Windoze 7, lol

I LOVE the taskbar. take a look:

Btw, you know how you want to transfer files from folder to folder, the two folder screens when open stick to the sides so half of the screen is 1 folder and the other half is another. Genious eh? 

Message Edited by NissanSkyline on 08-11-2009 08:05 AM

@nissanskyline wrote:

Btw, you know how you want to transfer files from folder to folder, the two folder screens when open stick to the sides so half of the screen is 1 folder and the other half is another. Genious eh? 

Oh yeah . . . that’s genius all right! I doubt if anybody could ever figure out how to drag & drop files from one window to another without this priceless feature.

You know what really is genius? When you’re composing a message here on the forum, in the upper right portion of the editing pane, there’s a Check Spelling button.

Not naming any names, but _ that’s _ something a lot of people could (and should) use! :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

Me too, exactly! I could do more more with Windows 3.11 with it’s associated apps like Word 6 & Excel 5 than I can with the newer OS and programs. Heck, I even designed some ad copy & sales flyers with Windows Publisher.

And it didn’t crash or freeze up on me hardly ever. XP isn’t bad, but it could still be better. Certainly, it the best since and like you, I’ll use it as long as I can. It’s currently the best game in town (MS-speaking). :wink:

Interesting… so you are an office fan too!

@marqck wrote:

guy, we are getting off topic here… the discussion is about the windoze 7! oh wait, this is the off-topic discussion :smileyvery-happy:

anyway, just want to tell you all that i love this new windoze 7. i install it on an aspire one with atom 1.6 GHz and 512 and i am still get to use the aero.

bad thing is, its 7GB.  i only have 1GB left from the built-in 8GB SSD.  maybe that is why it’s called windoze 7 because it will take 7GB drive space. lol

So that makes it safe to install it on my Hp 2133 right? i’m dying to get something that has windows Aero and does’nt peg my processor at 100. LOL:smileyvery-happy:

Well, 7 was officially released today. I’ll have to wait until near Christmas to experience it, when I get my new computer,though. Should be quite an experience…I never have used a Vista machine, so I’ll be going from an old, slow, XP SP3 machine to a current, fast, 64-bit Win7 Ultimate system (with eight times the RAM of my old one) . I’ve been very happy with XP over this last year, but since it won’t be supported forever, I decided to go for the newest system.

Now, I just have to be patient.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Well, 7 was officially released today. I’ll have to wait until near Christmas to experience it, when I get my new computer,though. Should be quite an experience…I never have used a Vista machine, so I’ll be going from an old, slow, XP SP3 machine to a current, fast, 64-bit Win7 Ultimate system (with eight times the RAM of my old one) . I’ve been very happy with XP over this last year, but since it won’t be supported forever, I decided to go for the newest system.

Now, I just have to be patient.:wink:

Don’t get your hopes up too much… Vista and 7 are OK, but nothing to get overly excited about; they are just operating systems, after all.  I’ve got a pretty fast new machine myself, but I don’t find my normal everyday work progressing any faster than before.  It’s more about the “eye candy” than anything else.

Thinking back; while they weren’t the most user friendly in the world, the old DOS-only machines seemed the fastest at actual work with the programs of the day.

I disagree that it is ALL about eye candy. In fact, I think Vista with it’s Dream Scene content was MUCH prettier.

My pretty old system with Vista on it ran good. I set it up in my basement, splliced a cable TV line down there, and installed a tuner.

Tried and tried to get Media Center running. I even bought a signal amplifier. All Media Center told me was “no signal available”. Over and over.

Gave up.

Installed 7 on top of Vista.

Ran Media Center. Went to tuner config > scan > PICTURE!

Nothing changed on this box except the OS. But it feels like I upraded the ram, and installed a new video card.

Everything runs better then it did on Vista.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 10-22-2009 03:02 PM

@peregrine wrote:

I disagree that it is ALL about eye candy. In fact, I think Vista with it’s Dream Scene content was MUCH prettier.

My pretty old system with Vista on it ran good. I set it up in my basement, splliced a cable TV line down there, and installed a tuner.

Tried and tried to get Media Center running. I even bought a signal amplifier. All Media Center told me was “no signal available”. Over and over.

Gave up.

Installed 7 on top of Vista.

Ran Media Center. Went to tuner config > scan > PICTURE!

Nothing changed on this box except the OS. But it feels like I upraded the ram, and installed a new video card.

Everything runs better then it did on Vista.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 10-22-2009 03:02 PM

Well, if I want to look at something pretty; I don’t run to my computer.  It’s all about tasks for me.  The computer is a tool to get things done; nothing more-nothing less.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/burger-king-selling-a-windows-7-whopper-in-japan/

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 10-23-2009 01:58 PM

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/burger-king-selling-a-windows-7-whopper-in-japan/

All it’s missing is the BACON. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHhWX205bY&feature=player_embedded

I ve been nagging my dad for my birthday present for a long time. I asked him for windows 7 and he said maybe. Well today i was nagging him again and he sais he bought me a present. So I have high hopes for windows 7 cause my netbook’s running a little slower since 7 came out.

@sansafinder wrote:
I ve been nagging my dad for my birthday present for a long time. I asked him for windows 7 and he said maybe. Well today i was nagging him again and he sais he bought me a present. So I have high hopes for windows 7 cause my netbook’s running a little slower since 7 came out.

Yeah . . . there’s nothing that will make a perfectly good computer run slow than having an updated OS come out for it, is there? :smileyvery-happy:

What I was trying to say is after experiencing 7 my vista netbook seems slower. And the present was one of those little ping pong tables. Its not windows 7 but I like it just the same.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHhWX205bY&feature=player_embedded

It says the first 30 people get the sandwich. It costs 777 yen of $7.77.

@nissanskyline wrote:

It says the first 30 people get the sandwich. It costs 777 yen of $7.77.

The conversion rate isn’t exactly 1 yen = 1 US penny

777.00 JPY = 8.49259 USD

1 JPY = 0.0109300 USD   1 USD = 91.4915 JPY

Still, 8 & half bucks isn’t bad for what appears to be almost 2 pounds of meat.

Still needs bacon, though. :smileyvery-happy:

Which notebook company offers back up operating systems with their products?

@sansafinder wrote:

I’m sure others offer the same deal, but I know for a fact that Dell will let you have a complete install disk of the operating system; for about a $10 surcharge.

Every release of Windows seems to have the description: 

“The new Windows is stable and secure.  This time we mean it!”

I remember the pre-release hype for windows 2000.  Bill Gates boasted they had a computer that had been running 4 days straight without rebooting!  About that time I my unix box at work had been running nearly a year, and my Linux PC at home routinely ran weeks at a time (with shutdowns being voluntary :stuck_out_tongue: )

@sansafinder wrote:

Backup as in a recovery disk, or as in a different OS in case the first one doesn’t work out?

My first laptop back in '95 came with Windows 3.something and OS/2.  You could run multiple copies of Windows under OS/2. 

Most I’ve seen with recovery disks, using it restores the computer to “like new”… files and programs added since are lost and need to be reinstalled /recovered from backup.