WMA Files transferred properly....not playing...Help please!

I have transferred (dragged and dropped) about 2200 files to my Fuze, some to the sd external card, some to the player itself. A good portion of those songs, all WMA files, (MP3’s work fine) show up on my player, artwork, titles …everything, but when I select them to play they show zero time as the duration, the player goes into pause mode, and skips to the next track. When I pull up my Fuze playlist on the computer and click on a song to play, it plays perfectly fine on my Windows Media Player. That tells me that the files transfered successfully, but for some reason or another, will not play on the Fuze even though it clearly states that it plays WMA files.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, any suggestions???

Thanks,

Chen 

p.s. I’ve tried to delete the tracks from the Fuze and re-drag-n-drop them from my external hard drive into the Fuze to no avail. Please help me if you can.

Message Edited by LuChinChen on 05-05-2010 07:24 AM

Are you sure that they’re just regular WMA’s, and not WMA Pro or WMA Lossless? And did you uncheck the copy protection box when you ripped them?

Not sure if I unchecked the copy protection box, but a lot of them work, and I did the same thing with all. I used the rip software that came with the Vista program on my computer. It wasn’t the WMP, so I don’t know that it could make those other types of files. I’m not the most well versed in computers but I didn’t change settings in between rips so they should all be the same, and if one doesn’t play, they all shouldn’t, besides the MP3’s.

Get the GSpot Codec Appliance

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

and see what the file is.

The Fuze is behaving as if it is a WMA Pro or Lossless file, not basic .wma. 

What is the file size? WMA should be under 2 MB per minute of music. Pro or lossless will be larger. 

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Get the GSpot Codec Appliance

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

and see what the file is.

The Fuze is behaving as if it is a WMA Pro or Lossless file, not basic .wma. 

What is the file size? WMA should be under 2 MB per minute of music. Pro or lossless will be larger. 

That all depends on what settings you use. When I got my Clip+, the prior owner left some tunes on it (accidentally, I’m sure) :dizzy_face: and many of the albums had bitrates ranging from 300-405kbps…the highest quality level setting in WMA VBR.

To just say "WMA should  be under  2 MB per minute of music " is a generalization that’s not always correct. :smiley:

@black_rectangle wrote:

Pro and standard are very similar formats, and should generally have the same file size when used for CD audio or audio books.

Sorry, lossless will be larger. Pro maybe not. But if the OP was using default settings, then under 2MB per minute is a reasonable estimate.

Ah missed the ‘lossless’.  Those will be bigger as you said.  However, I think your first suggestion of gspot (assuming it works on ASF, never tried) is the way to go, since pro files will look like std from the file size.

I checked the rip settings on the WMP and on my other ripper and neither one is set to WMApro or lossless…they are both standard.

I am almost ready to return this to get an ipod. It’s kind of aggravating, and this one was actually recommended to me by the salesperson 

at Best Buy even though I wanted an Ipod. Weird. This is actually my second one. I had to return the first one because it kept freezing for hours

everythime the media was refreshing. Then it was showing that the sd card was filled even though there were at least 3 out of the 4 gigs not filled

yet.  

Before I return this, is there anyone else who might have a solution? It took me a while to hand pick all of the songs on this thing and I don’t

want to start from scratch.  Is there an internal setting I can change??  Something??

Thanks,

Lu 

@luchinchen wrote:

I checked the rip settings on the WMP and on my other ripper and neither one is set to WMApro or lossless…they are both standard.

I am almost ready to return this to get an ipod. It’s kind of aggravating, and this one was actually recommended to me by the salesperson 

at Best Buy even though I wanted an Ipod. 

If you get an ipod you definitely won’t be able to play those files.  Apple isn’t so big on MS’s formats.

The Fuze plays standard .wma files. Check out your problem ones in Gspot.  It has to be a problem with the encoding.  You are better off changing your rip settings to .mp3  (and for good quality, 192 kbps or above).

Or take it back and get an iPod if you want:

Total .wma incompatibility.

No voice recorder. 

No microSD slot.

Inferior sound quality. 

Lsss $$ left over. 

On the other hand, you get cute Apple design, iTunes interface (though you should rip in .mp3 rather than .m4a)  and the pleasures of joining the herd mentality. 

Ok, I appreciate the help. I tried the gspot test and found they were encoded with lossless. That being said, I’d have to re-rip 1000 cds to get all the songs up to speed…is there a shortcut or a way to get this to read the lossless files?  Maybe change the encoding or is that permanent? It doesn’t make sense that some used lossless and some didn’t …if I have any other options please let me know. I re-typed every song title and changed the properties of every song on every cd I ripped. This is months of work that I’d rather not repeat.

Thanks again,

Lu the Frustrated Music Fiend 

The unit won’t read lossless, but since your computer can, it should be able to convert them and retain the tags. 

You will have to convert them, getting new files (in addition to the old lossless ones). But you should be able to convert a bunch at a time. 

Look through Windows Media Player help–it should be able to do that if you put the songs in its library.  But I’m not a WMP expert.

I’m not sure whether the free Media Coder converter will do it–it lists wma among its lossy but not lossless. 

Another converter is dbpoweramp. It is now a pay program, but you can see if the old free version can help.

http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/Audio-Video/dBpowerAmp.html

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 05-06-2010 08:52 PM

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. I copied all of the songs from my fuze to my desktop and ran each one through the gspot to see which were lossless,then ran each one through WMA to MP3 converter Jodix for free. I kept all of the WMAs I could and converted the loss less to MP3 and replaced them in my fuze. Everything reads fine now so I’m all set and glad I decided to check this forum for help. Much easier than a tech line where you wait on hold all day and have language barriers to deal with.  Thanks again!!