clone their operating system.

• Open your desktop computer’s case by unscrewing the side panel

• Attach the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to the computer’s motherboard SATA connector via a standard SATA cable

• Replace the side panel on your computer and install the ExpressCache software, then reboot the system three times. Rebooting three times will ensure that the ExpressCache software “learns” and caches the boot sequence.

Q: How many times can the ExpressCache software be activated?

The ExpressCache software can be activated on up to 3 PC’s using the same activation code and SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. The ExpressCache software will only work on a PC that has a SanDisk SanDisk ReadyCache SSD installed. You can reinstall on the same computer an unlimited number of times. 

Q: Does the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD package include everything I need to install the drive? Do I need to purchase any additional components or cables?

A SATA cable is included to connect the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to the motherboard.  Your system must have a 3.5” drive bay. You will use the adapter that is provided to secure the 2.5” SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to the computer. Instructions for downloading and installing the ExpressCache software from SanDisk’s website are included in the box.

Q: Does ExpressCache software work on all storage configuration modes?

ExpressCache software supports common storage configuration modes, such as Legacy, IDE and AHCI.

Q: Can ExpressCache software work when connecting SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to USB adapter?

No. ExpressCache software will not work on removable media.

Q: Can ExpressCache software work with other SanDisk SSDs?

No. ExpressCache software will only work on the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD.

Q: Will ExpressCache software work in a SSD plus SSD environment?

No, ExpressCache software is designed to work in the hybrid mode environment only (HDD OS boot drive + SanDisk ReadyCache SSD). The software uses the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to cache data from the HDD. The speed of the SSD provides overall system performance improvements as you are now able to access commonly used files more quickly.

Q: Why does ExpressCache software display “Valid SSD not detected” error message when the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD is connected to a SATA port on my machine?

The “Valid SSD not detected” error message is displayed if the software cannot detect the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. You can follow the below actions to correct this:

• Check your SATA and power cables to make sure they are connected.
  • Check Disk drives from Device Manager to see if you can find “SanDisk SDSSDRC032G ATA Device”
  • Exit the ExpressCache software from the ExpressCache system tray icon and launch it again. The ExpressCache software will take some time to recognize the SanDisk ReadyCache drive.
  • Check your system BIOS settings to make sure that SATA port which connects with SanDisk ReadyCache SSD is not turned off. (Some systems turn off some SATA ports by default)

Q: How can I verify that ExpressCache software is functioning?

There are two methods to check if ExpressCache software is functioning.

• Launch the application and check the caching status. The status shows “Caching…” and the used portion of Cache size is increasing.
  • Launch the application and click on “?” menu to select “Cache Monitor”. The Cache Read value in the chart indicates the number of megabytes read from the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD since the last system boot. This value will change dynamically when there is system activity.

Q: Can I install ExpressCache software without connecting a SanDisk ReadyCache SSD?

No. ExpressCache software will only work on SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. You must connect the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD in order to install ExpressCache software.  

Q: What does the Cache Monitor chart show in ExpressCache software?

The cache monitor chart indicates the cumulative megabytes read since the last system boot.

It is refreshed automatically every 1/5th of a second.

• The orange line shows the System Read: The cumulative megabytes read from all system hard drives and SSDs since the last system boot.
  • The blue line shows the Cache Read: The cumulative megabytes read from the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD since the last system boot.

Q: Why is the Cache Monitor menu grayed out?

The Cache Monitor menu is grayed out if the caching is disabled. You can manually unselect “Enable Cache” checkbox to disable caching.  If you do not activate the ExpressCache software within 30 days, then the caching will automatically be disabled.  You must enter your activation code to re-enable the ExpressCache software. 

Q: What will happen if I format the SanDisk ReadyCache drive and use it as regular data drive?

If the entire SanDisk ReadyCache SSD is formatted using Microsoft disk manager, then ExpressCache software will not work on this drive. If you launch the ExpressCache software, it will pop up a message “A partition already exists on this drive. In order to use it as a SanDisk ReadyCache drive, you need to delete the current partition and run this application again.” Please make sure that you copy all your data to a safe location before you delete the current partition. After you delete the partition, you need to exit the application from system tray icon and re-launch it. If you create a partition that is smaller than the entire SanDisk ReadyCache SSD capacity, then ExpressCache software will use the remaining space for its caching.

Q: Why does the used portion of cache increase after un-checking the “Enable Caching” button?

Unchecking “Enable Caching” doesn’t disable the caching engine. It only prevents reading from the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. The caching engine continues to cache data to the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD, which is why you see the used portion increasing.

Q: Why is the Cache Read value very low at the beginning and then it increases a few hours later?

It will take time for ExpressCache software to monitor data access and cache the most frequently used data. At the beginning, you will see a small amount of Cache Read because limited data are cached in the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD. A few hours later, more frequently used data are cached in the SanDisk ReadyCache drive, you will see the Cache Read value increasing which indicates performance improvement.

Q: I get the message “Do you want to allow this application to make changes to this computer?” when I launch ExpressCache. Is this normal?

Yes. This is a message from Windows Access Control and is normal if you have your security setting on medium or high. The ExpressCache application does interact with your system for the caching function.

Q: How can I verify that ExpressCache is functioning?

There are two methods to check if ExpressCache is functioning:

1)      Launch the application and check the caching status. The status shows “Caching…” and the used portion of Cache size will increase as you start using more applications.

2)      Launch the application and click on the “?” menu to select “Cache Monitor”. The Cache Read value in the chart indicates the number of megabytes read from the ReadyCache SSD since the last system boot. This value will change dynamically when there is activity reading from the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD.

Q: ExpressCache interface still says ‘Caching…’ and the Space Used green bar is not full. How long will it take to finish Caching?

ExpressCache engine will always be running. This is a continual process as the engine monitors your activity to update items to add into the cache.

The Space Used green bar indicates how much of the SanDisk ReadyCache drive is filled. This is not a cache process complete progress bar, as the process will always be running. It shows the amount of space used on the SanDisk ReadyCache drive.

1 Like

I am considering buying a Sandisk ReadyCache SSD to improve the performance of an Acer Z5610. Is it possible to connect it to the external eSATA port with an Akasa Flexstor eSATA drive adaptor, which would also provide power from a USB port?

This does not work with external eSATA. You would need an available internal SATA port.

_" Will ExpressCache software work in a SSD plus SSD environment? _

No, ExpressCache software is designed to work in the hybrid mode environment only (HDD OS boot drive + SanDisk ReadyCache SSD). The software uses the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD to cache data from the HDD. The speed of the SSD provides overall system performance improvements as you are now able to access commonly used files more quickly."

I am unsure what you are meaning with this answer, I believe you mean that the SSD cannot be used to cache another SSD?

From my understanding ExpressCache is not limited to only caching the system drive (unlike other cometitor software)?  So if I have an SSD system drive, I can add a REadyCache SSD to my system to Accelerate my second hard disk (or in my case RAID volume) which contains additional files, games, program files etc?

Also is it possible to add multiple ReadyCache drives to the same machine to accelerate seperate volumes?

my understanding is that the software is not designed to work in an enviorment where the system drive is an SSD. if they put that in the faq there has to be a reason behind it. I would not assume it would work. 

it also used the entire partition of the readycache ssd and there is no way to configure multiple drives so for your second question I would say No, it is not possible to add multiple readycache ssd to the same machine. 

I bought the ReadyCache not so much to increase speed, but just to prevent wear and tear from the hard drive accessing the same files over and over again on my computer. My concern is that I hibernate my computer most often, I rarely “shut down.” I notice that it caches all of the web pages I have open, and does not automatically erase those files after I’ve closed the internet window. I think that’s a pretty huge flaw.

Because of hibernation, speed increases are marginal, but that would be less of a concern to me if I knew that it was caching more important data. Right now, most of the cache that is being used is likely Facebook pages and youtube videos from last week, so it’s making me wonder if I should return it.

It would be VERY nice if there were a manual “cache this program’s startup files” option, so that this wouldn’t be a problem, and if there were a “delete cached files from this program” like Chrome or Firefox. Just a couple of suggestions, and a big downside to know about for any potential buyers. I hope this is fixed in a future software update.

A few things 

1. There is no way for the user to set specific applications to the cache, It is all based off your usage. Additionally the caching is not file or application based. The way the software works is, the EC driver installes and the EC service monitors usage of LBA’s (logical block address) once the EC service identifies LBA’s used at a high frequency, such as boot files and applications you use every day, these LBA’s will be copied to the RC SSD. Next the EC service will monitor all I/O requests and any future read I/O request for the LBA that are cached are intercepted and directed to the SSD instead of the HDD. 

2. Pages like facebook and youtube are server based. Very little is actually saved on your computer. Everything you see is actually on a server and is coming to your computer via your internet connection. The only thing saved to your computer are a few temp files and these are very, very small. All content on FB is on the server not your computer and youtube videos are steamed via internet not saved to your computer. The only thing that would be cached is your internet browser and that is a relatively small application. You would want your browser cached since the launching of the application would be improved as compared to launching from a HDD. 

There is nothing to be fixed in the software in this regard. I think you are just a little confused as to how the software and computers in general work. 

Hi… I just installed the Readycache ssd and e software but it seems that e caching software is just remaining at 0.07gb throughout… It also seems that e software is pretty slow in loading up when i booted up e win7… The software wouldn’t boot up at times too… I don’t really know what’s happening… I could really appreciate some help… Thanks in advance…

Hi, I already have SanDisk SSD 128GB drive since one month, but it is not ReadyCache, and I have already installed OS there. But, I didn’t see much speed boost over HDD, maybe I have installed something wrong, or I need to update firmware. Can I try to install ReadyCache software on that SSD? If that could work, I should definitely see the improvements over HDD. It would be nice if OS and data I already installed (about 40 GB) could remain intact. Thanks!

@william1980 wrote:

Hi… I just installed the Readycache ssd and e software but it seems that e caching software is just remaining at 0.07gb throughout… It also seems that e software is pretty slow in loading up when i booted up e win7… The software wouldn’t boot up at times too… I don’t really know what’s happening… I could really appreciate some help… Thanks in advance…

are you using bit locker or any other HDD encryption?

@djdane wrote:
Hi, I already have SanDisk SSD 128GB drive since one month, but it is not ReadyCache, and I have already installed OS there. But, I didn’t see much speed boost over HDD, maybe I have installed something wrong, or I need to update firmware. Can I try to install ReadyCache software on that SSD? If that could work, I should definitely see the improvements over HDD. It would be nice if OS and data I already installed (about 40 GB) could remain intact. Thanks!

No the expresscache software cant be installed for the product you have. You should post this question in the SanDisk SSD board. That said you will need to post your PC specs i.e. the SATA chipset and benchmark results so we can determin if you are seeing the correct speed.  

Thanks, that was helpful for me.

I dun believe so…

26,00GB … 27,00GB, …    What do you think ?

Decreasing performance ?

Manual Clearing Cache needed ?

It seems to me that XP mode (Seven pro 64)  is faulty ?

I don’t worry, but only to know before the BSOD … (I joke !!!)

I can confirm the cache works fine when the boot system drive is an SSD.

It was specified somewhere the SSDs are automatically excluded from caching, anyway I always excplictly exclude them via command line.

I have two PC both with SSD system drive:

1. Crucial 128GB + 3x2TB SATA

2. Sandisk Extreme 480GB + 1x2TB SATA + ARECA RAID5 Array 4X750GB

Caching is working fine on both, also on ARECA RAID array (at least last time I checked).

Are there any issues with Express Cache conflicting with Windows 8.1?

I have Win 8.1 and do not have any issues. 

Do you happen to know if the exclude command just has to be specified once per drive I do not wish to cache? In other words, it’s not something I have to append to the launch parameters of the software, correct?

Just run once and done?

Once you exclude a partition, you don’t need to run that command again, as it stays excluded after the next reboot. 

It’s probably only required if you update or reinstall the readycache software, or forcefully reset exclusions (eccmd -clearexclusions).

Periodicaly you can check it’s exclusion status by doing the command exclude command again on the target drive. It’ll pop an “error 0x5 (5)” when a drive is already excluded.

i reformat my Asus S550c win8 to win7 and the express cache doesnt function.

U100.jpg

i did try to install express cache v 1.0.1, and type ECCmd -info, it didn’t show any caching information. i tried uninstall it and download version 1.3.2 from sandisk ,it show me can’t find sandisk express cache device. please help . tq.

Can't find device.jpg