YAPL 0.3 released

http://paul.dunn.googlepages.com/YAPLv0.3.zip 

I’ve put up another version of YAPL. It’s getting much better now, and only needs a few more features before I consider it finished.

YAPL is primarily a playlist creator. One of the most annoying aspects of using the Fuze is that firstly, if you want to create truly versatile playlists that can access both drives on the fuze, you need to use MTP mode which generally is a pain to use and requires most users to have some interaction with Windows Media Player. Secondly, the method of creating such a playlist in MSC mode is quite involved and may scare casual computer users off. 

MSC mode treats your Fuze as a new drive on your PC, and getting new music on is simply a case of dropping the files in from Windows explorer. It’s better than MTP mode. 

So I wrote YAPL, which gets the playlist creating job done with minimum fuss in MSC Mode. Give it a try, and let me know how you get on.

New for this release is drag and drop support internally - you can re-arrange playlists by dragging items around the list, and you can add to it by dragging files from the main file list to the playlist. This took some doing, but seems to work. I’ve also added Fuze auto-detection. It works for me, but I have no idea if it will work for you - so I need feedback on that too. It should just work, but you never know with these things.

Feedback will be nice - let me know what else this thing needs to do.

Cheers,

D.

Message Edited by Dunny on 08-24-2009 02:32 PM

Great program!  I love the way it finds everything even in MSC mode… I have a 2Gb Fuze and 8Gb memory ant it found all my music

If I could impose… any chance you could add track # to the list and have album sort subsort by track?  I prefer to create playlists in track order, and I dont always know what that is just seeing the track names

Thanks again

Tim

Message Edited by timn on 08-24-2009 03:45 PM

As it just so happens, I’m working on MP3/Ogg/Flac tag editing and I’ve realised that Track numbering is important - so it’s going in as I type :slight_smile:

Any suggestions as to how to automatically tag files with the correct track numbers? I can always let the user do it, but it would be nice to be able to get this done without user intervention if possible.

D.

MY GOD!!! This is one heck of a software.Not only me but all the users Thank you for this amazing Software.What you, ssorgatem and ewelot are doing is truly amazing.All of us want to thank you for your time spent on these,and truly appreciate it.Hope you can finish YAPL soon and take it outta BETA! But i have a suggestion for YAPL!I am also a MSC mode user but there are many out there who preffer MTP mode.So what im suggesting is the support for playlists in MTP mode.I have no idea whether this is possible :smileyvery-happy:.But i know people would greatly appreciate it if you could add support for MTP.And OH! Isn’t WMA audio Files supported In YAPL?If it Isn’t can you please add it to the suggestions list?Cause i really need it!

Thank you so much for all the amazing features.You guys have just revolutionized the Sansa Fuze! 

Thanks,

SR 

Message Edited by SR-rox on 08-24-2009 08:17 PM

@sr_rox wrote:

MY GOD!!! This is one heck of a software.Not only me but all the users Thank you for this amazing Software.What you, ssorgatem and ewelot are doing is truly amazing.All of us want to thank you for your time spent on these,and truly appreciate it.Hope you can finish YAPL soon and take it outta BETA! But i have a suggestion for YAPL!I am also a MSC mode user but there are many out there who preffer MTP mode.So what im suggesting is the support for playlists in MTP mode.I have no idea whether this is possible :smileyvery-happy:.But i know people would greatly appreciate it if you could add support for MTP.And OH! Isn’t WMA audio Files supported In YAPL?If it Isn’t can you please add it to the suggestions list?Cause i really need it!

Wow, thanks for the comments! Makes it all worthwhile :slight_smile:

Anyhow, yes - WMA should be supported - if your WMA files do not show up (and they have to have been added in MSC mode, as they may not show up if they were synched using MTP) then let me know. If you can provide a downloadable link to a file that isn’t recognised then that will help. If you can’t upload one somewhere then email will be fine - paul<dot>dunn<at>gmail<dot>com (I’m sure you know how to reconstruct from that!)

I’ll look at MTP mode, certainly - it’s on my list after batch tag editing and MSC synchronising.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

D.

I just made a Playlist on my Sansa Fuze.I am truly stunned on how easy and succesful it really is.I had no problem throughout the process.No problem with any files not showing up.No problems with WMA,MP3 files.Thank you so much for this.You’ve made my DAY!

Thanks again,

SR 

All this sounds way too complicated and far too much messing around, why does the fuze firmware just not let you create playlists from the fuze, is that so difficult too implement?

Of course it isnt my DAP Jukebox used to let me do that all those years ago!

Other than track numbers already in the MP3 tag (somehow, magically)

I usually rip (Cd’s I own of course) adding the track number to the filename. So in the directory the filenames are usually 01-trackname  02-trackname.  What I like about that is that playing the music in filename order plays the tracks in order. Then many ID3 tag editors let me parse the filename into the tags. For example I would specify that the filenames were <tracknum>-<trackname> and it would modify the ID3 tags to those

So to answer your question, if the tracknumbers are not in the ID3 tag you could try sorting by filenames rather than the track names and show both in the playlist  … you already allow the reordering of the playlist by drag/drop… the user just needs whatever info you can give them. If I saw the filenames and they had the track numbers in them I could reorder them easily.