Bluescreen when installing Win7 in AHCI mode

@drlucky wrote:

The first thing you should do it try different SATA cables and SATA ports. Try again and see if you have the same issue. 

If the issue is persitant we need to know if the BSOD is hapening during installation or after reboot. If it happens during installation it could be a memeory issue. To test for that you can search for MEMTEST 86 and test the memory. If after restart it could be a storage issue. 

In the case the BSOD happens after reboot we should try a secure erase and reinstall. you can search for HDD erase and use that to secure erase the drive. Once erased reinstall and see if the issue continues.

I have tried SATA ports 6 and 1 with the same results with different data cables. No memory issues (tested 8 gigs).

The BSOD flow:

1. start Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 installation from DVD in AHCI mode
  2. wait for the installation to proceed until the very first reboot is required
  3. reboot the computer as requested, no problem here
  4. Win7 installation continues with message “Completing installation …” in “Install Windows screen”
  5. after a short while there is BSOD as described.

If I use IDE mode, I can pass this phase. It appears that the BSOD happens as device initialization phase, as the HDD led flashes once per second and in IDE mode my screens get swapped that does not happen in the BSOD flow.

By googling this issue I found MS Fixit 50470 that will turn on msahci after Win7 installation in IDE mode. I ran it, changed to AHCI in BIOS and it works now. Thus I assume that secure erase would not make any change.

Now when the computer goes to sleep by itself and I start it up again, I’m presented with the same F4 0x00…03 BSOD every time. Once I even was able to log in to desktop (took ~5 seconds) before it happened. If you need memory dumps or such, I can provide those. My system is not fully setup yet, so I can reproduce the issue if needed.