Women in their 30s dating men 50 and over?

This seems to have been much more common in the past. So many single women seem to be very resistant to dating much older men. Many women won’t even consider dating a man who is more than 5 years older than she is.

One of my friends is 50 and wants marriage and children. He is having trouble finding a nice woman who is young enough to have children. I advised him to look for a divorced woman who has a child or two and who wants more children.

Do you think he is being unreasonable? Is a 50 year old man too old to become a father for the first time?

@jk98 wrote:

This seems to have been much more common in the past. So many single women seem to be very resistant to dating much older men. Many women won’t even consider dating a man who is more than 5 years older than she is.

One of my friends is 50 and wants marriage and children. He is having trouble finding a nice woman who is young enough to have children. I advised him to look for a divorced woman who has a child or two and who wants more children.

Do you think he is being unreasonable? Is a 50 year old man too old to become a father for the first time?

I guess it would depend on how well he’s taken care of himself over the years. In this era of the “cougar”, I think women wouldn’t want to feel like they were dating someone that could be their father. So if your friend is in good shape, and looks/feels/acts younger than his chronological age, he’d have a better chance.

@jk98 wrote:

Generally, yes; but there are exceptions.  I think I have some room to talk because I am 53 and my wife is 27…but I’m no cradle robber.  I wasn’t looking for a younger woman, it just happened naturally.  We met at work, where many a romance has started.  I don’t know if was because of luck (bad) or whatever, but my wife can’t have children due to a female medical issue…but we are both fine with it.  We have no desire to adopt or have any remorse that kids aren’t in the cards for us.  We are both kids at heart, so we are probably too immature to have children of our own anyway…:smileyvery-happy:

But, it can work.  My brother re-married very late in life (he is 9 years my senior) and his new wife and he have 2 beautiful kids.

Bottom line:  There are no rules when it comes to relationships and romance.  If both parties are willing to work at it, almost any scenario can work.

“Generally, yes; but there are exceptions. I think I have some room to talk because I am 53 and my wife is 27…”

Wow! Are you in the UK? It seems like women marrying much older men is much more common in Europe than in the US.

@jk98 wrote:

“Generally, yes; but there are exceptions. I think I have some room to talk because I am 53 and my wife is 27…”

Wow! Are you in the UK? It seems like women marrying much older men is much more common in Europe than in the US.

Never heard that one before, but I’m based in the US.

They’re not married, but my mother has been dating an older man for several years now. She’s 58 (doesn’t look it though),  and I think he is 71. And this is here in the U.S.

@jk98 wrote:

Aside from finding the willing mate, consider that it’s a responsibility that goes out 20+ years (esp if more than one kid). Will he still be up for that in his 70’s?  

An online acquaintance of 53 is doing the same sort of search.  His tactic is to shave ~10 years off his age, thereby establishing that the first qualification for the mother of his future children is being ok with getting lied to.

I don’t lie about my age, however my friend does. Lying about his age will get some first dates, but it won’t get him anything more than that. It seems that many women not only don’t need a man, but don’t seem to want one. There are many women having children with the use of a sperm bank.

Im 21… but here is my thought. I have Dated girls as much as 17 years older (I was 18 she was 35) but never more than 4 years younger. I prescribe to the concept that Age is nothing but a number. I can stick with that because as of right now Kids are not something I care about. I dont particularly want them but Im not against the idea either so thats not something I look at. My current girlfriend is a 26 year old widow with a 28 month old son. She and I are seemingly kindred spirits but only time will tell. All I know is when I met her I felt something different than with other girlfriends. So I suppose if you find somebody who makes you really happy who cares how young or old you are? Im pretty sure you dont even need to speak the same language if its really the one.