You can use a 64 GB MicroSD card with many 1000's of songs on the Clip Sport

I just bought one. Sound quality is superb – maybe even better than with the Zip (still not sure if it’s any different, though).

My solution for the shuffle play issue: I put all files in a single «Music» folder on the external microSDXC card (internal card is left empty). It works. :smiley: And since I use shuffle play almost exclusively anyway…

Hey, I just realized that I’ve forgotten to reformat the new SDXC card to FAT32. But obviously it doesn’t matter for the Sport!

Another thing I noticed: The Sport’s headphone output has much more power (or at least gain) than the predecessors. :stuck_out_tongue:

@jazz wrote:

Hey, I just realized that I’ve forgotten to reformat the new SDXC card to FAT32. But obviously it doesn’t matter for the Sport!

Interesting–thanks for the info.!

Certainly an effect of the limited SDXC compatibility: Reactions to commands are slow, and there are pauses of 2 (normal) up to 10 seconds between the tracks, accompanied by a pair of fine clicks. Would FAT32 cure this?

Searching for a title among the 5800 files in the «Music» folder is unacceptable, the more so as scrolling within the list is extremely slow and halting. So in the present configuration the Sport is a pure shuffle-play device.

@jazz wrote:

Searching for a title among the 5800 files in the «Music» folder is unacceptable, the more so as scrolling within the list is extremely slow and halting.

You do know don’t you, that the database limitation on the Sport (with the latest firmware update) is only 2000 tracks for the interanl and 2000 tracks for the external memory card AND they are not merged, right?

Yes – I wasn’t speaking of the «Music» menu, but the «Music» folder on the SDXC card, accessed through the «Folder» menu.

@jazz wrote:

Yes – I wasn’t speaking of the «Music» menu, but the «Music» folder on the SDXC card, accessed through the «Folder» menu.

Should be the same, regardless of display mode.

Perhaps I’m not following the train of thought, but one advantage of the folder view, according to various posters if I recall correctly, is that the database numerical limits do not apply–one can make full use of a megacard, in that regard.

@miikerman wrote:

Perhaps I’m not following the train of thought, but one advantage of the folder view, according to various posters if I recall correctly, is that the database numerical limits do not apply–one can make full use of a megacard, in that regard.

Yes, that’s what I’m experiencing. NYC2 is right in this respect: The folder mode allows to make use of the full card content, with the downside of a shuffle play limited to the folder of the selected song and slow reactions to commands. So far 64 GB is just enough for my MP3 collection (5896 songs), but I’m considering a 128 GB card for the future. Hopefully it won’t slow down the player functions any more. (Without the 64 GB card it behaves normally.)

Good to have the based-on-use reports!

Have not experienced the slow reaction times you speak about.  

As mentioned in a previous post, I did get some file sorting weirdness after editing the names of folders.  Reindexing did not fix it.  A reformat cured this and the player has worked fine for a few weeks of 3hr+ a day use. 

You might try a reformat if you have the patience. 

@nyc2 wrote:

Have not experienced the slow reaction times you speak about.  

As mentioned in a previous post, I did get some file sorting weirdness after editing the names of folders.  Reindexing did not fix it.  A reformat cured this and the player has worked fine for a few weeks of 3hr+ a day use. 

You might try a reformat if you have the patience. 

Yes, I think that’s what I’m going to do. Note that it’s still ExFat formatted (because I forgot the Fat32 thing). I just have to get access to a Mac the next days or delegate it to a friend with one.

So I took the second (already FAT32 formatted) SDXC card out of my Sansa Clip+, erased it and copied a copy of the «Music» folder without subfolders from my computer to it.

Result: not perfect, but much better. Skipping is fast now, and there are virtually no gaps between tracks (in shuffle mode). Still waking up the screen takes about four seconds, after that the down-button menu appears with a two-second delay, but from then on it’s fast as used from Clip+ and Zip, except for the last step of the return button to get back from the «Folder» screen to the playback screen, which again takes almost four seconds. All in all a nice improvement, and I can absolutely live with the now performance.

Well, for some reason waking up the screen is clearly faster now…