Windows Media Sync

If I use Windows Media to Sync my Sansa zip will it delete songs that are already loaded if they are no longer on my computer would appreciate any help or pointers

Yes.

That’s one of the main reasons I’ve always said “sync stinks”. Drag & drop (or copy & paste) is a much better method of transferring content to your player.

Before using any program to sync, one needs to read/check the sync settings, to make sure the sync works as one would like it to (or change the settings, if that’s possible).

@miikerman wrote:

Before using any program to sync, one needs to read/check the sync settings, to make sure the sync works as one would like it to (or change the settings, if that’s possible).

Absolutely. But to further explain to the OP . . . the main premise of “syncing” is to synchronize the portable player to the computer. If the files are removed from the computer after syncing to the player, the next time you plug the player into the computer, your syncing program (WMP usually) is not going to find those files on the computer any more, and therefore will (pursuant to its prime directive) delete those files on the player.

I discovered this the hard way way back when. Thinking syncing was the easiest (for the n00b that I was) way of getting music onto my newly acquired toy, I ripped a bunch of CD’s with WMP and then synced them to my player. Having the hard copy (the CD disc) I figured why take up space on my hard drive storing the rips? I had the CD’s, I could always re-rip if needed. So I deleted them and got a big surprise the next time I plugged my player in and opened WMP. Wasn’t counting on spending the time re-ripping those CD’s quite so soon. :dizzy_face:

Thanks to all of you this is exactly what I wanted to know allowing me to learn from someone elses mistakes which I appreciate

Windows Media is an odd duck, to be sure.  I prefer having control over what’s on the computer, and  what’s on the device.  This is why I dropped using Automatic Sync several years ago, opting instead to manually sync files with all of my Sansas.

Running with a handful of devices, it would be a royal headache as the computer constantly wrestles with each individual machine.  The key to happiness is to end the automatic sync “partnerships” with the computer, by deselecting Auto Sync or “Set Up Sync”.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: