Why is there so much problem with the media converter?

The firmware upgrade usualy relates to the OS/service that runs the hardware device. However, why is it that Sansa decided to associate a media or software converter with the firmware updater?

I’ve never seen so much related issue with one device. I ran into the same issue with my fuze, decided to research it and voila…literally thousands of threads on this issue alone. Hint Sansa? Maybe there’s something wrong with the way you’re deploying your documentations and application? Perhaps it’s confusing, inconsistent, or out-to-date? Or is it that thousands of people who bought your product is just dumb?

If all I need is the stupid media converter, why not provide a simple way to get it? If I want a firmware update, then so be it, give me the link to download the update and be done with it. Why the so many run-arounds?

So far, I’ve seen people strugle to get their media converter to work by going through the updater following documentations and instructions and nothing works. Then some say don’t do the updater, blah, blah blah.

I have an iPod and all it took was an hour of my time to setup iTune to sync with the device and soon after that I was viewing videos from Youtube!

This fuze device on the other hand is a curse for many of us who bought the product. If were not for my daughter who want to get one, I would not be wasting my time posting this message.

I am preaching to the choir and perhaps Sansa is deaf or has only a one-way ear but I created this message in addition to the already thousands of frustrated customers who can’t simply get this device to work properly the first time it’s plugged in…just to vent out.

I may never get this media ■■■■ converter to work…just my freakin luck. If I can return this piece-o-■■■■, I’d spend $60 more for the iPod nano and be done with it.

@javelin wrote:

However, why is it that Sansa decided to associate a media or software converter with the firmware updater?

Because SanDisk was paying untold and unneccesary royalty fees to the developers of the SMC. They didn’t create it. By restricting the download only to those obtained through the Sansa Updater, they can accurately track and correctly calculate the amount of royalties they are paying.

Everyone, including large corporations are counting their pennies today.

Interesting. I’m not sure how big Sandisk is but I’m sure they can hire 10 highly-skilled dedicated softare engineers from India to write an app for their product…that resolves the royalty fee issue. And I would not have any problem with the updater ONLY if it works…it doesn’t.

javelin wrote:
Interesting. I’m not sure how big Sandisk is but I’m sure they can hire 10 highly-skilled dedicated softare engineers from India to write an app for their product…that resolves the royalty fee issue. And I would not have any problem with the updater ONLY if it works…it doesn’t.

It wouldn’t take that many. There are a couple people here who have written programs that make video conversion easy & painless.

And in their spare time. :wink:

javelin wrote:
Interesting. I'm not sure how big Sandisk is but I'm sure they can hire 10 highly-skilled dedicated softare engineers from India to write an app for their product...that resolves the royalty fee issue. And I would not have any problem with the updater ONLY if it works...it doesn't.

It wouldn't take that many. There are a couple people here who have written programs that make video conversion easy & painless.

And in their spare time. :wink:

• Video4Fuze, submitted by ssorgatem
  • FuzeVidz, submitted by TomJensen
  • Edit: Unfortunately, Tom seems to have left the group and taken his program with him. :cry:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 05-17-2010 07:47 AM

I think “we” the customers are screwed… :frowning:

Message Edited by javelin on 05-17-2010 07:49 AM

Not really. As the saying goes, there’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. What do you do when you encounter a road-block when you’re driving somewhere? Do you sit and wait for it to be opened up again? Do you say “We’re screwed” and turn around and go back home?

No, you simply take an alternate route to your goal. There are several; you just need to discover which one is the one for you. :smiley: