Windows / Ubuntu File view problem

Hello;

We recently bought a Sansa Clip 2GB with FM radio in Europe for our daughter. I set it up on my WinXP SP3 machine and put some music on for her, updated to the newest firmware 1.0.29F I think it is.

When she plugs it into her notebook with Ubuntu 8.04 it shows up on the desktop and opens the file viewer but shows nothing in the Music folder even though there is music there and it shows up in Windows. Anything I can do to get it to show on both machines or will we have to pick on or the other for adding / removing content from the MP3 player?

Best;

Craig

Files added to the Clip in MTP mode are not visible in MSC mode, & vise versa. Linux uses MSC mode, but windows uses MTP mode by default. Delete the files from the Clip using your windows computer, set the Clip to MSC mode, then copy/paste the files to the Clip again(assuming they’re still on the computer). To set the Clip to MSC mode, press the home button, & go to the settings menu using the arrow buttons. Select “usb mode”, then choose MSC.

Message Edited by Sasafrass452 on 06-08-2008 09:25 AM

Hi Sasafrass452;

Thanks for the quick reply and fix for my problem. All is good now after following your instructions.

Best;
Craig

I read on another user feedback site that upgrading the firmware locked the Sansa into MTP mode and the device became useless in linux.  Is that true?  Perhaps the user just didn’t know how to change to default setting.

@linuxuser wrote:

I read on another user feedback site that upgrading the firmware locked the Sansa into MTP mode and the device became useless in linux.  Is that true?  Perhaps the user just didn’t know how to change to default setting.

No, it’s not true.  I have a Clip and a Fuze, both with the latest FW and I exclusively use MSC mode.