My SSD Hard Disk freezes intermittently.

hey that guys, don’t say such boring things ,It’s the end of the world , I have to feel it even shopping online,there is an rebate website tell me : please prepared foodstuffs and various household supplies before you landing the ark ,here :discountark dot com

wow guys,

great news!

Based on the link a few posts back, I found some reg settings that control the LPM and AHCI settings.
After changing them to 2, and a reboot, the problem hasn’t come back for half an hour using intensive 70mbit usenet.

solid 6,9mbyte/s while parring rarring and extracting.

see my screenshots below:

Hey mate,

Not sure if this is still a problem for you but I’ve got 2 potential fixes for freezing on your mac.

a) do a clean intall, directly duplicating the disk from one drive to another will not get you the bet speeds. For mac I’d ay the best way would be to do a time machine backup (or another incremental backup program) then do a fresh install of your latest version of OSX and restore the data/apps you need from that

b) someone further down mentioned Nvidia issues… that should only be a problem if you have incompatible RAM for sharing with the Video card… I grabbed some generic DDR3 ram for my MBP and it would crash as soon as the Nvidia card was used for anything 3D but would work fine for the desktop so long as the Intel video card was being used

My notebook is an Acer 3820TG and I have been experiencing random freeze-ups since I installed the SanDisk Extreme 120G :confounded:

I have tried to set the HIPM to active according to drlucky’s link. After setting it to active, it worked, but after the notebook is restarted, it returned back to original setting. For some reason unknown to me, the new setting is not saved in the sysem.

Anyone can offer any help ?

Thanks very much !

I just bought a brand new Sandisk 256GB Ultra Plus with latest firmware (X211200). I had the same very problem you guys have.

I followed instructions in this thread and managed to disable HIPM/DIPM by installing the .reg file and setting “Active” in all power profiles, as described in this thread:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

I have a Samsung NC110 (NP-NC110).

I hope this helps. Anyway, this is the last time I buy a Sandisk product, at least until they manage to release updated firmwares for their products.

Hi there,

I have a similar problem running Win8. Also, my computer is a desktop and it freezes completely which means when it does it will not resume no matter how long I wait.

I was running Win7 for a while upgraded to Win8 and there have been no issues with the computer (drive?) until yesterday. I didn’t do any hardware/software changes before I started having the problem. To be fair it might have frozen a few times in the past but it was never a consistent problem nor did it happen on regular basis. I am assuming it’s a hard drive issur because every time I try to test the disk with either HDTune or chkdsk it freezes immediately. Also every time it does the HDD LED stays on all the time. I deleted some files so now I have almost 40% of the drive free so lack of space shouldn’t be an issue here. Also, as the problem occurred when browsing the web using the Firefox I uninstalled it as I thought that maybe there were some corrupted files. No luck. Also, Sandisk Test utility hasn’t reported any problems and the computer boots up with no issues.

I will do some hardware troubleshooting later (checking the cables, power supply etc) and update the drive firmware but the problem is that this is my main hard drive which has an OS installed on it so I will probably have limited options here. Can you recommend anything specific I should do to isolate the problem or recommend some diagnostic software?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just a little follow-up. After updating the firmware on both my ASUS mobo and the hard drive the situation improved a bit. I’ve noticed no freezes since yesterday and was able to run chkds on my drive which fixed some errors and didn’t freeze. Also I was able to run an HDTune test which reported some bad sectors but at least it didn’t freeze this time either.

There are still some problems though. I get a “read error” when trying to run HDTune speed test and it never finishes. Also, I got a similar error when backing up my system using Windows backup which terminated at the end of the process reporting some read errors.

Any ideas? Do you think moving the system to a different volume, formatting the Sandisk drive and them moving it back could improve the situation?

@czajunia wrote:

Just a little follow-up. After updating the firmware on both my ASUS mobo and the hard drive the situation improved a bit. I’ve noticed no freezes since yesterday and was able to run chkds on my drive which fixed some errors and didn’t freeze. Also I was able to run an HDTune test which reported some bad sectors but at least it didn’t freeze this time either.

There are still some problems though. I get a “read error” when trying to run HDTune speed test and it never finishes. Also, I got a similar error when backing up my system using Windows backup which terminated at the end of the process reporting some read errors.

Any ideas? Do you think moving the system to a different volume, formatting the Sandisk drive and them moving it back could improve the situation?

well.

I’m going to reinstall this weekend, started completely freezing on me too, AGAIN.
sigh. Using the windows on my WD 750gb drive its no problem. I need to find out if its a windows or SSD issue.

I’d recommend a reinstall instead of moving it around. Full format isn’t the way to go for flash based disks, as they dont have magnetic sectors, as far as i know, but i might be mistaken. I believe garbage collection is auto cleans the disks if you place an empty partition on the disk. (again, _not_ sure).

As you can imagine I am not an SSD expert either. :slight_smile:

I thought about moving the system back and forth simply because I still assume it’s a hard drive issue rather than Windows. Also, I don’t think formatting will fix the drive as such but my idea was that maybe when I copy the system back to the dirve the files will be written avoiding faulty memory cells if there are any. Dunno if this makes sense and whether it will work or not. I may just give it a go first as I don’t feel like re-installing all my apps. 

Any solution for this problem?

I bought a ssd extreme 240 GB and i have the same problem.

If I speak with ssd support change the ssd?

Thanks

Update: After trying everything on this forum without lasting results I turned to RMA and have very good experiences with SanDisk Tech Support. Got a brand new one that hasn’t frozen in the last week.

I have a 480GB (sdssdx480gg25) and it too is freezing intermittently. This never happened when I had a mechanical HDD in the notebook. 

Sometimes it doesn’t freeze at all for weeks, then suddenly for a day or so it freezes every 15-30 minutes. When it freezes the HDD LED lights up and stays on constantly, I can still move the mouse and interact with apps, but as soon as I launch a program or do something else that causes a data read from the SSD, Windows itself then freezes while it waits for the IO read command to complete, the mouse still moves but clicks are totally unresponsive. At this point I force the power off and reboot. Boot speed is fine and everything is great until it freezes again. Rinse and repeat.

I tried setting HIPM and DIPM to active on the current power profile, no luck.

I also tried disabling USB Selective Suspend and PCI Express sleep, no luck.

I ran CHKDSK on the volumes, no errors found.

I have the latest firmware R211.

I’m a PC technician so I know what I’m doing, I can’t think of anything else to try. 

I’ve seen other brands of SSD’s freeze like this on specific hardware but I’m not sure if they had the same controller.

Through trial and error I’m convinced it is a problem or compatibility issue with the SSD.

I will try updating the SATA driver but I doubt it would make any difference. It seems hardware/firmware related. I’ll report back if the SATA driver resolves the problem.

System:

Toshiba Qosmio F60 latest BIOS (non UEFI, SATA Mode=AHCI)

Core i7 (Calpella Series 5 chipset, SATA II)

Win8 pro (fresh install)

nVidia GeForce GT330M w/driver 136.97

Latest BSOD’s since I’ve had the SSD installed which may be related:

0x00000133 NTFS.SYS (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

0x00000133 hal.dll (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

0x0000009F ntoskrnl.exe (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE)

Again, I never ran into these problems when I had the 750GB Hard Disk. Perhaps a Sandisk technician could test the SSD on one of our affected notebook models in an attempt to replicate the problem.

Update: installing the latest Intel Rapid Start driver didn’t help.

I also tried reconnecting the SATA connection thinking it may be a bad connection, no luck.

Problem solved…

The freeze happens exactly 15 minutes after Windows 8 loads, so there must be some kind of 15 minute power saving feature that is causing the problem. I’ve disabled all the power saving features I could find and even installed the iRST SATA Driver with it’s own registry setting to disable HIPM/DIPM on Physical Disk 0, still no luck.

I have Windows 7 and 8 dual boot, I’m using Windows 7 now and it is 100% stable, no more freezing :slight_smile:

hm this means your problem is completely different from mine. I am om windows 7.

My Windows 7 installation is the factory image shipped with the notebook 3 years ago, Service Pack 1 is not installed and no KB’s have been installed so there is a possibility that a KB update (for example an update supporting new SSD features/commands) may be causing the problem, which may explain why the freezing is happening in Win8 which would have all those Win7 KB’s preinstalled.

Might be a long shot but perhaps it may be worth while testing a fresh install of Win7 non-SP1 with Windows Update disabled.

Well it happened again in Windows 7, not much else I can do except sell the SSD and buy another one that doesn’t use the sandforce sf-2281 controller.

Hi,

I post in this thread to help people in solving this problem.

I say that, but I hope mines are solved.

So, this is my story:

1. I bought a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB

2. I installed it in my computer and inserted Win7 DVD

3. The SDD was not found by Win7 installation DVD

4. I reboot on my old HDD and it was still not recognized

5. After a few research, I found that I had to initialize and create a partition on the SSD from the disk management tool

6. After that I retried Win7 installation on the SDD

7. This time SSD was found but only after pressing the “refresh” (or something like that) button

8. Installation was fine and fast

9. After installation, Win7 didn’t want to boot.

10. Problem was the AHCI that was not enabled in my BIOS

11. After enabling it, it was ok

But, after that, I started to have mouse bugs. Sometimes my mouse had a wrong pointer and pointer was altered (green, red, blue).

Also I had freezes. The only solution was to reboot.

I tried to update all drivers and BIOS without success.

I finally looked on the web and I quickly saw that freezing problem is very popular.

Several methods seem helping to resolve these bugs.

I used the following way to solve my problem:

My SDD is plugged on port 0 of my motherboard (P8H61 PRO) that is managed by an ASMedia controller. So, method that consists in editing these keys doesn’t work:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

I finally used the trick explained here that consists in disabling the low power operation mode (Both HIPM and DIPM):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

(Refer to the end of the article in order to add “AHCI Link Power Management-HIPM/DIPM” to advanced power settings)

What I wanted to say is that this trick seems to work, at least during the last 10 hours.

Note:

A last advice for people like me that enabled AHCI after Windows installation: don’t forget to check that your Windows:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Finally:

I’m hope my bugs are totally solved. If it’s not the case, I will ask help from SanDisk gurus.

@+

Hi,

I post in this thread to help people in solving this problem.

I say that, but I hope mines are solved.

So, this is my story:

1. I bought a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB

2. I installed it in my computer and inserted Win7 DVD

3. The SDD was not found by Win7 installation DVD

4. I reboot on my old HDD and it was still not recognized

5. After a few research, I found that I had to initialize and create a partition on the SSD from the disk management tool

6. After that I retried Win7 installation on the SDD

7. This time SSD was found but only after pressing the “refresh” (or something like that) button

8. Installation was fine and fast

9. After installation, Win7 didn’t want to boot.

10. Problem was the AHCI that was not enabled in my BIOS

11. After enabling it, it was ok

But, after that, I started to have mouse bugs. Sometimes my mouse had a wrong pointer and pointer was altered (green, red, blue).

Also I had freezes. The only solution was to reboot.

I tried to update all drivers and BIOS without success.

I finally looked on the web and I quickly saw that freezing problem is very popular.

Several methods seem helping to resolve these bugs.

I used the following way to solve my problem:

My SDD is plugged on SATA III port 0 of my motherboard (P8H61 PRO). SATA III is managed by an ASMedia controller. So, method that consists in editing the configuration of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver through this registry key doesn’t work since my SATA controller is not an Intel one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

I finally used the trick explained here that consists in disabling the low power operation mode (Both HIPM and DIPM) from Windows power options:

(Refer to the end of the article in order to add “AHCI Link Power Management-HIPM/DIPM” to advanced power settings)

What I wanted to say in this post is that this trick seems to work, at least during last 10 hours.

Note:

A last advice for people like me that enabled AHCI after Windows installation: don’t forget to check that your Windows uses AHCI:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Finally:

I hope my bugs are totally solved. If it’s not the case, I will ask help from SanDisk gurus.

@+

Bad news…

I just had a new freeze… and it was different than previous ones.

In fact, this time just after freezing, computer shutted down and fan ran very fastly.

(HDD (SSD) led was not set on during freeze).

So, I decided to reinstall my Windows.

During previous Windows installation, AHCi wasn’t enabled in the BIOS. During the first boot, I had a blue screen and it was not possible to boot. After research, enabling AHCI allowed to boot correctly.

Maybe my freezes come from this fact (Windows installtion without AHCI enabled)