Why SanDisk might lose lots of $ on frustrated XP users

Dear Sansa team.

A decent DAP should be automatically recognized under - at least - XP, Vista and 7.  

However, the Sansa Clip+ is not automatically recongized under XP (at least). I connected the Clip+ to 4 different XP machines (3 desktops and 1 laptop) and none of them did recognize the Clip+. I always received the error message “a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work properly”

It’s the same problem as here
http://sansa.lithium.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=3913&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=3
and here
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=5774

As the Clip+ didn’t work on 4 different computers, I immediately concluded that it must be faulty and had put it already in an envelope to send it back to the shop where I purchased it. Right before posting it, I did a quick search, although I honestly deemed it pointless. And surprisingly enough, I learned how to solve the problem (MSC connection mode). But I am a very “experimental” guy … honestly, how many users do you think will bother to find out instead of assuming it’s broken? I am sure <1% ! That’s a lot of money for SanDisk spent on returned goods. 

I have had a lot of different DAPs in my life and believe me, most of them were cheap and crappy ones, not comparable to the Clip+, but so far EACH of them, even the crappiest ones, did automatically connect (i.e. were recognized) under XP.

CONCLUSION: settings > USB settings > automatic detection does NOT work (under XP at least)!

It’s not my money, but if I owned SanDisk, I would seriously look into this matter!
kind regards

Message Edited by Chris_Davideck on 07-17-2010 04:32 PM

Chris_Davideck wrote:

However, the Sansa Clip+ is not automatically recongized under XP (at least).

Funny . . . mine is.

And I’m pretty sure mine isn’t the only one. :stuck_out_tongue:

WMP10 was released in 2004, so theres probably not many PCs out there that don’t have it.  If you’ve got one, just run Windows Update or use MSC mode (which will work even if you haven’t updated your windows ever).

But really you should be running Windows Update at least once every couple years.  A machine that hasn’t been patched in half a decade or more is going to be loaded with spyware.   

MSC USB mode is a wondrous thing.

:slight_smile:

Miikerman wrote:

MSC USB mode is a wondrous thing.

:slight_smile:

And Auto-Detect ■■■■■!

@Tapeworm: I tried 4 different XP machines. 100% fail.
Even if you and some others did succeed doesn’t mean the problem doesn’t exist.

@Miikerman I think you didn’t read all of the OP.

@saratoga: Personally, I don’t know *ANYONE* who uses Windows Media Player. 95% of people I know use either Winamp or foobar2000. The remaining 5% use something else excluding WMP. If you don’t use it, there is no sense in udpating it. On the contrary, many folks have even removed WMP from the system. Plus, you entirely miss the point, because “autodection” means that the Clip+ should automatically fall back to MSC in case MTP is not supported by the host system, NOT play possum (i.e. feign death).

Message Edited by Chris_Davideck on 07-17-2010 04:43 PM

@chris_davideck wrote:

@saratoga: Personally, I don’t know *ANYONE* who uses Windows Media Player. 

Yeah, but this isn’t about what you know.  Its about whats actually on PCs, and nearly all of them have WMP10, since its been standard for over 5 years now.  So the only people who don’t have it are people with old PCs who never updated.  

Plus WMP is pretty popular among people buying low cost mp3 players, so its a natural choice.  For everyone else, theres MSC.    

Chris_Davideck wrote: 

Plus, you entirely miss the point, because “autodection” means that the Clip+ should automatically fall back to MSC in case MTP is not supported by the host system, NOT play possum (i.e. feign death).

I didn’t miss that point, I just didn’t think I needed to comment on it.  Of course I agree that improving MTP support would be a good idea.  

I have connected dozens of used Sansa players with no problems on my XP based computer. These players can be in any mode when I get them. The only ones not recognized have player faults, either hardware or soft/firmware. These are used players returned for problems.

ALWAYS CONNECT YOUR PLAYER WITH THE PLAYER TURNED OFF!!! This allows the USB port to “wake up” the device - works for me!!!

Chris_Davideck wrote:

Some? Try millions.

Tapeworm wrote:

Chris_Davideck wrote:

Some? Try millions.

I’m on my 4th Sansa player right now, and I have two more coming in the mail, and I’ve never had an issue with my XP computer or the new 7 Ultimate computer recognizing any of them, over about 2.5 years, I think.:dizzy_face:

Chris_Davideck wrote:

@Miikerman I think you didn’t read all of the OP.

Yep, I had, and I’ve long felt that simply using MSC mode fixes so many issues.  But, alas, it’s not the most “modern” tech. way (which would be seen as MTP) …

Having said that, if MTP mode worked smoothly and universally, it would in fact be the best way to go, as it does all MSC mode does and more, including DRM’ed files. 

I guess a value of a forum is that you can get user-based info. here, that isn’t in a manual (and lets face it:  the Clip manuals aren’t going to win an Academy Award this year …).

Some people have had issues with the Clip+ and Fuze in MTP mode when using Windows XP SP3.

The solution is to switch to MSC mode, or to uninstall then reinstall Windows Media Player.