Wishlist

>>>I had a little Express that did that - it was inexpensive but it did what I needed it to do - until my DOG ate it!<<<<

Now when you tell your dog to “sing”, he really does!

With regards to resume - the last two firmware updates addressed this issue for both .mp3 files and .wma files.  It has worked just fine for me in both cases since i updated the firmware.

/ali

For me:

• add capability to increase tempo speed (most players i know have this)
  • browse by filename not id3 tags (already mentioned)

I have one wish for this player:

1. Keep it simple.

Is there really a need for a clock or calendar?  Do we really need to be able to label things (the clip doesn’t have a keyboard)?  Things like this seem to create more bugs and problems without adding any real functionality.

On second thought, there are a few things I would like to see.

1. Ogg support
  2. A play queue
    While playing, be able to browse the library and add a song to the queue.  After the current song is finished, the player will start playing out of the queue.  Once the queue is empty, it will return back to its previous play selection.
  3. The low volume bug fixed
    I can’t wait for the firmware update.

Otherwise I am happy with my Clip.  Good job, Sandisk.  Products like this as well as the support and community around them make me happy to be a Sandisk stockholder.  :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Also put down my vote for this one, previously mentioned:
4) Play previous song when on shuffle. Just back-arrow twice (rather than forward), and instead of a new random song get the previous one. I’ve often listened to a song and wanted to hear it again or check its name, and couldn’t because shuffling lost it.

Message Edited by justinjstark on 01-20-2008 07:38 PM

justinjstark wrote:

I have one wish for this player:

1. Keep it simple.

Is there really a need for a clock or calendar?  Do we really need to be able to label things (the clip doesn’t have a keyboard)?  Things like this seem to create more bugs and problems without adding any real functionality.

Amen!!! I’m so sick of everything these days being over-burdened with tons of frills. Look at cell phones- they do practically anytthing one can imagine- play music, take pictures, access the internet…everything that is, except make clear, well-connected phone calls! (Gave mine up years ago, and I’ll never go back!)

The Clip has the right idea: Do the one thing it’s designed to do…and do it well. And that it does.

There may be people who want multifunction devices…and that’s fine- but there are already enough multi-function devices on the market. There is no need to duplicate some or all of the functions that these other devices do. I mean, really- what’s the point of so many devices all duplicating what every other device does? People that want multifunction all-in-one gadgets, like the iPhone…buy them- and they have no need of other products that duplicate those functions. And for those of us who just want a quality mp3 player, that does one thing, and one thing well…the Clip fits our bill perfectly. Perhaps that is why ther Clip is becoming so popular.

When I see that products contain too many features that I deem useless or un-necessary, I avoid them. Heh…the Clip already has one too many features: The FM radio! But I can see where at least that’s just a matter of offering something that some people may want (Although I dont know why anyone would want it…with a whole library of mp3 files at ones fingertips, who wants to listen to the crummy radio?!)

In response to the above, I’m one of those people who appreciates having the FM radio–it offers me a handy (and small) option to the CDs I have on the Clip, and lets me record the news at work for later listening, on the way home.  It is truly desired and appreciated (and in my experience, works well).

Other upgrade features desired?

1.  Folder view–the absolutely easiest way to go.

2.  Improved volume range, especially on the soft end.

3.  Multiple bookmark capability–truly needed and for audiobooks.

4.  Elimination of the always-on “Connected” screen message for something more discreet (perhaps a small indicator every 10 seconds), and that doesn’t eat the screen.

5.  Fixing of ID3 tag issues (and shuffles issues as well?).

6.  Further screen information; most specifically, song length.

7.  Faster screen scroll speed (or at least an option to choose that)–it’s painful right now.  (I’d also prefer album and song info. foremost, rather than artist, but that’s me and my music.)

Not a playlist guy here, so I’m easy.

:wink:

Wow!, Miikerman, I’d say you nailed the most important issues right on the head- and I think most of us could heartily agree with them all.

And I might add to my rant above: The voice recorder is one extra that I truly appreciate! I wouldn’t buy an MP3 player without that feature. (One-button record would be a nice upgrade…)

Thanks and oops, that reminded me:

8.  Recording into MP3, rather than space-guzzling WAV files.  (And agreed as to 1-touch recording–how about the center button as the on/off switch?)

While I agree 100% about keeping the clip (or any device) simple and true to it’s intended purpose, I think the FM radio is an appropriate feature as well.  At my gym, there are banks of TV’s and the audio for each screen is broadcast on an FM frequency.  I can use my Clip to hear the audio from the news as I’m working out.  The clip, to me, is an “audio device” and things like FM fit into that description quite nicely.

Just my opinion - I’m sure we’ve all got one :wink:

Interesting post–hadn’t considered the separate idea of the Clip as FM receiver apart from to receive standard FM broadcasting stations.  This raises other opportunities as well, as you mention.

I do have one more thing to add.  It has been mentioned several times but I want to add my vote for it.

1. Let the display turn off when connected to the computer.

I am used to coming home at night and plugging the device into my computer so it can charge and be ready in the morning.  Not only is the bright animated display annoying in my dark room at night, it will also wear the screen out faster.  Does the screen really need to be on at all when it’s connected?  Why not just say “connected” when first plugged in and then go blank?  Maybe when you start writing files to it it can wake up and display “writing” so you know not to unplug it but once it’s done writing it should go blank again.  At least set an option in the menu for this functionality.

And I do also appreciate the FM radio.  It’s very nice not having to drag around a whole other device to listen to the radio.  Honestly, I wish it supported AM as well so I could listen to the local baseball games and news radio.

Edit: And one more

1. Be able to add songs to the go list without having to play them.

This was mentioned in an earlier thread as well and it would be fanstastic.  While browsing songs, if I could hold down the center button and add the song to the go list without having to play it, that would rock.

Message Edited by justinjstark on 01-21-2008 02:14 PM

i love my little clip, but these things would be great:

1.  folder view: 1-2 gigs really isnt enough space to go through that album/artist stuff…

1. that “connected” screen is really unneccesary… id rather have it go blank after showing “connected” for a second or two

thaanks :]

Item at the top of my list: Increment playcount on the Clip when a song is played.  That would make my MediaMonkey “haven’t heard yet” auto-playlist really useful, especially given that I practically never listen to my music at my PC.  :smiley:

In any case … Sandisk, you guys are great.  I can’t believe how responsive you are to the wishes and needs of the Sansa community.

Auto power down in radio mode when paused (muted).

As discussed elsewhere, turn OFF the display altogether after a few seconds when connected / charging, and use the ring LED to indicate charging status.

Here’s my list:

1. Internal state data                   

When we start asking for things like playcounts, We’re really asking for   
some sort of internal database with song state info from the clip.  I would
like to add my favorites: be able to read out the go list and song ratings.
I want this to work in MSC mode, too, so it needs to be in a file that can
be read. Something with the filename and it’s state info for every file on
there. And document the format.

MTP seems to cause a fair amount of grief.  Why would anyone buy DRM’d music
anymore, anyway.

That for which I ask may not be trivial for Sansa engineers.

I’ve been working on a randomizer playlist function that could really use
playcounts.  Fill the device, into a folder called random, while swapping
files from a master playlist on the host, with no dups on the clip, but I
digress…

1. Playlist handling improvements

I also would like to see the m3u playlists support more flexible filenames.
Right now, a playlist cannot access up the filesystem tree and must be in
the MUSIC directory to be able to access all songs. “…” in a filename doesn’t
work.  And make some absolute pathname format available.

1. Charge indicator

I really like the idea of using the LED for charging status.  It would be
nice if the LED were used when charging from an A/C adapter, too.

1. OGG support

OGG would be nice, and it’s a shame they draw more power to decode, Still, it
would be nice to play those I have.  I get really good playtime with mp3s.  I am
only guessing, but it seems that OGG (and wma) must take more cycles and
the cpu idles low power between blocks or filling a buffer or whatever they do
inside.

1. Center button operation

I would like to be able to use the center button to play/pause, like my
shuffle does.  I ski with my shuffle, instead of my clip, because of that;
it is easier to operate through my ski coat.

1. Fix data loss when upgrading.

Don’t throw away settings on a firmware upgrade.  Where did my radio presets
go.  And my go list!  Ratings.  USB mode.  Power off time. All lost when I
upgraded to .20. And last timee, too. If bookmarks and playcounts are added,
don’t lose those, either.     

All in all, I think the clip is darned well designed little toy and I like
it!

Robert

rwuest wrote:

Here’s my list:

1. Internal state data                   

When we start asking for things like playcounts, We’re really asking for   
some sort of internal database with song state info from the clip.  I would
like to add my favorites: be able to read out the go list and song ratings.
I want this to work in MSC mode, too, so it needs to be in a file that can
be read. Something with the filename and it’s state info for every file on
there. And document the format.

MTP seems to cause a fair amount of grief.  Why would anyone buy DRM’d music
anymore, anyway.

That for which I ask may not be trivial for Sansa engineers.

For what it’s worth … the conventional Internet wisdom is that no Sansa players track playcounts, but I just discovered today that my Sansa Connect does.  :slight_smile:

Guys- C’mon…how much can they do with 2 Gigs, without taking up half the space that we use to store our music?

Cllipman wrote:

Guys- C’mon…how much can they do with 2 Gigs, without taking up half the space that we use to store our music?

Heh, I was just thinking about that a short time ago … like how many bytes does it take to implement Ogg support in firmware?  Of course, not being a DAP firmware engineer, I don’t know.  I guess we could look at other DAPs that have these features and 2GB memory …

To rwuest’s number 6:

It could be worse, on the Cowon iaudio D2 they get every file deleted on the entire unit every time they update the firmware! 

I do like having a playcount and doubt that it would take up much memory.  It could probably be embedded in the ID3 Tag.  I don’t like to pick and choose songs I like for a playlist and it would be cool to set parameters on your GoList.  As an example, add any song to my go list that I’ve listened to at least 10 times.  Or only add songs to the GoList that I’ve never listened to.  The list would then shrink and I would eventually know when I had heard to all the music on the player.

OGG