How is ExpressCache 1.3.2 working?

@nwguy wrote:

AlleyViper, I’m noticing the boot delay and what my feeble memory says are cache operation slowdown as I approach 28Gb.   I’d like to try reducing my cache partition size as you show above, but I want to make sure I get the syntax right as I’ve gotten used to GUI partitioning utilities.

For comparison, here is a method slotmonsta posted in the “ReadyCache ssd hangs on startup” thread to make an 8k partition:

1. From the command line: ECCmd -format (this will clear the information out of the cache) 
  2. Delete the partition (this is done from the Disk Management pain by right clicking on the drive and selecting “delete” the partition 
  3. From the command line: ECCmd -partition (drive number) 8192 (this will create a partition of 8GB in size) 
  4. From the command line: ECCmd -format (this will format the new partition and make it ready for EC/RC to utilize)

So:   eccmd -partition requires a drive number, but eccmd -format does not?

Thnaks for helping someone who started with 8" floppys but hasn’t used the command line in years and doesn’t want to partition or format their hard drive!.

Yea  thanks for the commenads, I 've been watching my system just drag when the cache is full, watching perf monitor its like I don’t have any cache/ssd running, its just single digit reads all day long.

I will try 23GB partition

Its a bit weird because express cache only shows the total cache size rather than the partition size…

@nwguy wrote:

Thanks very much AlleyViper!   Your explanations give me the confidence to give this a try.

Unexpectedly, when I examind my original cache partition it showed the starting offseet as 2048.   I’d always heard to start at 4096 (or multiples) to get a 4k alignment  ?? 

I was researching SSD partitioning and ran into the following: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292105-32-best-format-partition-performance-wear-leveling#6100306 .  One thing they say is that trying to use more than 80% of the allocated space on an SSD will result in performance issues.   Well, 0.8 x 29 GB = 23.2 GB – that number looks familiar!     Maybe these full cache slowdowns are just symptoms of a normal ssd issue of needing at least 20% slack space, and reducing the cache partition size is the actual fix and not just a work-around…

Yea at this point I think they might have created a flawed product from the get go :frowning:

Though its weird because ssd performance degredation should occur with writes, not reads when full…

Btw anyone know what FDMap1.dat files are in the express cache programdata directory?  In my fustration I tried deleting them to more clean clear my cache and everything else possible.  But it seems those files are protected and reappear instantly when the service is restarted:P