Won't play music anymore! Volume maxed out?

Okay! my mp3 player has been playing music fine for a while, its suffered some un-intentional damage,  b ut it has been fine for months, however yesterday just as i stepped out the door. Suddenly the Volume MAXED OUT completly, and so i stopped the song. And it wouldn’t turn back down, So i sleep it and then try to play music again, and NO sound comes out at all. and the volume is still at Max. I’ve tried to reset and erase, And i’ve tried the Sansa Connect recovery thing.  Nothing is working. the volume Continually says its Max. and no music plays at all.

only thing i’ve done that did something was to mess with pressing the volume button alot, and the  menu button, causing the volume to go to half, be adjustable for about 1/2 a second then it goes back to maxed out(i wasnt trying to play music at the time so i don’t know if music was able to be heard when this happened). I need help.

If you’ve run the recovery software, my guess is that your player is damaged physically (even if unintentionally :wink:

thanks for the reply, however i feel this isnt so likely(even though you may be right), mainly because if its physical damage, why is it that playing around with menu quickly sets it back to 50% volume(before almost instantly bugging out again), insteadof gradually lowering the volume (e.g. like if the volume button was permanently pressed in or something) also having the player freak out and go max volume, ive at least heard of in 1 case also on this website over a different problem.

However the person just returned their’s before getting a proper answer. if i could just buy a new one i would but i am in england my mum got it for me while i was in america, and don’t know if i can get a new one. but i haven’t actually looked yet, i want to hold onto the one my mum got me, even if my friend messed it up.

also~ i f it really is physical damage, and it can’t play music anymore while its messed up like this, i might as well try to open it up and fumble around inside. but i am unsure of how to open it without smashing it…

Message Edited by facelessRed on 12-16-2007 07:07 AM

My guess again is that there’s some kind of feedback from the (damaged) hardware that’s interacting with the firmware.  It’s possible that there was a problem with the hardware originally, but it’s difficult or impossible to tell whether it’s one or the other.  My point is that if there’s a problem with the hardware, it might show up in the way that the firmware behaves.

Also, if the problem was in the firmware, the recovery tool should have fixed it.

The other case you mentioned was probably mine, but it was strictly with the base station.  The Sansa works flawlessly in stand alone, WiFi, and USB via PC or power.

Ok, onto your problem:
Reset?  Was it the Factory Reset?
You mentioned sleep, after the Reset did you reboot the Sansa (hold power button for 20 seconds)?
What are your audio settings?
You could try turning off the speaker, set the EQ to normal, and lowering the sound effects(the default is 75%).

If I’m not mistaken, there are only 4 options to fully recover the Sansa:
-Factory Reset
-Upgrade the Firmware
-Reboot the Sansa
-Reboot PC and run the Recovery Tool.
–I only had to run this once, but other people have had to run this a couple of times.

Message Edited by Trac on 12-16-2007 12:01 PM

Yes it was you’re problem trac, and also i have reset it in every possible way except updating the firmware. Im just gonna have to say its just part of my horrible luck. thanks for all you’re help guys. :cry:

Deleted!  Incorrect Info

Message Edited by Trac on 12-16-2007 01:22 PM

Message Edited by Trac on 12-18-2007 06:31 PM

facelessRed wrote:

Yes it was you’re problem trac, and also i have reset it in every possible way except updating the firmware. Im just gonna have to say its just part of my horrible luck. thanks for all you’re help guys. :cry:

You said you used the Sansa Connect Recovery tool, right?  If so, you got the latest firmware.

Trac, the firmware updater you linked in your post does NOT work for the Sansa Connect.  That application was never meant for the Sansa Connect and doesn’t state so under the list of supported devices.

-ML

Music Legend is correct, the Sansa Updater will not install firmware on the Sansa Connect. Connect firmware is updated automatically via WiFi.

If you ran Connect Recovery Tool twice and the problem with volume control running to full isn’t fixed, then you probably got defect in the hardware. Be sure you got Connect Recovery Tool from http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1619

music_legend wrote:

Trac, the firmware updater you linked in your post does NOT work for the Sansa Connect.  That application was never meant for the Sansa Connect and doesn’t state so under the list of supported devices.

-ML

My Bad,

The link was supplied with the Base Station and tech support suggested I try it.  Since most people are able to succefully use it with the Connect I thought it might help.  The SansaUpdaterInstall did recognize the Connect, but that does not necessarily mean it is compatible.

I deleted the link.

:o