Write protected usb drive

Hello, I have a 128GB SanDisk flash drive. After leaving it downloading overnight, I found that it had switched off from the write mode on its own. I’ve attempted to disable the write protection using various programs, but have been unsuccessful. One program even warned me that the drive may be physically damaged. I’m seeking assistance to resolve this issue. Thank you.
images

hi @frankrayan To remove the write protection, simply open your Start menu, and click on Run. Type in regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor. Double-click the WriteProtect key located in the right side pane and set the value to 0.

hi @frankrayan you can check this video and see if that can help you!

Hello frankRayan.
It sounds like you’re encountering a frustrating issue with your SanDisk flash drive. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially fix the problem:

• Check for physical write protection switch: Some flash drives have a physical switch on the side that can enable or disable write protection. Make sure this switch is in the correct position for writing data.
  • Try a different USB port or computer: Sometimes, the issue might be related to the USB port or the computer itself. Try plugging the flash drive into a different USB port or connecting it to another computer to see if the issue persists.
  • Use diskpart utility (Windows): You can try using the diskpart utility in Windows to manually remove the write protection. Here’s how:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type diskpart and press Enter.
    • Type list disk and press Enter to display all connected disks.
    • Identify your SanDisk flash drive based on its size.
    • Type select disk X (replace X with the number corresponding to your flash drive) and press Enter.
    • Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.
    • Close Command Prompt and check if the issue is resolved.
  • Check for errors and repair: Use the built-in Windows tool, Check Disk (chkdsk), to scan and repair any errors on the flash drive. Here’s how:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type chkdsk X: /f and press Enter (replace X with the drive letter assigned to your flash drive).
    • Allow the scan to complete and follow any on-screen instructions.
    • Once done, check if the write protection issue is resolved.
  • Update drivers and firmware: Sometimes, updating the drivers or firmware for your flash drive can resolve compatibility issues. Check the SanDisk website for any available updates for your specific model.
  • Contact SanDisk support: If none of the above steps work, it’s possible that there may be a hardware issue with the flash drive. Contact SanDisk customer support for further assistance, especially if the drive is still under warranty.

Remember to back up any important data on the flash drive before attempting any troubleshooting steps, as they may involve formatting or modifying the drive, which could result in data loss.