Windows Media Player don't like me no mo!

Newbie here. Haven’t had any problems up to now. But… all of a sudden Windows Media Player … and my computer in general don’t show that my Fuze is hooked up to the computer when it is (open up Explore and no your Sansa Fuse or portable media device … nada, nothing! Can anyone help me with this?

Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and try both of the available modes, MTP (best with Windows Media Player) and MSC (the generic USB connection).

Your Windows Media Player version has to be 10 or higher. A factory Windows XP installation has WMP 9, not high enough.

And it could be the cord. Can you borrow one? Replacements are cheap on eBay, Amazon, etc. It has to be a Sansa Fuze (or Sansa E200) cord, not an iPod cord, which will fry the Fuze.

What happens, exactly when you try to connect? Do you recieve any errors? Does your computer make that “hey, you just inserted something” sound? Does the device show up in your device manager? You should try borrowing another computer (With WMP 10 or higher installed), and see if your Fuze connects to that okay.

If so, the problem is your computer. In this case, you could see what happens if you try to re-install WMP, and see if that helps.

If, however, your Fuze does not connect to anohter computer, your problem may be your Fuze. Try putting the device in MSC mode, and re-install the Firmware. That might Help.

Thanks for replying to my question. Okay, embarassing as it may be, I don’t know where to go to select the suggestions you offered. Also, the cord I’m using still charges the Fuze; does that matter as to it’s serviceability? Before when I would drop and drag stuff from my WMP the face of the Fuze would light up  and say Connecting or Writing, but nothing now. When I go to sync whatever is in the column of WMP to the Fuze I get a message box to the effect that WMP no longer detects that there is a device and I should disconnect and retry the sync  process. To no avail… I have WMP 10 and Windows XP. Hope my low level of information doesn’t create insurmountable complexity to the remedy process? Thanks

@stratmo wrote:

Also, the cord I’m using still charges the Fuze; does that matter as to it’s serviceability? Before when I would drop and drag stuff from my WMP the face of the Fuze would light up  and say Connecting or Writing, but nothing now. When I go to sync whatever is in the column of WMP to the Fuze I get a message box to the effect that WMP no longer detects that there is a device and I should disconnect and retry the sync  process. To no avail… I have WMP 10 and Windows XP. Hope my low level of information doesn’t create insurmountable complexity to the remedy process? Thanks

You’ve just posted the bit of information that is central to your problem.  Black-Rectangle has already given you the solution – it’s the cord. 

The cord has separate pins for data and for charging.  If you can charge, but not connect, then the data pin(s) in the cord has become damaged.  If the fuze has any trouble connecting to a computer, it’ll stop the charging process.  This is to protect the battery from being overcharged and possibly causing damage. 

That is great. I’ll get a new cord and report back. Many thanks.