2TB Extreme Portable not providing accurate storage readings

Just for a 2TB Extreme Portable USB-C device, reformatted for NTFS / 4096 file allocation size on my Windows PC.  Properties show a single partition with slightly more than 1.8TB of available space - no other files at this time.  Copied 1.1TB of data and when complete I’m seeing the drive as almost full with 18.6GB remaining - when I should have close to 700GB remaining.  Have included screenshot below to show the 1.1TB total (right side) and the 1.8TB of total free space, which is showing full even though only 1.1TB is on drive.  Is drive formatted properly?  4096 is a fairly common allocation size / none of my files is under 1MB (i.e.  I don’t have tons of small files).  Most files are higher resolution photographs.

You know, it’s a well-known problem for many years. And what I think, the trusted company like sandisk should respect themselves and create some kind of explainer videos (or animation) where they will explain everything about these “little things”. Cause these “little things” mean a lot for users, right? When our company has some communicative problems with our users, we always contact with DarVideo (these guys: https://darvideo.tv/), and ask them to create video for this or that specific field of business. It helps a lot, I have to say.

And what I think, the trusted company like sandisk should respect themselves and create some kind of explainer videos (or animation) where they will explain everything about these “little things”. Cause these “little things” mean a lot for users, right? When our company has some

@britany wrote:

And what I think, the trusted company like sandisk should r  [audacity temp mail origin](audacity temp mail origin ) espect themselves and create some kind of explainer videos (or animation) where they will explain everything about these “little things”. Cause these “little things” mean a lot for users, right? When our company has some

? When our company has some

I have the same problem. Just bought the 2TB SSD and uploaded 500GB of info. 

The SSD shows that I have used 1.2TB! More than double of what I used.

I use Mac and cannot format to NTFS. Need to keep the exfat.

I will return this product, if Sandisk cannot find a solution at the next days.

mcdvoice wrote:

You know, it’s a well-known problem for many years. And what I think, the trusted company like sandisk should respect themselves and create some kind of explainer videos (or animation) where they will explain everything about these “little things”. Cause these “little things” mean a lot for users, right? When our company has some communicative problems with our users, we always contact with DarVideo (these guys: https://darvideo.tv/), and ask them to create video for this or that specific field of business. It helps a lot, I have to say.

Thank you for the information and advice!

Thank you for your posting, after reviewing this thread and a few others on this forum regarding SanDisk not honoring their warranty, I will return my new 2TB unit that only shows 465GB in Windows 10 to Amazon. I believe that it is not correctly labeled, since the case shows 2TB clearly and the box as well, but a 500GB unit would only show a capacity of 465GB. What a disappointment, I will avoid SanDisk in the future.

so just to update this old post - eventually Sandisk got back to me - you’ve got to format NTFS with “default allocation size” as the format type - then it works fine.