Will FM Recording Ever Be Upgraded To 44khz?

Hello everyone  :slight_smile:

This is my first post to the forum, so please accept my apologies in advance if I missed the answer to my question below, while I was searching the forum for info and answers.

First, let me say a big “thank you” to everyone who contributes answers to the forum - and to SanDisk tech ppl who also contribute - nice to know that you guys listen to Fuze users and can sometimes incorporate wishlist items into future upgrades.

I bought my first Fuze (8GB) a couple of weeks ago and have learned a heck of a lot by reading and searching the forum - thank you everyone.

I read the user manual but it did not explain everything about everything, but this forum sure did explain everything that I needed to know  :slight_smile:

I realised today that when recording from FM, the resulting WAV file is only 22khz. 

While I am very grateful that the Fuze records at all (a very nice feature), I noticed that the WAV file is very dull when played back - I recorded a few music shows from FM and while the FM broadcast is nice and bright (awesome quality, btw, on FM reception as well as on the playback of MP3, OGG, FLAC, WMA), the recorded WAV is missing a lot of the top frequencies when I listen to it.

I guess my question is for the Sansa tech people -  Is there any chance that a future firmware upgrade will enable the Fuze to record to 44khz WAV files, to give the better quality?

I know that the Fuze is primarily a player, and therefore the recording features are more of a nice bonus when comparing to other MP3 players, so please don’t think I am ungrateful…  however, if the Fuze could record at 44khz and a nice quality bitrate for the FM recording, it would be even more wonderful.

Thanks for reading/listening and thanks for making such a great machine (and thanks again to all the contributers for sharing your knowledge and experience in this forum). 

I have not heard this mentioned yet. My question would be “Can the hardware handle it?”. I dont know if there are any updates for this in the works but I would question if it is even possible.

Yeah, but if the Fuze was recording at 44khz, I’m quite sure it could possibly bring up hardware problems, and take up more room on the MP3 player. So, I don’t know about other MP3 Players, but I think if there’s anyone that’s going to make your idea happen, I wish I could say Sandisk, but I think Apple will sadly.

With the last firmware update, I think the Fuze has gotten a couple of features that other MP3 players don’t, like the folder navagation (which specficly tells you in detail about your music files and videos and photos, and more), and the unique Replay Gain feature (which allows you to adjust the volume of the track, (not similar to just turning the wheel at the music screen). So Sandisk has been doing very creative things to the Fuze, which is why I’m a proud Fuze owner.

Message Edited by pringles on 04-12-2009 04:21 PM

@pringles wrote:
Yeah, but if the Fuze was recording at 44khz, I’m quite sure it could possibly bring up hardware problems, and take up more room on the MP3 player. So, I don’t know about other MP3 Players, but I think if there’s anyone that’s going to make your idea happen, I wish I could say Sandisk, but I think Apple will sadly.

Why would you think that? They(Apple) don’t even have radio on their players, so to think they will come up with 44khz  FM recording seems a tad silly

( don’t be offended by the smiley…it’s a joke) :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:


@pringles wrote:
Yeah, but if the Fuze was recording at 44khz, I’m quite sure it could possibly bring up hardware problems, and take up more room on the MP3 player. So, I don’t know about other MP3 Players, but I think if there’s anyone that’s going to make your idea happen, I wish I could say Sandisk, but I think Apple will sadly.


Why would you think that? They(Apple) don’t even have radio on their players, so to think they will come up with 44khz  FM recording seems a tad silly

( don’t be offended by the smiley…it’s a joke) :wink:

for a minute there I thought that smiely was a terroist, but false alarm. I think sandisk will figure out how to get 44khz on the Fuze with a cleverly done firmware update, just like the other firmware updates. Just look at that awesome intro when you turn it on! Even my friends with their Ipod videos were jelous because of that!

Message Edited by pringles on 04-12-2009 04:34 PM

@pringles wrote:

for a minute there I thought that smiely was a terroist, but false alarm. I think sandisk will figure out how to get 44khz on the Fuze with a cleverly done firmware update, just like the other firmware updates. Just look at that awesome intro when you turn it on! Even my friends with their Ipod videos were jelous because of that!

Your friends are easily impressed. It is just a little video.

I strongly doubt Sandisk will keep investing a lot of time in new features for the firmware of their current players. The Fuze has had 2 major updates, for which we all are greatfull, but I strongly doubt we will see more beyond perhaps a bugfix update for issue introduced in the latest update.

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

7o9 wrote: 

 

I strongly doubt Sandisk will keep investing a lot of time in new features for the firmware of their current players. The Fuze has had 2 major updates, for which we all are grateful, but I strongly doubt we will see more beyond perhaps a bugfix update for issue introduced in the latest update.

 

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

Why not? I think the next firmware update will be a complete UI overhaul. Also to the OP, I also we wish we have customizable settings for everything. That would be great.

@yelped wrote:


7o9 wrote: 

 

I strongly doubt Sandisk will keep investing a lot of time in new features for the firmware of their current players. The Fuze has had 2 major updates, for which we all are grateful, but I strongly doubt we will see more beyond perhaps a bugfix update for issue introduced in the latest update.

 

I’d love to be proven wrong though.


Why not? I think the next firmware update will be a complete UI overhaul. Also to the OP, I also we wish we have customizable settings for everything. That would be great.

well just give me one more update that includes gapless playback and I wouldn’t give a crap what they do next! :wink:

Message Edited by oobergeek on 04-13-2009 03:28 PM

@oobergeek wrote:


well just give me one more update that includes gapless playback and I wouldn’t give a crap what they do next! :wink:

Message Edited by oobergeek on 04-13-2009 03:28 PM

Now that would be pretty cool. Anything would be cool as a new feature on the Fuze, as it keeps customer satisfaction to a high.