SanDisk User

Re: How is ExpressCache 1.3.2 working?

Good information NWguy.  I don't have the issues you talk about related to using an imaging program since I have a Server 2012 Essentials server backing up my PC.

But, I have been running my drive at 18gb.  I just had a cache reset.  I am going to trying setting it to 16gb aka 16,384KB to see if that works better.

I can't believe it's been 6 months and Sandisk hasn't released and update for ExpressCache.  I think they are done supporting it.  I guess the next PC I build I will have to pony up for a 512GB or 1TB ssd.  Maybe in the next year or two those sizes will be affordable.

[ Edited ]

Just got the message for a cache reset and thought I'd write down what it said: 

"The cache has been reset. The Expresscache software does this as a precaution if the cache is found to be out of sync with the primary drive. This can be caused by an unexpected power loss, ungraceful forced system shut down, Windows update, or several other reasons. The cache will rebuild itself automatically."

Also, thought I'd join the bandwagon in saying "Yes the reset happens to me too." I've repartitioned the drive to 16 GBs and I still got this message. Smiley Indifferent

What's worse is that I think that the Expresscache program is causing my sound card to randomly drop noise processes, making it sound like an old skipping record. 1.3.1 was great, and still is on another PC that's using it (-Never- updating that one! lol). Why can't we just get a link to the 1.3.1 software? I have an old 1.0.1 file, but it doesn't perform as great as post 1.2.1.

Anyways, thanks for all of the tests and communications going on here; I hope to see the issues resolved soon.

SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

@NWGuy wrote:

AlleyViper, I'm noticing the boot delay and what my feeble memory says are cache operation slowdown as I approach 28Gb.   I'd like to try reducing my cache partition size as you show above, but I want to make sure I get the syntax right as I've gotten used to GUI partitioning utilities.

For comparison, here is a method slotmonsta posted in the "ReadyCache ssd hangs on startup" thread to make an 8k partition:

1) From the command line: ECCmd -format (this will clear the information out of the cache) 
2) Delete the partition (this is done from the Disk Management pain by right clicking on the drive and selecting "delete" the partition 
3) From the command line: ECCmd -partition (drive number) 8192 (this will create a partition of 8GB in size) 
4) From the command line: ECCmd -format (this will format the new partition and make it ready for EC/RC to utilize)

So:   eccmd -partition requires a drive number, but eccmd -format does not?

Thnaks for helping someone who started with 8" floppys but hasn't used the command line in years and doesn't want to partition or format their hard drive!.

Yea  thanks for the commenads, I 've been watching my system just drag when the cache is full, watching perf monitor its like I don't have any cache/ssd running, its just single digit reads all day long.

I will try 23GB partition

Its a bit weird because express cache only shows the total cache size rather than the partition size...

@NWGuy wrote:

Thanks very much AlleyViper!   Your explanations give me the confidence to give this a try.

Unexpectedly, when I examind my original cache partition it showed the starting offseet as 2048.   I'd always heard to start at 4096 (or multiples) to get a 4k alignment  ?? 

I was researching SSD partitioning and ran into the following: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292105-32-best-format-partition-performance-wear-leveling#6100306 .  One thing they say is that trying to use more than 80% of the allocated space on an SSD will result in performance issues.   Well, 0.8 x 29 GB = 23.2 GB -- that number looks familiar!     Maybe these full cache slowdowns are just symptoms of a normal ssd issue of needing at least 20% slack space, and reducing the cache partition size is the actual fix and not just a work-around..

Yea at this point I think they might have created a flawed product from the get go Smiley Sad

Though its weird because ssd performance degredation should occur with writes, not reads when full...

Btw anyone know what FDMap1.dat files are in the express cache programdata directory?  In my fustration I tried deleting them to more clean clear my cache and everything else possible.  But it seems those files are protected and reappear instantly when the service is restartedSmiley Tongue

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

So annoyed, I'm pretty sure it got slow as it hit near the 23GB partition capacity, system lags, general feeling of system slower than even without a cache drive.

dropping to 18GB partition...

we aren't getting the product we paid for..Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

Same issue here re cache resets.

Seems to be linked to two different things:

1.)  System memory may be less than optimum as system uses a 48-bit Intel memory chip.  What this means is that even tho the system runs Win 7 64-bit just fine, it is a transition system board in migration between 32-bit and true 64-bit operation.  So it cannot see 4.0 GB RAM when it is installed, but 3.25 GB RAM.  It currenlty is running 3.0 GB RAM in the two slots available.

When running properly, it will display 768 MB RAM in use and 6121 Blocks in use by ReadyCache (see above) and when not, 0 MB in use and 0 Blocks in use in the case of a cache reset.  Otherwise, memory in use will vary from 768 MB RAM and 6121 Blocks in use to as low as 512 MB RAM and 4096 Blocks in use depending on what type of scanning program has just run.

2.)  I've seen a cache reset be triggered by manually running a Secunia PSI scanning session; 0 MB in use and 0 Blocks in use at the end of the scan.  When this happens, the system will revert to normal prior unenhanced operation, with the usual old system data displayed in the Task Manager Performance window.  It will take up to 60 minutes for these numbers to change back to the way they were before the crash when this occurs as ExpressCache recovers.

I"ve been monitoring ReadyCache performance for some time now using cmd as admin and using the eccmd -info command and capturing the resulting scan results.  I've  copy/pasted these scans into over 50+ different notepad files, each saved as UTF-8 format and pointedly have run this system over at least a two day period between reboots. 

(These files are grouped by the name of the pc and # number total reboots the system has seen since the Sandisk ReadyCache SSD has been installed.)

IMO:

There has to be a way to exclude a/v scanners, antimalware scanners, and other scanning programs (like a disk imaging program)  from the ReadyCache installation as running these scans always negatively impact the proper operation of the Sandisk ReadyCache SSD, and can even cause it to crash temporarily.  Home use is different from enterprise use; one of these differences is that business users do not scan their systems on a regular basis, if at all.  IT staff will step in only if a user complains about a system issue when requested.  As it seems as if ExpressCache software is still geared to enterprise usage and scenarios, Sandisk may want to look into how home usage of their product differs.

If this option were to be put in place in the next oem ExpressCache version, implementing this option should be a workaround that works on this system and others, as it should rarely run into the SSD maximum space and LBA limitations as it now seems to do.

I may even put this data into an Excel spreadsheet.

Administrator

Hello mchain,

Thank you for the very thorough feedback. I will pass this along to the ExpressCache team. Would you be willing to share the notepad files and other logs that you have gathered? This may help the development team find a solution for this issue. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Certainly.  

Just point the way on how to do it.  Expect files very soon after you answer.  

Administrator

Hi mchain,

I have sent you a Private message.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Replied but am having issues via PM re Dropbox.