Why is my new Clip different to my old one? A simple question.

Bought one last year, love it, got a new one recently. Only it is different in that when files are put on, I cannot change them - i.e. change the volume of files, rename, change the properties in any way.

This is quite annoying. I am used to changing files as I please, as I can with my old one. Is this because the files are now “read-only”? Can I make them NOT read-only?

Not sure I’ve worded my question in an understandable way, but does anyone know what I mean? Or have any advice?

Thanks.

What USB mode did you have the new player set to? What mode was the old one set to?

The factory default in Auto Defect. A mode not recommended around here for the obvious nick-name reason. Best to change it to MSC mode; that’s probably what your old one was set to and you don’t remember changing it or setting it up that way. :wink:

You might also want to check and see if the firmware between the 2 is the same (under the Info. screen under System settings).

Firmware on old one: V01.02.15P

Firmware on new one: V01.02.15A.  Much difference?

Yes indeed, my old one is set to USB mode MSC, and the new one is Auto Defect.

So I set my new one to MSC, but when I plug it in Windows 7 goes: “You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.”

A little strange as the Clip shows as drive (E: ) in My Computer. That’s Windows for you I guess. When I go into it, the folders are there, AUDIBLE, AUDIOBOOKS, MUSIC etc, but all show as empty.

So I’m assuming changing to MSC has kind of solved my problem, but I’m gonna have to format if I really want to have the new Clip the same as the old? Or maybe I could do as described here: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/~/enabling-or-forcing-msc-mode-on-your-sansa-player and ‘force’ it into MSC mode??

Thanks for your help anyway, I’m unfamiliar with all these technical terms, but I’m slowly picking it up!

If you have copies of the music on your pc, then format the player using the player’s menu(settings, system settings, format), then copy the songs to the player. Editing the files on the player can cause issues. It is always best to edit the copies on the pc, delete the copies on the player, then copy the files to the player again.

@jellyfiish wrote:

Firmware on old one: V01.02.15P

Firmware on new one: V01.02.15A.  Much difference?

Yes indeed, my old one is set to USB mode MSC, and the new one is Auto Defect.

So I set my new one to MSC, but when I plug it in Windows 7 goes: “You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.”

A little strange as the Clip shows as drive (E: ) in My Computer. That’s Windows for you I guess. When I go into it, the folders are there, AUDIBLE, AUDIOBOOKS, MUSIC etc, but all show as empty.

So I’m assuming changing to MSC has kind of solved my problem, but I’m gonna have to format if I really want to have the new Clip the same as the old? Or maybe I could do as described here: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61/~/enabling-or-forcing-msc-mode-on-your-sansa-player and ‘force’ it into MSC mode??

Thanks for your help anyway, I’m unfamiliar with all these technical terms, but I’m slowly picking it up!

Here’s a listing as to the firmware option differences between firmwares with a different letter ending.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25408

Note that with the older player, the MSC mode is “forced.” that is, selected for you by the firmware automatically, while with the new player, the mode is left at the default Auto select, and as you note.  Hence, differences in operation, perhaps explaining your issues.

I’m not sure why you are getting a format message with the new player when you set to MSC mode.  But just to keep things simple, I might reformat the player from its System settings options, as noted above (transfer any files back to your computer first, unless you don’t mind losing them–the format will erase them; as part of this, set the player back to the USB Auto detect mode first, so that your computer can see the files). 

Also, and keeping things the same between the players, you might want to upgrade to the latest firmware for each player (there’s a newer version out)–see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum.  It’s easy to do and will only take a few minutes.  Note that after the upgrade, you will need to reset your system settings (again easy to do)–as part of this, my personal recommendation is to set the USB mode to MSC, to avoid possible issues (unless you listen to DRM’ed files, in which case you should set to MTP mode).

Hope this helps!   :slight_smile:

Thanks all. Took my music off the Clip (not much there anyway), formatted from the Clip, changed to MSC, put music back on, Windows now treats it the same as the old one, job done!

Didn’t bother with the firmware update (well, tried using the Sansa Firmware Updater, it didn’t work), because I don’t see the need. All is well. Thanks again.